need tire advice - 12C - McLaren Life
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 11-16-2016, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Owner

need tire advice - 12C

Searched posts, but I can't find discussion on this:

In market for tires, planning on going with OEM P-Zeros.

I have option on rears, OEM size, but should I go with 103Y or 99Y ?

I understand higher load concept, but does that affect grip at all? I drive fast, do not track car, but 150 mph+ is common for me. What are your thoughts on 103Y or 99Y ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 11-16-2016, 01:43 AM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Michelin Pilot Super Sport PSS Tires for MP4-12C

I opted not to go with the OEM PZero's. Not the greatest tire. Some more tire info in the above thread.
post #3 of 39 Old 11-16-2016, 12:51 PM

I believe it's the 99y you want. The 103 is spec for the p1. On the Trofeo, the 103 actually measures out wider than the 99, increasing the risk of rubbing.

post #4 of 39 Old 11-16-2016, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Owner

thanks Zombie and JT !

Does anyone know if 99Y or 103Y makes any difference on grip ?
post #5 of 39 Old 11-16-2016, 01:35 PM
Owner

Garage
Just had the same issue. Honestly considering the winter months where we live; I opted to stay OEM. Wanted to go with MSC2 but realistically I would be sliding all around. Just installed yesterday, not sure about the white lettering.... should I keep or not? Also, don't judge the right rear, valet at fault there; will have it fixed this week.
Attached Images

post #6 of 39 Old 11-16-2016, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Owner

McLoven,
Do you know if you got 103Y or 99Y on the rear?

(I'm on the fence about white lettering; if I see orange lettering, I would probably jump for it)
post #7 of 39 Old 11-16-2016, 03:09 PM
Owner

This is what P Zeros do when driven hard, they suck
Attached Images

current stable;
- 2012 McLaren MP4-12C
- 2006 Ford GT
- 2014 Range Rover HSE SC
- 1999 Kubota 480L tractor
- 1965 Mustang GT350R clone
- Rolls Royce Meteor V-12 tank engine!!
post #8 of 39 Old 11-16-2016, 05:19 PM
Owner

Garage
I put on PSS's and I love them. My Dealer's chief mechanic drove my car and couldn't stop raving about how much better they are.

Joe
ZombiePhysicist likes this.

Joe A
2016 CAYENNE GTS
2014 MP 4 12C Volcano Red
2012 ASTON MARTIN VIRAGE
2010 AUDI R8 V10
2006 FORD GT
2006 FISKER TRAMONTO (No. 001)
2006 FERRARI F430Spider
2002 BMW Z 8
1971 JAGUAR E TYPE ROADSTER
1931 FORD MODEL A ROADSTER DELUXE
post #9 of 39 Old 11-16-2016, 05:27 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLoven View Post
Just had the same issue. Honestly considering the winter months where we live; I opted to stay OEM. Wanted to go with MSC2 but realistically I would be sliding all around. Just installed yesterday, not sure about the white lettering.... should I keep or not? Also, don't judge the right rear, valet at fault there; will have it fixed this week.
For your next tire, McLoven, you might consider the Pilot Super Sports instead of the M2C2. If you follow this link Michelin Pilot Super Sport PSS Tires for MP4-12C, you'll see I got stuck in some light (maybe more than light) snow and the PSS hold up great--much better than the Cup 2s in harsher weather. And also much better than the PZeros. My dealer installed them, so it's been a no muss no fuss solution. They last super long. I think it's been about 20,000 miles (including at least 3 track days) and they still have another 3000 miles or so in them .

As always, YMMV.

Last edited by ZombiePhysicist; 11-16-2016 at 05:30 PM.
post #10 of 39 Old 11-18-2016, 03:04 PM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
McLoven,
Do you know if you got 103Y or 99Y on the rear?

(I'm on the fence about white lettering; if I see orange lettering, I would probably jump for it)
Markj,

We went 99Y on the rear.

ZP. Thanks, I will get an extra set of wheels and put PSS's on to see the difference. If you rave about 'em, then they must be solid.
post #11 of 39 Old 03-08-2017, 09:43 AM

Has anyone already tried the new Micheline Pilot Sport 4 S? I need some new tires and this one is getting very good reviews.

Thanks!
post #12 of 39 Old 03-08-2017, 11:07 AM
AWH

Quote:
Originally Posted by potemkin View Post
Has anyone already tried the new Micheline Pilot Sport 4 S? I need some new tires and this one is getting very good reviews.

Thanks!
I have just finished up testing them against the new Continental ExtremeContact Sport on my 12C for Grassroots Motorsports magazine. Dry track testing (Harris Hill Raceway) and wet (Texas World Speedway)...as well as on some country roads. I can't get too detailed publicly until the print copy hits in a month or so, but can offer some advice. PM me if you need more details. I also attended the media launch events for both and have some in-car time comparing against other competitive tires like the Pirelli.

In short, both of these tires are a delight to drive on, and have similar characteristics. They are both way better than either the old or new PZero. Both are good choices for a McLaren that sees spirited street use with occasional track time.

The biggest contrast is in ability to channel deep water...the Michelin has less void area with wider tread blocks and narrower channels than the Conti. But it also has more wet steady-state grip.

Since most McLarens are not driven at speed when wet enough for deep puddles, I'd recommend the PS4S for that application. It really is an amazing tire.

One more thing...sizing. PS4S runs big for its size, so the rear 305/30-20 fits really square on the OE 20x11" wheels. I actually chose a 255/30-19 for the front, instead of 235/35-19. The Conti fits that 19x8.5" rim perfectly, with the PS4S being a little more "shouldery". The bigger front rubber made the car a bit more neutral on corner entry.
post #13 of 39 Old 03-08-2017, 11:13 AM
AWH

Pics for reference...
Attached Images

post #14 of 39 Old 03-08-2017, 11:17 AM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWH View Post
I have just finished up testing them against the new Continental ExtremeContact Sport on my 12C for Grassroots Motorsports magazine. Dry track testing (Harris Hill Raceway) and wet (Texas World Speedway)...as well as on some country roads. I can't get too detailed publicly until the print copy hits in a month or so, but can offer some advice. PM me if you need more details. I also attended the media launch events for both and have some in-car time comparing against other competitive tires like the Pirelli.

In short, both of these tires are a delight to drive on, and have similar characteristics. They are both way better than either the old or new PZero. Both are good choices for a McLaren that sees spirited street use with occasional track time.

The biggest contrast is in ability to channel deep water...the Michelin has less void area with wider tread blocks and narrower channels than the Conti. But it also has more wet steady-state grip.

Since most McLarens are not driven at speed when wet enough for deep puddles, I'd recommend the PS4S for that application. It really is an amazing tire.

One more thing...sizing. PS4S runs big for its size, so the rear 305/30-20 fits really square on the OE 20x11" wheels. I actually chose a 255/30-19 for the front, instead of 235/35-19. The Conti fits that 19x8.5" rim perfectly, with the PS4S being a little more "shouldery". The bigger front rubber made the car a bit more neutral on corner entry.
Wow, that's a big front tire. Did you get new rims? I think you recommended the porsche N spec right?

Michelin Pilot Super Sport PSS Tires for MP4-12C

Looking forward to the release of your full review!

I think I might be replacing my tires in April during the next service. Will see what the guys say about how much tread I have left...
post #15 of 39 Old 03-08-2017, 11:28 AM
AWH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiePhysicist View Post
Wow, that's a big front tire. Did you get new rims? I think you recommended the porsche N spec right?
The N Spec rec is what one of the Michelin design team told me for McLaren. But...what I tested was the "normal" spec tire. And they were awesome. So personally, I can recommend those. W/o back-to-backing with the N Spec, I cannot offer comparison.

I do have two sets of rims, but both are OE sized as mentioned above. Second set is OZ Racing, which are similar in weight to the OE Lightweights.

I also just got a pair of OZ's in 19x10 for the front, but I need to do some mods to them first before testing. That was my other ulterior motive for getting 255's.
ZombiePhysicist likes this.

Last edited by AWH; 03-08-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.