Check your Oil Level - Page 2 - McLaren Life
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 25 Old 01-05-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSIIICK View Post
So I just ran a check on my oil as well. Noticed I'm a few notches below the green line? Does 1 quart equate to about 1 notch? Is optimal level even with the green line?
Noooo!!!! See the chart posted by Valentin in post #6 above!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 Old 01-05-2017, 07:26 PM
2016 650S Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
That's an interesting theory. But I don't know if it's what's happening here because I only added 1.25 quarts to go from the bottom red tick to the to the bottom green tick. Doesn't seem like 1.25 quarts would cause aeration in a dry sump system with 8.5 quart capacity. Fully topped off to the maximum tick is around 8.75 quarts. I was essentially down to 7 quarts based on what I added in. For the dry sump system to aerate on anything over 6 quarts seems like a stretch. Interesting theory though.
It puzzles me too, but I was simply trying to figure out how low oil might cause rough idle. It may be that your rough idle was just coincidental, and caused you (fortuitously) to check the oil level. If the rough idle was truly caused by low oil and cured by topping up, then you have the head-scratcher. Unless the pressure pump is (borderline) sucking air, I can't see how low oil level in the system can cause such behaviour.

It would be interesting to know how much oil the reservoir holds. A lot of that 8.5qt capacity will be used in filling the oil channels and internal spaces, pumps, oil cooler and miscellaneous plumbing, with some held up (especially with a cold engine and high oil viscosity) in drainage areas.
post #18 of 25 Old 01-06-2017, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
So I just ran a check on my oil as well. Noticed I'm a few notches below the green line? Does 1 quart equate to about 1 notch? Is optimal level even with the green line?
No. Add in quarter or half quart increments then retest if below the green. You don't want to overfill.

2012 MP4-12C Alpha 7 - Fire Black
post #19 of 25 Old 01-06-2017, 01:23 AM
@ChaseZimmerman
Owner

Garage
Quote:
No. Add in quarter or half quart increments then retest if below the green. You don't want to overfill.
Perfect! Thank you! I am correct to assume that optimal level is even with the green line?

Current: 2012 McLaren MP4-12C - McLaren Orange / Carbon Black
Past: 2014 Audi R8 V10 / 2012 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Spyder Performante / 2011 Rolls-Royce Ghost Mansory / 2010 Audi R8 V10 / 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo Vorsteiner / 2009 Audi R8 V8 / 2009 Nissan GTR / 2009 Mercedes-Benz CL63 AMG / 2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera
post #20 of 25 Old 01-07-2017, 01:18 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Perfect! Thank you! I am correct to assume that optimal level is even with the green line?
1/10th of a quart is about one tick. Don't put 1/2 of a quart at a time.

You need to be very careful that you don't over fill it.
post #21 of 25 Old 01-07-2017, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricko View Post

The chart shows 1/5th is one tick, and it's not even linear because it jumps around in the chart. Real world is more like 1/4. If he's a couple ticks below the green, going 1/2 quart to start and a 1/4 quart after won't overfill. It would take almost 1 full quart past the green line to hit the red overfill according to the chart (Remove 1 liter). If you want to play it real safe, 1/4 at a time is fine, based on my experience. Doing in 1/10 increments would take forever to get back to the fill line. Realistically, he's probably 1/2 - 3/4 quart low if he's a few ticks below the bottom green line.

Last edited by Excelsior; 01-07-2017 at 03:07 AM.
post #22 of 25 Old 01-07-2017, 02:44 PM
@ChaseZimmerman
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricko View Post

Thank you!

Quote:
The chart shows 1/5th is one tick, and it's not even linear because it jumps around in the chart. Real world is more like 1/4. If he's a couple ticks below the green, going 1/2 quart to start and a 1/4 quart after won't overfill. It would take almost 1 full quart past the green line to hit the red overfill according to the chart (Remove 1 liter). If you want to play it real safe, 1/4 at a time is fine, based on my experience. Doing in 1/10 increments would take forever to get back to the fill line. Realistically, he's probably 1/2 - 3/4 quart low if he's a few ticks below the bottom green line.
I appreciate that! So I assume as I fill I should re-check the oil level doing the entire procedure again?
Patricko likes this.

Past: 2014 Audi R8 V10 / 2012 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Spyder Performante / 2011 Rolls-Royce Ghost Mansory / 2010 Audi R8 V10 / 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo Vorsteiner / 2009 Audi R8 V8 / 2009 Nissan GTR / 2009 Mercedes-Benz CL63 AMG / 2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera
post #23 of 25 Old 01-07-2017, 02:45 PM
@ChaseZimmerman
Owner

Garage
Complete side note... Just so you guys are aware, the netting in the front of the car (within the trunk) hold two quarts perfectly side by side (standing vertically).

post #24 of 25 Old 01-07-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Thank you!

I appreciate that! So I assume as I fill I should re-check the oil level doing the entire procedure again?
Yes, recheck in between each increment that you add. I would then go out and drive, and recheck again at full running temp.
Patricko likes this.

post #25 of 25 Old 01-08-2017, 04:50 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Thank you!

Yes, you just need to make sure you don't over fill it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.