Vinyl over or under Xpel? - McLaren Life
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By eMcL

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-01-2016, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
MBG
Owner

Vinyl over or under Xpel?

Getting a few parts of a car vinyl wrapped and am getting conflicting info on vinyl over/under the Xpel.

Case for over is that the vinyl can theoretically be removed if you want to change the look without removing the Xpel. Case for under is that the vinyl isn't as durable and doesn't self-heal like Xpel ultimate / will get chewed up over time.

Appreciate perspectives from those that have done this before.

MBG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-02-2016, 10:40 AM
Recent Convert
Owner

Garage
I'm interested to hear some views on this as well

VR 650S Spider 14k miles done in 14 months!
post #3 of 10 Old 07-02-2016, 10:55 AM
nh4

Garage
Hmm, that might just be a personal preference thing. I would probably go with vinyl under the Xpel if I was confident in the design I was doing with the vinyl. So long as you have good installers, the Xpel can be removed just as the vinyl, so there isn't much stopping you from going either way. One thing I would recommend asking your installer is how well the vinyl adheres to the Xpel over time. If I remember correctly, I think @ZombiePhysicist had vinyl over his Xpel when he did his around-the-US drive last year and the vinyl was a bit beat up by the time he was done.

-Jamie.

“I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac

post #4 of 10 Old 07-02-2016, 12:31 PM

I don't have vinyl on my cars but have seen an install.
If the job is "permanent" then you would want to apply the vinyl first to give the vinyl the Xpel protection from stone chipping. If the vinyl look is temporary then you would want to apply the vinyl over the Xpel for removal. The Xpel has a self healing property whereas vinyl which is much thinner does not.
It is not easy to apply Xpel over vinyl when the vinyl area to be covered is large. This is because the Xpel tends to "stick" to the vinyl surface and be difficult to adjust (move) over the vinyl during installation. The soapy water used during the install process sets up a thin slick surface over paint which then allows for some minor alignment adjustments. If the double covered area is small it is then much easier to place the Xpel in the correct position in one try and not require any movement over the vinyl. Best if you can find an installer that has done an Xpel over vinyl install already and has experience. You could also try calling Xpel help line and check if they can provide any help with Xpel over vinyl installs. But my guess is they will only give advice on Xpel over paint.
SSIIICK likes this.

Last edited by eMcL; 07-02-2016 at 12:33 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-05-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBG View Post
Getting a few parts of a car vinyl wrapped and am getting conflicting info on vinyl over/under the Xpel.

Case for over is that the vinyl can theoretically be removed if you want to change the look without removing the Xpel. Case for under is that the vinyl isn't as durable and doesn't self-heal like Xpel ultimate / will get chewed up over time.

Appreciate perspectives from those that have done this before.

MBG
We've had many people install the PPF first and then vinyl over the film. Many people do this for full-color changes and accent pieces for Rallys (goldRush Rally, Corsa, Gumball, etc etc.)

It comes down to preference, but from what we've seen its usually PPF then Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
I don't have vinyl on my cars but have seen an install.
If the job is "permanent" then you would want to apply the vinyl first to give the vinyl the Xpel protection from stone chipping. If the vinyl look is temporary then you would want to apply the vinyl over the Xpel for removal. The Xpel has a self-healing property whereas vinyl which is much thinner does not.
It is not easy to apply Xpel over vinyl when the vinyl area to be covered is large. This is because the Xpel tends to "stick" to the vinyl surface and be difficult to adjust (move) over the vinyl during installation. The soapy water used during the install process sets up a thin slick surface over paint which then allows for some minor alignment adjustments. If the double covered area is small it is then much easier to place the Xpel in the correct position in one try and not require any movement over the vinyl. Best if you can find an installer that has done an Xpel over vinyl install already and has experience. You could also try calling Xpel help line and check if they can provide any help with Xpel over vinyl installs. But my guess is they will only give advice on Xpel over paint.
We have installers that install PPF over the vinyl stripes on many vehicles (corvette, mustang, etc) and if removed properly, it should not remove the vinyl. There is always a chance it can remove the vinyl, but we'd recommend film installed first and then vinyl on top. Plenty of customers that do ULTIMATE, then Vinyl, also install a ceramic coating which helps prevent some minor swirl marks and makes cleaning a bit easier

XPEL Technologies Corp.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-05-2016, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
MBG
Owner

Thanks Xpel. Any opinion on how well the vinyl holds up if it's on top of Xpel and it's on lower surfaces of the car, like side skirt/front lip/side intakes? It's those lower areas and the roof that I'm considering for a vinyl wrap.

MBG

Stay in school kids!

2012 McLaren MP4-12C, Standard Blue, HRE S204 (color matched)
2015 Lamborghini Huracan 610-4, Bianco Icarus / Nero Ade / Rosso Alala, FI Exhaust
2016 Infiniti QX80, a.k.a. "Tankamus" - will run over the McL or Lambo
Instagram: MBGCars
post #7 of 10 Old 07-05-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBG View Post
Thanks Xpel. Any opinion on how well the vinyl holds up if it's on top of Xpel and it's on lower surfaces of the car, like side skirt/front lip/side intakes? It's those lower areas and the roof that I'm considering for a vinyl wrap.

MBG

It'll respond the same way as if it was on bare paint, although you have ease of mind knowing that once you remove the damaged vinyl you'll have your paint protection film there instead of rock chips in your paint.

Since vinyl is thinner and doesnt have self-healing properties, it's hard to say how well it will hold up...May be over kill but... PPF, Vinyl and then add an extra layer of ULTIMATE on the skirts, lip and intakes to help prevent removing and replacing the vinyl on a monthly basis

XPEL Technologies Corp.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-05-2016, 02:43 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nh4 View Post
Hmm, that might just be a personal preference thing. I would probably go with vinyl under the Xpel if I was confident in the design I was doing with the vinyl. So long as you have good installers, the Xpel can be removed just as the vinyl, so there isn't much stopping you from going either way. One thing I would recommend asking your installer is how well the vinyl adheres to the Xpel over time. If I remember correctly, I think @ZombiePhysicist had vinyl over his Xpel when he did his around-the-US drive last year and the vinyl was a bit beat up by the time he was done.

-Jamie.
I had the 3M stuff over the Xpel. The Xpel held up great. After about 12000 miles, the 3M stuff started to disintegrate. You can see it here:

Zombie's (Fun and Fund) Around North America
post #9 of 10 Old 07-05-2016, 04:08 PM

Just my 2c - I'd go over the top of Xpel every time. From experience I've had car Xpel'd, CQuartz and then vinyl applied and no issues with adhesion at all. I look at it in the light that the vinyl is another layer of protection for the car. Yes it does take a rock chip or two (depending on where it's placed on the car) but I'm guessing in most cases replacing the vinyl piece will be way cheaper than the Xpel piece. Generally you can't see the nick in the vinyl unless you're really looking for it and only the owner will be doing that. It can always be removed if you, or the new owner, doesn't like it. Or just if you want to change the color, pattern up every once in a while. And lastly if you apply Xpel or any PPF over the vinyl there's always a possibility of trapping air over the slightly raised surface of the vinyl. Small I know but could always be an area of weakness where the Xpel might start to lift at some time.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-20-2017, 10:38 AM

Vinyl under Xpel will be a good choice if you don’t want to change the design but if you are willing to give your car a new look frequently then you should go for vinyl over Xpel. For my new car, definitely going to get vehicle wraps over Xpel soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.