New IRIS System - Photos + First Impressions - McLaren Life

McLaren Life McLaren Forum McLaren MP4-12C ::

New IRIS System - Photos + First Impressions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
Owner

Default New IRIS System - Photos + First Impressions

Finally got around to posting the photos of the new IRIS system, as I mentioned in my previous post on the subject. Here's what I learned during my time with the system @ Pebble Beach last week:

* The first company that made IRIS went belly-up just one month before the 12C launched, and it wasn't done.

* New IRIS is made by Parrot for McLaren. Very clearly runs Android when you get into the Settings, and see they keyboard, but otherwise, the GUI is very similar to the original IRIS.

* Upgrade is sold to customers at cost; I was told $1,800 in the US. Replacement takes approximately 3 hours, and includes a new display, head unit, hard buttons, and USB/input box.

* Bluetooth audio streaming works from iPhone! Such a nice feature.

* Instant contact lookup via BT on iPhone.

* Possible to tether your phone to IRIS, with IRIS as the host (though I'm not clear on whether or not all cars have 3G service; I think that's what the white telephone icon with the green waves indicates, but uncertain). Was not able to access internet features without tethering the other way around (my iPhone as host).

* Touch screen is MUCH more responsive, and I no longer hit the wrong letter on the keyboard (as I do *every time* with the original IRIS)

* The voice button is my favorite feature. Hard button at the top right of the four, press it once and you'll choose between "Contacts" or "Music", then you can launch a matching music station thanks to TuneIn (when tethered to the internet). I would imagine it will also search your synced music, but unable to test.

* Apps folder currently has Browser, Maps, TuneIn, and Weather. No word on how to sideload new apps, but I'll be playing with that one quickly when I get my own

* Full web browser, but looks quite rough right now. Not final.

* Unable to test nav since car was stationary. Currently, it takes a long time to load, but they're working on pre-loading it instead so that there are minimal delays.

Overall, it's a big step in the right direction, and running Android with built-in wifi will make it really easy to update the OS in the future, without having to bring the car in to McLaren. Most functions loaded very fast, and the touch screen is a massive improvement. It's the most well-connected system that I've personally been able to play with. What manufacturers have so much online integration? Specifically, the TuneIn music lookup (kind of like Pandora) was the best feature for me.

And, photos! A few video clips coming soon.

Please ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them based on my time with the system. And please don't turn this thread into a crying session about having to pay for the new system. I know that I would have paid a lot more than $1,800 for the 25hp upgrade we got for free last year

Car history: 101 cars, and a 2012 Volcano Orange MP4-12C Coupe
MP4GASM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor
Old 08-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
Professional Bum
InnerCircle
Owner

I'm sold! When will it be available for us to buy?

2012 12c
FastZilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
OWNER

$1800 is a bargain upgrade from McLaren. Jason and Mark are you in for a trip to Vancouver?

MP4-12C
Audi R8
997 Tubo Cab

Last edited by Vincent; 08-26-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
Owner

I was told starting in October, but might be supply-limited so talk to your dealer soon

Video walkthroughs of sorts; you can see how responsive most of the system is right now. (private, but I think they should still embed fine?)

Last edited by MP4GASM; 08-26-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
Professional Bum
InnerCircle
Owner

Any sat radio?

2012 12c
Old 08-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
Owner

No, no satellite radio now (and that'd only be for the US market as I understand it). Looking into it for next year.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
Owner

BRAIN EXPLODING. How is Google working? Do they let you tether the car off your phone? Does it have built in 3/4G cellular? I saw the hotspot screen for a second, but wasnt clear if that means tether or that the car has it's own cellular and provides hotspot features. If so, is the cellular free, or is there a monthly charge?

Does NAV receive traffic updates via that connection? If so, both those features were not in the original 12C brochure, and IMO, justify the expense of the upgrade.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm all jazzed and excited. Like xmas come early!

Thanks so much MP4GASM!
jkheit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
Owner

Yes, the new IRIS has wifi. I set up my iPhone as the hotspot, and tethered the car to the phone.

Did not get a definitive answer on cellular built into the car. I see what I think is the icon for that (any Android experts on here?), but if it did, it did not have an active plan in that car as it would not do anything requiring internet connectivity until I tethered my iPhone.

It does indeed have its own hotspot feature, which makes me think that there is indeed 3g included in the car. I did tether my phone *to* the car, but didn't get me much (other than seeing that it did establish a connection).

Wish I had even more answers for you, but I got everything out of the folks that I could think of, and it was all VERY new to them as well so we learned a lot together

The future looks very bright for IRIS! I'd love to know whether Parrot will be responsible for future updates, or if McLaren will be doing some directly, or what that relationship looks like. But if they keep doing updates and send them OTA via the new wifi, we should be in an awesome spot.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #9
Owner

HURRAYYYYYYY. Tethering! Tethering is better, because, unless they put LTE in this thing, with 3G it's instantly dated. So this lets you just connect via WiFi and piggy back on the latest technology.

What's great about that app folder is I can see that it would be very easy for them to add "iOS in the Car" right there, do all the VNC stuff, and it should work brilliantly.

Since the tethering works, the only 3 features I'm now hoping for are reasonable to hope for. (1) Traffic in NAV. (2) iOS in the Car integration. And I can even hope for a (3), where they open the apps folder section up to Android apps!
jkheit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
noob
InnerCircle
Owner

Name: Walter

Wonderful news. Truly. Thanks for the work.

Who was the engineer talking? It wasn't Simon was it?
Walt of Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #11
Owner

Happy I could help out! I was so excited when I learned that the 12C had the new IRIS system and that I'd be able to play with it. Simon was awesome, but Chris is the one who sat next to me and went through the system with me. Simon came by for a bit, but I think he got bored pretty quickly as we geeked out over everything. Every single person I met @ McLaren the whole weekend was awesome. Readily available, very knowledgable, and always friendly. Top job McLaren!

Old 08-27-2013, 12:29 AM   #12
Professional Bum
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP4GASM View Post
Happy I could help out! I was so excited when I learned that the 12C had the new IRIS system and that I'd be able to play with it. Simon was awesome, but Chris is the one who sat next to me and went through the system with me. Simon came by for a bit, but I think he got bored pretty quickly as we geeked out over everything. Every single person I met @ McLaren the whole weekend was awesome. Readily available, very knowledgable, and always friendly. Top job McLaren!
These cars are about more than simply owning & driving one - it's the experience of ownership. McLaren is batting 1000 in my book on this to date.

2012 12c
Old 08-27-2013, 12:30 AM   #13
noob
InnerCircle
Owner

Name: Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastZilla View Post
These cars are about more than simply owning & driving one - it's the experience of ownership. McLaren is batting 1000 in my book on this to date.
Completely agree. +1
Walt of Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #14
Owner

Fantastic. I'm sold on this.
noone1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 01:21 AM   #15
Owner

Sold and I never will use it - yet It's worth every penny if I never have to read another post about Mclarens "IRIS" failure.

MP4GASM you just made this whole forum 1000x better!

Thank You!

MP4-12C FireBlack 16M GrigioFerro 360C 69z28 AH3000 Rally RR Fordx2 CJ7
Champagne612 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
McLaren Life McLaren Forum McLaren MP4-12C New IRIS System - Photos + First Impressions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.