McLaren Life banner

Software Update

6K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  ZombiePhysicist 
#1 ·
I took my 12C in for the software update yesterday. The dealer had some kind of hardware problem which prevented them from doing the update. They started the process again today, but then they got a new software update from McLaren (I was told it was version 3). So they aborted the install and started fresh with version 3. Anyone else heard of this?

I'm all for continually refining the software, but let's just say I'm unamused that McLaren apparently has such a difficult time getting things right the first time. If this were a scrappy start-up I might find these missteps endearing. But since the company trades on Ron Dennis's reputation for perfection, these problems just cause me to lose confidence in the brand.

#4 ·
#5 · (Edited)
Some of the folks on this board seem to have better access to information than others, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone had heard something. For example, fastfwd--how did you know that the new version--the version that came out this morning--fixed mostly IRIS bugs? My McLaren dealer did not even know a new version was coming.

Maybe I'm the only one who finds the opacity of this update irritating. If I had known that McLaren was still improving the software update, I would have held off taking my car in until they had it right.

#6 ·
My McLaren dealer did not even know a new version was coming.
And when it arrived, he just started installing it on customer cars without first asking the factory what it fixed? Wow, I don't even update the apps on my phone without checking their changelogs first.

Maybe I'm the only one who finds the opacity irritating. If I had know that McLaren was still improving the software update, I would have held off taking my car in until they had it right.
No, of course it's irritating. And I'm sure it's especially so for people who live hundreds of miles from the nearest dealer.

But how long do you want to wait for the software to be "done"? I'm sure you could have asked your dealer to install the 2013 update today and schedule the 2014 update for a year from now when it'll presumably be out of development, but would that really be any better? At least this way you have some version of the 2014 update right away.

I'm not trying to explain or apologize for McLaren's software development process. I guess I'm just not very surprised when a British car manufacturer has problems with something electrical, and I'm glad that in this case the problems don't extend very far beyond the entertainment-system software. Headlights and fuel pump still work great on my 12C.

#7 ·
I have no idea what the tech did before installing the update--I'll interrogate him tonight when I pick the car up. I suspect he gave it very little thought since I doubt he had the discretion to decide which version he preferred. I am still curious, though, about how you found out what version 3 addressed.

Since this is version 3 in little over a month's time, I think it's clear that their software development process is broken. They shouldn't be beta testing this on customers. If they are going to release update without the proper testing, at least let us know--then I can make an informed decision about how long I should wait until the software is "done."

#8 ·
I'll interrogate him tonight when I pick the car up
Good. I expect that his business is probably subject to regulations that require him to provide you with a detailed description of the work he's performed on your car. "Updated software to version xxxx" is no more descriptive than "fixed what was broken"; if you ask nicely and/or persistently, you should be able to get him to tell you (or find out from the factory and then tell you) what the update actually did.

#12 ·
Got my car back. I asked the service advisor what version 3 updated. She emailed me some information, which turned out just to be the service bulletin for platform 13. My work order just states "PERFORMED SOFTWARE UPDATE VERSION 13.0 VERSION 3." So it could be IRIS updates, fixes to the backup camera, or something else. Who knows. It seems probable there will be subsequent versions. Hopefully others will have better luck with jackbooted interrogation techniques to figure out if it's worth getting the latest and greatest.

#17 ·
I hope that's not true. I mean they still maintain the F1 (granted, its in a different league, but still). Not that I expect it to be top priority or get updates as fast. At the very least, I expect it to get IRIS 2 updates, since the system is basically the exact same thing on all the cars.

#16 ·
I for one think its awesome Mclaren is still developing and updating their 12c. No other company does that. I love my 12c. And the improvements they continue to do to the car is impressive. Thx Mclaren!!!

#20 ·
At the risk of sounding like a malcontent, is what McLaren is doing all that special? A cynical reading of this is that they are mostly fixing known problems, but by calling it a free upgrade, people slobber all over themselves to praise McLaren. Here's what Platform 13 addressed:

--fix fuel level guage: not an upgrade, fixing a known problem
--fuel filter actuator reset: not an upgrade, fixing a known problem
--HVAC fultter: not an upgrade, fixing a known problem
--middle east speed warning: not an upgrade
--capability to retrofit camera, DAB: not an upgrade, merely giving people the ability to buy aftermarket accessories
--intermittent loss of Meridian sound: not an upgrade, fixing a known problem
--navigation day/night debounce correct: not an upgrade, fixing a known problem
--DRS function included: arguably an upgrade

So it seems to me that McLaren is merely fixing know problems, something every car company tries to do (and they generally do it faster!). The one thing that McLaren did that other companies don't generally do is orphan its customers after only 3 model years of production, all in the hopes of making a second first impression.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 12C and will keep it for many years. I just don't understand all the praise heaped on the company for poorly rolling out fixes in the guise of "upgrades."

#21 ·
I don't understand your comment on camera and DAB not being an upgrade. It's not an aftermarket thing, it's a McLaren upgrade. A paid upgrade, but it's from McLaren. Would I prefer this were free, sure, but I do appreciate having the option to upgrade.

Why is DRS "arguably" and upgrade and not an outright upgrade? I guess if you don't like/want it, you can ask not to have it. But going from non-active aero, to active aero sounds definitively like an upgrade to me.

Also, they clearly made further refinements to the ride/suspension, shifting, throttle. Is that an upgrade or a bug fix? Fair minded folks can agree to disagree on that point. I think refinements are upgrades. They figure how they could make the care run/perform better, and we get the benefit of that insight in our current cars without having to buy a whole new car. A lot of manufacturers do the latter.

That said, I really agree with you in spirit, that the bulk of platform 13 seems to be bug fixes. Which I'm also grateful for, as I've had a bunch of cars with bugs, and the message from the manufacturer is, live with it. I'll spare you my horror stories with my C6 corvette and its infotainment system. It makes IRIS seem like it came straight from heaven.

That said, I also agree with you that I'm a bit of a Stockholm syndrome sufferer here. :) I've had such crap experiences in the past, that some company treating me just a bit better has me gaga. I cannot deny that. I'm hoping that McLaren and Tesla's approaches to frequent upgrades brings in a new era where consumers can expect better.

#22 ·
I guess I say the DRS is only arguably an upgrade because I don't really see the benefits. Sure I get a kick out of watching the more animated spoiler, but can anyone quantify the difference in performance? (And I know that me not seeing the benefits is absolutely irrelevant to whether or not it is an upgrade, which is why I'm sincere in asking if anyone can quantify the difference.)

As for the backup camera and such, giving me the ability to buy aftermarket accessories--even OEM accessories--just isn't an upgrade. To me it's no different than letting me retrofit carbon fiber pieces.

I'm attaching the Service Campaign Bulletin cover page my service advisor sent me. If there are "further refinements to the ride/suspension, shifting, throttle," then I would have to agree that those are upgrades. I just don't see that those items were included.

Attachments

#24 ·
I get your point on the camera, but I see it as welcome. I think fair minded folks can disagree here.

I did feel a difference in shifting, and 6th gear has more punch for me. And while I also agree with Likey in that those refinements may be subtle, still, they are refinements and always welcome. There have been tons of such refinements since 2011 (even if you ignore the 25hp bump), and I suspect if you had the car with the original programming, and platform 13 back to back, you'd feel a really sizable difference. So, just because the differences are subtle, one version over the other, it doesn't mean that it's not an upgrade.

As for DRS, I used it on some twisty roads and giving the car the beans. It works. I feel the rear has more pressure on it in the turns. For some reason, with it, when I give it the gas accelerating hard through a turn, it almost makes me feel like the car wants to pop a wheely. I'm half afraid the front will get too light. It doesn't of course.

But outside some decently hard driving, you won't feel it. But that cannot be a reason to discount it as not being a upgrade. I mean, if they increased acceleration going from 180-204mph from 20 seconds down to 10 seconds, you may never use that, but it's hard to deny the car has been substantially improved.

I'm not sure the bulletins have all the actual improvements in them. I know a few of the earlier bulitans didn't mention shifting improvements that did take place. But perhaps you're right and nothing more has been done; but I can swear 6th gear acceleration has improved a bunch for me. I used to always curse being in 6th when I want some pick up, and now it seems to go at a better clip for me.

#23 ·
I have to agree. I drove my car for the first time this evening after platform 13 and could hardly notice any difference. I was expecting to feel a difference following some comments here and cannot. I drove 20 miles, so not a huge amount. Maybe, just maybe the transmission is slightly different but if it is, it's only like adding a raspberry on top of a creme brûlée - welcome but hardly necessary.

And so what? The 12C is something of a masterpiece anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.