Mclaren stopping 12C production, BUT we can get some of the 650S upgrades... - McLaren Life

McLaren Life » McLaren Forum » McLaren MP4-12C ::

Mclaren stopping 12C production, BUT we can get some of the 650S upgrades...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
OWNER
Owner

Default Mclaren stopping 12C production, BUT we can get some of the 650S upgrades...

This morning I received this email from McLaren

Dear Robert

Last month we were proud to present the latest addition to our range: the McLaren 650S. Utilising advancements made during the development of the groundbreaking McLaren P1™, the 650S provides an unparalleled combination of performance and refinement.

True to the McLaren ethos, the benefits of such progress are not limited to our new models. As a McLaren owner, we want to be able to share these developments with you with the offer of a free Technology Upgrade available from June.

This package of upgrades will offer new Active Aero software which will allow your 12C’s existing Airbrake to ‘sense’ different driving scenarios, deploying to improve stability when lifting off the throttle or cresting a hill - this is in addition to the usual Airbrake position under heavy braking. The new system also includes a DRS (Drag Reduction System) mode which lowers the wing when driving at speed in a straight line, improving high-speed aerodynamics.

The Technology Upgrade also includes improvements to functionality and usability of the Android-based IRIS system. Later 12C models (with door buttons) will further benefit from an external control to lower the windows, to aid easier access in confined spaces.

In addition to this free upgrade, we are also offering a special price on two new features introduced with the 650S: the back up camera and SIRIUS radio. These cost options have been specially priced for 12C owners, to allow you to take advantage of the very latest technology (please note, depending on your model year, there may be hardware restrictions).

To find out more about both the Technology Upgrade and the new options, please contact your local retailer who can discuss your car in more detail.

Meanwhile, the final piece of news I wanted to share with you is regarding 12C production which we have decided to cease in light of the success of 650S. The new car has been so well received since its unveiling at the Geneva Motor Show (we already have a six month order bank) we will focus all our capacity at the McLaren Production Centre on 650S.

After three years of 12C production, this represents a natural evolution of our model line-up. I want to assure you that McLaren remains dedicated to customer satisfaction and that we care about the ownership experience of every car we’ve ever sold.

Once again, we thank you for your commitment to McLaren and being part of our committed pursuit for automotive excellence.

Best Regards

Mike Flewitt

Cheif Executive Officer
McLaren Automotive

If you no longer wish to receive information from McLaren Automotive then please click here: Unsubscribe
To view our terms and conditions please click here: Terms and Conditions
Registered Address; McLaren Automotive Limited, McLaren Technology Centre, Chertsey Road, Woking, Surrey, GU21 4YH, UK.
Company Number: 01967717

2015 McLaren 650S Spider
2014 Shelby GT500
2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited AEV JK350
2014 Ford Roush Raptor Stage 3 Special Edition
2014 Mercedes GL63 AMG
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2006 Ford GT
1987 Grand National GNX
1badassmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor
Old 04-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
isv
Owner

Any word on updates of the ABS/suspension firmness/brake steer calibration? Not that I want to sound like an ingrate but active aero is IMO by a long way down the list of stuff that would have been useful to have been updated albeit the most 'gimmicky' probably....
isv is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
Any word on updates of the ABS/suspension firmness/brake steer calibration? Not that I want to sound like an ingrate but active aero is IMO by a long way down the list of stuff that would have been useful to have been updated albeit the most 'gimmicky' probably....
That requires a major overhaul,including new springs front and rear and a re-postioning of the accumulators and new fixings to the sub frame.So if it were transferable I would think it would be several Grand !!!

Interesting that they claim to already have 700 orders,thats excellent .........that nearly as many as the Huracan last time I looked

current 997 turbo+bentley GT,Mclaren 12c
past
911e, 911t, 911 sc, 911 3.2,911 964 mod supercharged, db7, 996 turbo mod, 996 turbo more mod, V8vantage, 997 turbo mod

Last edited by andy c; 04-04-2014 at 11:56 AM.
andy c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy c View Post
That requires a major overhaul,including new springs front and rear and a re-postioning of the accumulators and new fixings to the sub frame.So if it were transferable I would think it would be several Grand !!!
But better ABS calibration would be software only, no ?

I would be willing to pay for the stiffer/better suspension, even if it costs a couple of grands..
McDc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
isv
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy c View Post

Interesting that they claim to already have 700 orders,thats excellent .........that nearly as many as the Huracan last time I looked
Well a good set of Ohlin/JRZ dampers cost ~2-3k GBP without fitting if I'm not wrong and they are really top quality units so if the 650S suspension package was offered for a reasonable price it is something a few of us I suspect would clearly consider. Would be rather more useful for me than say a rear camera..

700 orders is very good though, well done there.. let's hope they hold production at a reasonable target level and not try to accelerate it as they did for the 12C which had strongish early orders as well..
isv is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
InnerCircle
Owner

Name: Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDc View Post
But better ABS calibration would be software only, no ?

I would be willing to pay for the stiffer/better suspension, even if it costs a couple of grands..
It looks like they changed the whole suspension setup completely, so I doubt its just a "couple of grand" but considerably more, it would require taking off each axle completely and replacing it with all new hardware...

The ABS though I agree, should be doable in software only.

Hybrid: '14 McLaren P1 - '15 BMW i8
ICE: '13 McLaren 12C Spider - '13 Ferarri F12 - '14 Audi RS7 - '13 Maserati GranCabrio - '14 AM Vanquish - '14 AM Rapide S - '14 RR Vogue
Electric: '14 Tesla Model S
Track: McLaren 12C GT Sprint
ftyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
InnerCircle

Name: Andy

Yes, i woke up to the same email! If its 3k or under for the backup camera and satellite radio, i will be doing it for sure!
Vcruiser is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
Owner

Sounds good to me.

I'd also like to add that it's entirely possible that they give you some updates without telling you, like ABS calibration, for the sake of making the 650S seem like it has a lot more while also improving customer cars before hand.

I'll gladly take any free and discounted upgrades. I expect bugs/problems to be fixed, but I never expected improvements. McLaren has done something quite rare with the 12C in that they made it significantly better for free.
noone1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #9
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftyl View Post
It looks like they changed the whole suspension setup completely, so I doubt its just a "couple of grand" but considerably more, it would require taking off each axle completely and replacing it with all new hardware...

The ABS though I agree, should be doable in software only.
ABS possible hopefully,but I agree on the suspension,if the guys watch the tech video on Drive channel they are completely different structures that house the accumulator on top of the suspension .Its no doubt doable but not for 3 Grand ,but I will be asking

current 997 turbo+bentley GT,Mclaren 12c
past
911e, 911t, 911 sc, 911 3.2,911 964 mod supercharged, db7, 996 turbo mod, 996 turbo more mod, V8vantage, 997 turbo mod
andy c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
Owner

I am no rocket scientist but do we think Mike spelled Cheif correctly ?
MikeSCT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #11
Owner

Name: Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSCT View Post
I am no rocket scientist but do we think Mike spelled Cheif correctly ?
Good spot.. You're more Mclaren than mike himself!
Mikeyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #12
Owner

Whoops, going to repost here (just seeing this thread...)

Hooray! Hoping they that the camera and sat upgrades are priced reasonably. But this is a really nice gesture. The spirit of this really is nice and melts away my earlier annoyances at how they introduced the 650. It was always clearly an upgrade, and they were in a pickle with promises to keep the 12C upgraded, but it was disingenuous and insulting to 12C owners for them to try to claim it wasn't an upgrade. I prefer they just be honest and say they put themselves in a pickle with that promise. And that's what I'm interpreting this as, they're coming clean.

They are splitting the baby here in a nice way. Doing the right thing in giving upgrades where they can, while still doing what they need to, in upgrading the car in more significant ways (e.g., suspension hardware upgrades, engine/cylinder upgrades that really cannot easily be moved to the 12C).

I'll be an ingrate and hope they they include some ABS tweaks, some suspension differentiation tweaks (I get that they can't make it as good as the 650, but I bet they can still enhance this), some traction tweaks (again, they could put in some refinements that make the 12C a touch easier to drift via software as to when the nanny kicks in, probably not to the same extent as the 650, but improvements can be made), and a little HP tweak (maybe 5-10hp/lb of torque can be milked from the software?). While I'm at it I'll also ask for a pony, a mansion and a yacht.

Agree with others, that I expect/hope there will still be some maintenance tweaks for the 12C in the future, at least for IRIS and such, at least for a few more years.

Anyway, kudos to them! From my perspective, this really puts most of the grumbles on the handling of 12C owners vis-a-vis the 650/introduction to bed.

Last edited by ZombiePhysicist; 04-04-2014 at 01:11 PM.
ZombiePhysicist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #13
Owner

Ironically, I just had the backup camera system installed in my 12C with the monitor integrated into the rear view mirror but it was vibrating so bad that I couldn't see anything. I had this removed and was hoping that they'd find a way to integrate the new 650S setup into our 12C's...and this came out! Perfect! I'm definitely getting this when available! I got this very same email too but had overlooked it until now, LOL!
atomic80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #14
Owner

Name: Jim

I'm very pleased with this also. Does anyone know the final 12C production numbers, coupe and spider?

Cars/Bikes:
2015 Porsche Cayman GTS
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C (deposit)
2007 Ariel Atom 2 (GM Ecotec supercharged 300hp)
2012 McLaren MP4-12C
2011 BMW S1000RR
2010 BMW K1300GT
2006 Ducati 999R Xerox edition
2005 Ducati Monster

Gone: 2009 GTR , 2008 Elise SC, 2000 Boxster S, 1989 928S4
AdmiralMubutu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #15
Owner

Looks like there's about 3500 12C's built according to this post on autoblog:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/04/m...king-official/

Interestingly enough, they're saying that this upgrade will be free and mentions the android based IRIS. I think that's the newer IRIS 2 only. I wonder though if this upgrade will mean that they'll upgrade the original IRIS for free or only the newer version.
atomic80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
McLaren Life » McLaren Forum » McLaren MP4-12C » Mclaren stopping 12C production, BUT we can get some of the 650S upgrades...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.