2017 MotoGP Season - McLaren Life
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 04-25-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

2017 MotoGP Season

Not sure if anyone else is interested in MotoGP so thought I’d try this thread and see if it gets any traction. I know there are far more F1 fans here, as am I, but my true love is with the bikes and think that over the last couple of years MotoGP is providing a far more exciting spectacle than F1. Unless something goes really wrong such as the weather F1 is a safe bet that it will be only one of six cars that will win and probably, in reality in dry conditions, only one of four. Whereas there were nine different winners of the 18 MotoGP races in 2016 and although young Maverick Vinales won the first 2017 races in Qatar and Argentina he threw himself down the road at COTA this w/e leaving Marquez to continue his American domination and leave Rossi heading the World Championship standings at 38 years old!! Some great rookies – Johan Zarco – on a satellite factory bike is pushing the top guys very hard and surely will take rookie of the year title. All very exciting stuff with Lorenzo moving to Ducati and struggling right now to get it going but I think the season is set up for a lot of excitement.
Interestingly at COTA this w/e the riders all complained how bumpy the track had become (over 10 crashes in FP3) and they believe it’s due to the extreme downforce of the F1 cars. How these guys at 170 lbs in leathers hang on to a 250HP machine for 45 minutes hitting 338 kph / 211mph is way, way beyond me!!! I know the F1 guys have fighter pilot reflexes and are very fit as well but trading paint on these bikes at the speeds they do is something else again.
PS - I put this in the “Lounge” rather than the McLaren Racing forum where the F1 thread is – if Admins think it should be moved please do. Txs.
zim32 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 04-25-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Couple of pictures - just amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 36 Old 04-25-2017, 06:18 PM

Marquez owns that track

post #4 of 36 Old 04-25-2017, 06:34 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thackl View Post
Marquez owns that track
He sure does but, in my book, Marquez permanently tainted his career by his disgraceful interference in the 2015 title battle between Lorenzo and Rossi. No amount of talent can make that go away.
post #5 of 36 Old 04-25-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Britain View Post
He sure does but, in my book, Marquez permanently tainted his career by his disgraceful interference in the 2015 title battle between Lorenzo and Rossi. No amount of talent can make that go away.
I agree! For those not in the know, Marquez intentionally slowed down and made his bike very wide so that his fellow countryman Lorenzo could ride away and have a higher chance at getting the title. Rossi called Marquez out on track and Marquez crashed (this is controversial, but I didn't think Rossi was in the wrong). Rossi ended up getting a penalty for the next race which made his chance of the title zero:

Now, for this season, it was a great race at COTA. Rossi's pass on Pedrosa for 2nd was nice.

Last edited by Valentin; 04-25-2017 at 06:52 PM.
post #6 of 36 Old 04-25-2017, 07:59 PM
CPB

MotoGP fan here. Rossi continues to amaze!

Had first motorcycle track day of the season on Sunday. Great fun.
post #7 of 36 Old 04-25-2017, 08:22 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
I agree! For those not in the know, Marquez intentionally slowed down and made his bike very wide so that his fellow countryman Lorenzo could ride away and have a higher chance at getting the title. Rossi called Marquez out on track and Marquez crashed (this is controversial, but I didn't think Rossi was in the wrong). Rossi ended up getting a penalty for the next race which made his chance of the title zero:
My interpretation of Marquez's motives was a bit different. I did not see his having any particular affection for or loyalty to Lorenzo. Rather, Marquez badly wants to become the GOAT of motorbike racing. To do that, his career achievements must exceed those of Rossi.
In '15 Marquez had no chance of winning the title, but Rossi did. If Marquez could help Lorenzo to win the 2015 title over Rossi, that would be one fewer title in Rossi's career records.

It was a pity that Rossi let himself get drawn into Marquez's little games, although I do respect Rossi for, as you say, calling out Marquez in front of millions of viewers. Rossi is however a very clever rider, and it is improbable that he intentionally knocked down Marquez. If one looks at the incident from various angles and in slo-mo, I think it is clear that Marquez intentionally leaned into Rossi. All Rossi did was to open up his leg a bit to deflect Marquez's incoming bike, and then Marquez faked being "knocked over".
post #8 of 36 Old 04-25-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Britain View Post
Rossi is however a very clever rider, and it is improbable that he intentionally knocked down Marquez. If one looks at the incident from various angles and in slo-mo, I think it is clear that Marquez intentionally leaned into Rossi. All Rossi did was to open up his leg a bit to deflect Marquez's incoming bike, and then Marquez faked being "knocked over".

I am a self-confessed Rossi fan boy but I think the blame was squarely on him. I don't think he intended Marquez to crash but imho he kicked out. It made for a very sad end to the season to see the stars act like this.
Fast forward to mid 2016 and the only good thing that came from Luis Salom's death was that the riders took a good look at themselves and decided to drop all the crap - maybe still not BFF's but I think they realized how silly they were acting.
post #9 of 36 Old 04-25-2017, 09:07 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati1199 View Post
I am a self-confessed Rossi fan boy but I think the blame was squarely on him. I don't think he intended Marquez to crash but imho he kicked out. It made for a very sad end to the season to see the stars act like this.
Fast forward to mid 2016 and the only good thing that came from Luis Salom's death was that the riders took a good look at themselves and decided to drop all the crap - maybe still not BFF's but I think they realized how silly they were acting.
No question that Rossi moved his leg outwards. I think the question is whether he did it consciously in order to impair Marquez, or he did it instinctively in reaction to Marquez's leaning directly and quite unnecessarily into him. I read it as the latter, although, if it was the former, one could hardly blame Rossi. For the previous 2-3 laps, Marquez had been riding like a complete ass.
Slo-mo of Rossi reacting to Marquez, views from above and from the side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pab2EN08ISE
post #10 of 36 Old 04-25-2017, 10:43 PM
isv
Owner

There's also some history between rossi/marquez that led to that incident as well..... Marquez is a great rider but was imo totally in the wrong trying to help Lorenzo riding for another team win the championship. That said I think Rossi was stupid to have kicked out the way he did at Marquez.

Back to topic without raking up the past, motogp is just so much better as a viewing spectacle than F1 it's not funny and has been for years tbh, absolutely love watching the races. Not surprised that Lorenzo is struggling at Ducati as no one other than Stoner had managed to do anything with that bike, not even Rossi. Zarco (on a customer bike to boot!) and vinales have been very good as mentioned, hope they can break into the top order so it's not just Marquez vs Rossi by mid year.
post #11 of 36 Old 04-25-2017, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

MotoGP right now is exactly what Lewis Hamilton says he's craving - very close wheel to wheel racing. Other than tire choice there's no one winning races based on strategy or pit stops. Long may it remain.
post #12 of 36 Old 04-26-2017, 12:06 AM

LMP2 in WEC is the most exciting car racing for me right now. Driving talent is extremely high and you have essentially a spec class of 600hp prototypes. Everyone has a chance to win.

Blancpain GT series is also thrilling.

I think motogp will always be more exciting than any car racing because its more extreme.
post #13 of 36 Old 04-26-2017, 02:57 AM

Love MotoGP! Nothing like it in the world.
post #14 of 36 Old 04-26-2017, 04:41 PM

Another fan here as well. That said I think Marquez is a little bitch after all that and can't stand him any longer. Never like Lorenzo. Vinales is really exciting.

-no McLaren...yet
post #15 of 36 Old 04-26-2017, 04:58 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTM0TION View Post
Another fan here as well. That said I think Marquez is a little bitch after all that and can't stand him any longer. Never like Lorenzo. Vinales is really exciting.
This is one of the kinder images created during that time:
Attached Images

TTM0TION and Ducati1199 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.