Warning! Mancuso Lakeforest Sportscars No Longer Supporting McLaren - McLaren Life
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 53 Old 04-06-2017, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Warning! Mancuso Lakeforest Sportscars No Longer Supporting McLaren

I just got back from a horrid experience at Lakeforest Mancuso Chicago. Iíll try to explain everything the best I can, but I felt it necessary to let you know in case you have a deposit on a car with them or have your car in for service right now. Iíll give you the short version of the story first: Basically, Rick Mancuso, the owner, told me he is done with McLaren and doesnít want anything to do with the McLaren brand or McLaren customers anymore. As of Friday they will no longer be a McLaren dealer. Thereís obviously more to the story, which you can read below, but if you have a deposit with them or car with them, Iíd be worried, very worried. As of this coming Friday, they wonít be a McLaren dealership anymore.

Long version:
Before I go any further, I want to state that despite the valid issues I had with the service department, Paul, Owen, James, and the other techs were very respectful to me and really tried to rectify matters and my complaint was is not with them on a personal level or technical level. They are seriously nice people in the service department, I want that to be clear.

Hereís what happened: I called back in December to schedule me coming in this spring for service. I told the service advisor Paul that I wanted to replace the accumulators on my car because all the settings felt like track mode, I had jerky steering, and I got random PCC errors. I also wanted Soft Close latches installed and I offered to pay for all the parts in advance since this would be on my dime and I wanted to make sure they were ordered and ready. I called back in the Jan, Feb, and March to reaffirm the parts were in. and being held for me. Paul said I didnít have to pay for the parts even though I offered several times. The trip to Lakeforest is 5 hours each way, requires me to take a couple days off work, and I wanted to make sure Iíd be in and out on time. I called again a week before my arrival to once again to verify they had the parts in stock. I was told the accumulators were but the latches were not, but they would be there the day I brought the car in. I was concerned that the latches were suddenly not in stock even though I had been told several times they were, but I didnít make a big deal out of it, as long as they would be there when I arrived. I found out later that my latches were used on another customerís car and had to be reordered. I asked how long it would take to do everything and Paul told me it would all be done in a day. I decided to count on staying an extra day just in case. My wife and I stopped in town on Sunday, and we stayed the night and brought the car in bright and early the next day. I was then told by Owen the car would be finished the next morning Tuesday. I expected this and wasnít upset.
I decided to go look at a 570GT they had in stock. I fell in love with it and asked to test drive one. I then worked out the numbers and asked them to appraise my car. This was around noon when the tech working on my car was about to go to lunch so I asked Owen to hold off on the soft close for an hour or so until I got an offer back on my car. Within an hour the sales guy came back with an offer of $115k for my car which was an insult since my car has every option available at the time and has only 14k miles. I told Owen to have the tech continue with the car when he got back from lunch. Iím saying all this because I think youíll understand why I was low-balled so bad after reading this.

I got a call the next day, Tuesday morning, from Owen. He said they had the wrong accumulators, they were for a 650S, not a 12C. I was floored. I asked him why nobody noticed this, how the wrong part could have been ordered. I was in disbelief, I saw the parts laying next to my car, I could not believe that after 4 months of repeatedly verifying we were all set, they dropped the ball like this. Owen said McLaren sent them the wrong parts. I told him this couldnít be so, how could all four accumulators be the wrong part, the numbers on the boxes had to be different. Well, I found out later the parts guy Ben, admitted to ordering the wrong part. Fine. But I needed my car finished and now I had to stay an extra day. Well, Owen did his best to rectify the matter and ordered the parts from a California dealer that had them in stock. I was assured they would be in the next morning, on Wednesday. Wednesday afternoon I arrived at 1pm to hear that the parts were not in. I inquired with the parts guy and he blamed the Cali dealer for not shipping next business morning. Truth be told, they were never asked to ship next business morning because the parts guy never requested it. Now there was snow in the forecast that evening, and I was getting worried.

Backtracking a bit, while I was waiting for my car, I was talking with one of the sales guys about that 570GT. I really wanted the car, but I couldnít believe they didnít want to work with me on my trade. I decided I was going to get the car and just sell my 12C on my own. But I tried one last ditch effort and I asked him if he could sell my car under consignment, surely it would get at least $140k. I was then finally told the real reason they didnít give me a decent offer or even try to sell my car under consignment. They were dumping McLaren. The cars are all being sold off to a new owner and location in downtown Chicago. My jaw dropped. Why would they dump McLaren? The sales guys gave a bunch of responses that didnít make sense. But after running into the owner later, I think it all became clear.

Fast forward to mid-afternoon on Wednesday, I felt like the ball was dropped regarding my car. Wrong parts were ordered, parts were needlessly late, and I planned this trip for being two days long which was turning into four. To make matters worse, while my car was sitting, one of the other requested maintenance items that needed to be done had not been started, and I had to remind them to please take care of it while waiting for the parts. If I had not brought it up, Iím fairly certain this would have been skipped. I then approached Nick Mancuso. I started the conversation by first telling him his service staff was respectful and polite to me, but I had issues with them dropping the ball more than once. I explained to him calmly of the situation. I said that despite the service department trying their best to rectify the situation, some level of incompetence was creeping up. I was completely calm about the whole thing, but thatís when Rick Mancuso, the father, stepped in and blew up. He started pounding his fist on the table, raised his voice at me and said I will not talk about his staff in that manner. I asked him ďwhat manner, I havenít once raised my voice and I was having a conversation with Nick.Ē He went off and nearly blew a blood vessel. He yelled and screamed to get the ďF***Ē out of his dealership and get my car out of the service department. I could not believe the way he was acting. Despite all this I stayed completely calm. I told him to calm down, that this was being blown out of proportion. He continued to go off on me. I didnít even know who he was at this point, I never met him. I turned to Nick and asked ďWho is this guy?Ē He then said heís his father, the owner. I then turned to Rick and asked ďHow can you treat a customer like this?Ē He said ďI donít need you, I donít need McLaren.Ē The guy needs serious anger management. My wife thought he was going to kill me. She got her phone out and was about to call 911. He just kept pointing at me and pounding his first on the desk and screaming nonsense. I needed to get out of there, I felt threatened for my life. He finally stormed off. Everything became clear at this point. He probably lost the McLaren franchise due to this type of behavior. I asked one of the sales guys on the way out if heís done this before to other customers. He said yeah, many times. He said he has literally handed the customer his keys and told them to take a hike. I could not believe what happened. The service department was called over from the other side of the building and then Nick told them to expedite things and get my car out of there. The thing is, they all admitted to dropping the ball, they were never argumentative. But what Rick did was not only unprofessional, it was downright scary. My wife and I took off for a while to digest what just happened.

My wife was shaken by the whole thing and is terrified of Rick Mancuso. He not only scared her, he scared me. We both agreed he has a screw loose, he needs professional help, something is wrong with him to do what he did. I asked her if it sounded like I ever raised my voice of did anything to provoke him. She said I couldn't have been any calmer or more polite. We both can't figure out why he would have acted in this manner. I've never felt more threatened by anyone before in my life, it took me by surprise. I wonder how he has stayed in business this long treating customers this way. Apparently this wasn't his first time according to some of his staff.

Once my car was finished that evening, I went back in and asked for Nick, the son, who seemed level-headed. He came over and I hit record on my phone. Rick was walking over as I was talking, I was mortified to see him. But I decided to stand my ground and I then turned to him and said my beef was never with his staff, but he now made it with himself. I told him that my wife said he treated me like I was a child. I told him that was not professional and what happened there not only cost him a sale of a 570GT, but that I would have to contact Ferrari North America on the matter (I was also interested in getting an F-Car from them). He said he didnít care about McLaren he was done with them. I asked him how he could be a Ferrari dealer since 1982 and treat customers like this. He said he was the owner and could do anything he wanted. I reminded him that I just spent $10k in his service department, he told me to get out and never come back and started saying ďBye-byeĒ sarcastically. I have this second encounter recorded, Iím debating on posting it up here, but Iíll have to contact my lawyer first, and I donít know what good it will accomplish at this point.

I pondered over how I would post this. I am still shaken by the whole experience, but I feel I needed to warn you all of the situation. There were quite a few Macís in the service department and you should also know that as of Friday the lead McLaren tech wonít even be there. I donít know how they are going to work on them with the lead tech being gone. It also doesnít make sense why they are still taking 720S orders when theyíve dumped (or lost) the franchise. Please beware, I just donít want fellow owners or potential owners to get caught up in the mess over there. The owner Rick has made it very clear he doesnít care about us McLaren customers. He may have gone off on me because Iím worthless to him as a customer, but some of you have deposits and cars there. Please, I donít want anyone to get screwed. Do what you feel you must, I'm not giving advise, but if I were you Iíd think twice about keeping your deposits cars there. If things get hairy during the transition, you may be dealing with a guy who seems to be unstable. The whole thing is a mess.

2012 MP4-12C Alpha 7 - Fire Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 04-06-2017, 07:57 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

A rather shocking experience. Interesting that they said they were dumping McLaren. Perhaps they got backwards who was the dumper and who was the dumpee? ;-)

From their website:

Here at Lake Forest Sportscars you will find one of the largest indoor displays of high performance automotive fashion anywhere in the country. Our highly trained sales staff are here to make sure that your purchase experience is simple, satisfying and most of all fun! In addition, we have backed our sales staff with an award winning service and parts department whose sole goal is to make your after-sales experience flawless. We have been a Factory Authorized Dealer since 1981, so we've been doing this a while, and we know what's important to our clients. Please enjoy our website and whenever you're in our neighborhood, stop by and have a look around. We look forward to showing you all that our sports car campus has to offer!

The success of Lake Forest Sportscars lays not only in the quality of its facility or the DNA of its vehicles, but with the people who stand behind it - The Mancuso family.
-----------------------------

Then again, one suspects that anyone who boasts of selling "high performance automotive fashion" might have a screw loose.
post #3 of 53 Old 04-06-2017, 08:22 AM
Owner

You have to wonder how this dealer passed McLaren due diligence.

Perhaps the fact they were a long established Ferrari dealer was a factor?

In any case sounds like it's for the best their franchise is ending.

post #4 of 53 Old 04-06-2017, 08:41 AM
McLaren Fanatic

Incredible story and beyond unfortunate that you had to deal with all of this, or that anyone would act that way towards you. Unbelievable!

I did want to mention that I believe the future of McLaren Chicago under new management in the downtown location should far exceed anything that you have experienced with LFSC. My understanding is that franchise has been acquired by individuals who are very devoted to the brand and who certainly have prior experience handling McLaren customers. I will refrain from being more specific than that at this point, but I expect they will do all that they can to make this a smooth transition for the existing and future customers.

>8^)
ER

Andy Wallace on the McLaren F1 after setting the 240.1 MPH speed record at Ehra Lessien on March 31st 1998:

"I still say this is the best car ever built, ever, and probably will never be beaten."

Last edited by Peloton25; 04-06-2017 at 09:05 AM.
post #5 of 53 Old 04-06-2017, 12:41 PM
nh4

Garage
That's terrifying. I can't imagine that happening at any place of business, let alone one where you pay hundreds-of-thousands-of-dollars for the things they sell. Don't give up on McLaren just yet though. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when your new Chicago dealership is official... I hate posting in vague nonsense like this, but I'm not sure what's public and what's not, so for now, I'm erring on the side of caution.

-Jamie.
Peloton25 and andy c like this.

ďI had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.Ē ― Jack Kerouac
post #6 of 53 Old 04-06-2017, 12:52 PM

Garage
Damn excel, that doesn't sound like a good time. I'm just impressed you kept your cool! No idea how i would have handled that.
post #7 of 53 Old 04-06-2017, 12:59 PM

I always thought the downtown location was Mancuso already. It was called Mancuso Motorsports.

Can anyone confirm what's going on and who the new franchise owners are? Their lead McLaren tech quit? Is going to the new dealer? Can someone spill the beans? I need to have work done on my car soon and Chicago is my dealer.

Please PM me if you feel in the info is still kind of private. I won't share it. Thanks!

Last edited by noone2; 04-06-2017 at 01:07 PM.
post #8 of 53 Old 04-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Owner

Brutal. Sorry you and your wife had to go through that.
post #9 of 53 Old 04-06-2017, 01:26 PM

Thats terrible. I'm hoping McLaren corporate steps up to the plate and gives you a nice discount on a new 570GT.
post #10 of 53 Old 04-06-2017, 03:47 PM
McLaren Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post
I always thought the downtown location was Mancuso already. It was called Mancuso Motorsports.
Mancuso do have that location downtown at Clark & Huron but as I understand things this will not be the location of the new McLaren Chicago dealership and there will be no affiliation remaining between the future 'McLaren Chicago' and the Mancuso organization.

>8^)
ER

Andy Wallace on the McLaren F1 after setting the 240.1 MPH speed record at Ehra Lessien on March 31st 1998:

"I still say this is the best car ever built, ever, and probably will never be beaten."
post #11 of 53 Old 04-06-2017, 03:58 PM
addicted to speed

Garage
that sucks. they had a nice property setup, and some very special cars come through there. I liked going to there little concours event, but too bad to hear about the owner of the establishment.

edit: haha, i forgot my avatar is a shot of a P1 at LFSC.
post #12 of 53 Old 04-06-2017, 04:06 PM
McLaren Fanatic

I can add that the deal closes tomorrow and we should see a formal announcement from McLaren North America shortly thereafter.

Again, for those who are customers in the Chicago region, I think people will have reasons to be pleased.

>8^)
ER

post #13 of 53 Old 04-06-2017, 04:12 PM
nh4

Garage
After a bit more digging, as I knew I had seen the info in a public place not that long ago, I found the article... Chicago, your new McLaren contact is Oprah! Just kidding, it's Mr. CJ Wilson:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/...nd-racing.html

"For Wilson, the initial leap into the car business was a long-term investment. Wilson Automotive Group Opens a New Window. has grown to include Porsche, Audi and BMW dealerships in Fresno, California; a McLaren dealership in Scottsdale, Arizona; and a total of four Mazda stores. The company also has a McLaren store coming soon in Chicago."

-Jamie.

ďI had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.Ē ― Jack Kerouac
post #14 of 53 Old 04-06-2017, 04:20 PM
McLaren Fanatic

Great find Jamie - I didn't want to spill any beans that hadn't already been made 'public knowledge'.

And on top of that news, that's only half the reason to be excited about the future.

As for the staffing tangent, it's not clear who might transition from LFSC if anyone, but I was told that staff from McLaren Scottsdale are prepared to support the new venture to get it off the ground. I don't think you have to look too far to find people who are quite pleased with their treatment from the team working out there.

>8^)
ER
John Galt and 1mean3 like this.

post #15 of 53 Old 04-06-2017, 04:30 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post

And on top of that news, that's only half the reason to be excited about the future.

>8^)
ER
You know TOO much about F1s and their owners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.