McLaren Life banner

12c or 650s?

4K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  1newbie 
#1 ·
Have never owned a McLaren, but have been researching them for a while (I read a lot on this site) and will be purchasing one soon. With prices falling like a rock; is there any reason to get a 650s over 12c? The cars seem very similar and I even prefer the 12c looks. Also torn because I enjoy driving convertibles, although I prefer the lines of the coupe. Any 'must have' options? Anyone regret getting one with ceramic brakes? Thanks in advance for your thoughts, feedback, .02, etc.

#2 ·
Get the spider. Coupe looks better, but the spider offers a much better driving experience whether the top is up or down. Rolling down the rear window is my absolute favorite feature of the spider and it allows you to really hear the engine and exhaust (you really just have to experience it!). I also like the ventilation of having the side windows and rear window down. On a nice day, having the top down is a nice feature.

I've never owned a convertible before nor ever planned on owning one, but the McLaren spider really changed my opinion.

I don't think there are any "must have" options. The car is fantastic bone stock, and most options are just bling. I would add an Akrapovic exhaust though!

If you've never owned a McLaren, just get the 12C. It's such a step up from any non-McLaren car.

#4 ·
The only performance option are the rims. The super lights have less unsprung weight. All the carbon options are basically aesthetic. I have become a fan of the rear diffuser being in carbon because the base diffuse plastic is more like papier-mâché and if you get a 'love tap' like someone parking too close, it may crack where the carbon diffuser will probably just get a scuff.

The electric seats offer memory and heat. For me the memory was key. It took me about a month to get my 'perfect' seating position, and the memory was key. The standard seats sit a bit lower (which I really like and if you're really tall may be a factor). The exhaust option offers no performance enhancement, the sports exhaust just makes more VROOM noise. If you like the noise, you might want it. I have it, not a fan.

On the newer cars, you might want to get the nose lift. The 12C is better than the 650 with regard to clearance over bumps, because the 650 has more of a splitter (which makes for more downforce). So on a 12C you can probably learn to get around most obstacles, and it might be a bit more useful if you get the 650.

I like the upgraded audio system, but it's a noisy car, so not sure it's a must have. Ceramics and steel brakes have the same braking power/distance, however, the ceramics will avoid fade if you race the car for more than 30 minute track sessions (which is a bit unrealistic as most track sessions are in 30 min blocks or less). The ceramics look a bit nicer, and avoid brake dust, and likely will last a lot longer if you do not track the car. They will cost a boat load more to replace once they go. So depends on your usage patterns.

Hope that helps and let us know what you end up getting.

#8 ·
The only performance option are the rims. The super lights have less unsprung weight. All the carbon options are basically aesthetic. I have become a fan of the rear diffuser being in carbon because the base diffuse plastic is more like papier-mâché and if you get a 'love tap' like someone parking too close, it may crack where the carbon diffuser will probably just get a scuff.
Actually I'd say the cf diffusor will save a bit of weight as it's a big chunk of plastic. It's possibly the only worthwhile weight saving cf part one can get. I'd agree on the lighter wheels. It's somewhat embarassing that the standard wheel option for a car like that is a cast wheel and the supposedly superlight wheel is already heavy enough.

#5 ·
It is always best to drive both so you can feel the difference. I feel there was a big change in the 650's performance but I liked the look of my 12C more so never upgraded. I agree, if you have never had a McLaren, the 12C is a big step up to most non-exotic (and some exotic) cars. I got the iron brakes (I purchased mine new) as I heard they have an overall better feel if you are not going to track the car a lot and have really enjoyed my decision. Make sure in any used car it has all the updated IRIS/Parrot system and computer updates as some owners never upgraded that. Also there was a later option for a backup camera that some cars may have. I have purchased later model McLarens but still own and love my unique 12C as it is so easy to drive (and you do not get as many stares as I used to....best of luck in your hunt

#13 ·
CCB on a 12C were a must-have for me. Took a while but I found a perfect car with them. Happy I did!

On topic, having driven both nearly back to back, the 12C has a more comfortable Normal driving mode. It's better at isolating road variations than the 650s. You trade that for a bit more carbon tub noise in the 12C as the sound isolation is better in the newer car.

For performance, you'll never notice the difference unless you drive them back to back or alongside one another. There is just not that much in it (~5% HP and ~10% ft-lb max on a car that is 600+ HP and 440+ ft-lb. pushing ~3,000 lb).

#10 ·
When I bought my 650S, i was actually looking for a 12C not thinking i could afford a 650. I drive both back to back and the 650 just felt like a more complete daily driver. The better throttle response in low rpms from the torque bump just gave a much better driving experience. jmo

#12 · (Edited)
12c is not as fast, it has less power and different mapping. If you go aftermarket then you can get an advantage.
You should drive both and see if the 650s is worth the premium.

I think the difference between the 2, will be close to 50-60K. Obvious the 650s is newer and a lot of quirks have been "fixed" in theory, both you can buy extended warranty.

I figure, I'm not a track person, so for driving for fun on the street, either car has more power/handling then someone needs. So for aggressive driving and fun mountain roads, the 12c was the best bang for the buck. I think it has given me confidence in the McLaren brand to look for future cars.

#16 ·
LOL - where did you read that? Maybe if you were doing 24hrs of LeMans. If you track the car a lot I would still want CCB's and just swap to steel rotors that way you dont worry about the cost of replacement rotors from heavy track usage but still have the larger calipers and benefit of carbon on the street. Sounds stupid but its sooo nice having zero dust with the CCBs for street use. Also if you use mainly for the street you likely will never have to replace your brakes in effect costing you less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.