McLaren Life banner

Problems With Latest Pirelli Noise Cancellation Tires

17K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jessica 
#1 ·
Last spring Pirrelli launched the latest evolution of their P Zero and P Zero Corsa tires. Apart from new and improved rubber see: http://blog.caranddriver.com/rubber...-p-zeros-30th-anniversary-debuts-new-version/ the tires now come with PNCS or Pirelli Noise Cancellation System see: http://www.pzero.com/en-us/technology#pnsc-section.

My car came equipped with the new PNCS model and recently I was complaining to my service director at McLaren that I was experiencing some wheel shake at high speed that felt like a wheel balancing issue. We discovered that the foam used to carry out the noise cancellation (spread as foam blocks inside the tire) is coming loose and bunching up effectively causing a wheel balancing issue. The shearing tends to happen after track sessions or on very hot days when the tire temps are high. I witnessed another tire yesterday while at McLaren where you can clearly see bunched up foam in one part of the inner tire.

As an aside I've tried 2 570s one with PNCS and one without, and I couldn't really hear the difference, but I'll bring a decibel meter next time.

Is anyone else running these latest Pirellis with PNCS experiencing the same issue?

See less See more
#2 ·
I just put new P-Zeros on my 12C about 6 weeks ago. Got a wheel shake at 92 - 105 mph. Took back to the tire dealer and they re-balanced my tires. So far, everything ok @ 95+ mph, but have not had the chance yet to go really higher speeds. So how do I know if my tires came with 'noise cancellation'? When they put the tires on, I never saw any foam blocks within.

#4 ·
ok, I checked and no 'PNCS' on my sidewalls.

When re-balanced, the tire tech. said new tires sometimes throw off the initial balancing, getting 'seated' or something. Two tires were definitely off-balance. So I guess my problem was not related to the 'noise cancel' foam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.