McLaren Life banner

New McLaren configurator coming at some point perhaps. VR maybe?

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  MarkNC 
#1 · (Edited)
Figured I'd post this because it's probably not something most people on here would have seen.

I was watching the stream of the Unreal Engine event at GDC the other day and was surprised to see that McLaren had a short video and presentation. They are apparently using Unreal Engine in-house for design stuff, but also for a new configurator experience.

Unreal Engine, for those that don't know, is an engine used mainly for game development, but is being used more and more in other industries that use CG for interactive experiences. Quite powerful and they had some pretty cool demos this year.

It's technical, but if you skip through to 5 minutes (assuming you're not interested in that part,) you'll see what they're working on. It's quite nice and would definitely be better than the standard configurators that are typically just set views.

Make sure you watch until the 10 minute part. It's especially cool.

Anyway, here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oZfvoG6qYQ

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for posting.

Fascinating insight into a world that I know little about.

Big advance for the dealers and customer......kinda stops the need to visit MPC, doh and doh again.

#7 · (Edited)
I suspect there's a big McLaren fan or two over at Unreal;)

Yeah that's me. I'm the co-founder of the company's and we're pushing forward our efforts in enterprise use of the engine. On the same panel with Mark Roberts we also had Lucasfilm/Disney Imagineering and NASA showing off how they use our technology. We had a cool Star Wars VR experience in our booth as well.

BTW, this is just a tiny little taste of what's in store!

#6 ·
Great post. I love how McLaren is on the cutting edge of many things. This configurator is beyond amazing. One wonders what we will see in another 10 years.

Did any one else think the doors were a touch too much "open" I don't think they are as vertical as that. Just a niggle. I'm sure my betters at McLaren would have noticed.

That end part is amazing. Notice the suspension rebound after the body panels are thrown back on. Cool stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Oh wow, cool. I had no idea you were the co-founder Mark. LAN Party and Mark's house ;) I too remember the long hours playing the Facing World's map in UT as a kid.

Though I'm not into game development, I like to watch to see the tech demos and such.

Is it safe to say you've played with all the latest and great VR? I'm itching to try them since I'm pretty skeptical still of the experience, though Vive looks pretty near being that you'll be able to walk around.

#12 ·
Oh wow, cool. I had no idea you were the co-founder Mark. LAN Party and Mark's house ;) I too remember the long hours playing the Facing World's map in UT as a kid.
You can download the latest Unreal Tournament and play it totally free at www.unrealtournament.com and there's a new (albeit not totally polished yet) Facing Worlds map that's just as fun to play as you remember. The game is still in the early alpha stage and we're co-developing it with the UT community which is amazing fun!

Is it safe to say you've played with all the latest and great VR? I'm itching to try them since I'm pretty skeptical still of the experience, though Vive looks pretty near being that you'll be able to walk around.
Yes our game engine, Unreal Engine 4, is the main engine powering VR these days. We're working with almost everyone in the VR and AR space and, because the engine can be downloaded for free with full C++ source code, I'm sure there are several more companies in the space working with our engine already that we don't even know about.

Even in the automotive sector we're working with all kinds of companies. McLaren is clearly where my heart and soul is but we have case studies up on our web site showing how Toyota and Ford are using. Tesla, and many other major car companies, are also using Unreal Engine. It's a fun time for us and especially for me as a car & technology lover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.