P14 unveiling in NYC who's going? - Page 6 - McLaren Life
 158Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #76 of 195 Old 02-16-2017, 01:25 PM

So does it have a GT style rear storage area or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 195 Old 02-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Owner

A lot of cryptic reviews so I guess I'll wait until early March to form my own opinion. The decision for me is whether to take a 720S or wait for a 991 GT2 RS and/or F12M. Each of those cars will deliver other worldly performance so it boils down to subjective factors.
post #78 of 195 Old 02-16-2017, 02:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
A lot of cryptic reviews so I guess I'll wait until early March to form my own opinion. The decision for me is whether to take a 720S or wait for a 991 GT2 RS and/or F12M. Each of those cars will deliver other worldly performance so it boils down to subjective factors.
New Ferrari 812 (F12M) just announced here this morning: http://bit.ly/2lWjYuU

2016 Porsche 911 GT3 RS UltraViolet
2015 Ferrari 458 Spider Rosso Corsa
2013 BMW M5 Alpine White Individual
2012 BMW X5M Melbourne Red
a few others....

post #79 of 195 Old 02-16-2017, 04:23 PM
EJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotic_Driver View Post
New Ferrari 812 (F12M) just announced here this morning: http://bit.ly/2lWjYuU
Let's just say The P14 makes this 812 look underwhelming
John Galt and Hoodini like this.
post #80 of 195 Old 02-16-2017, 09:06 PM
nh4

Garage
I'm still trying to pull all my thoughts together on the 720s. I'll start with the leaks... They were great as it set my expectations fairly low. I was still confident I would like the car, because, well, let's call a spade a spade, I'm a bit of a fanboy and a card carrying member of the "In Frank We Trust" Club. That said, those leaks do this car no justice. It has its own presence, its own sense of latent aggression. The NY one was white with a bunch of CF and the way it sat in the light I believed, and could see all the references to sculptural design with plenty-a-nod to bio-mimicry.

The 720s also does help define more of a face for McLaren cars, at least this current iteration of McLaren. As much as I love my 570, if it were parked next to a 720 there would be no question that they are related, but there would also be no question who the bigger brother was. There is just a little bit more of everything in the 720.

The true test for me was if, and / or how much, would the 720 make me re-think the desire for my next McLaren to be the Sports Series LT? In all honesty, I'm still trying to quantify that impact, but it was much greater than I expected it to be. The 720s is a stunning car and I can't wait to see more of the feedback as others get to see it.

For the folks that met up before and after, it was great meeting all of you and I can't wait to do it all again! I'll do better about staying in town longer next time!

-Jamie.
Peloton25, DLC, bdl99 and 2 others like this.

“I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac
post #81 of 195 Old 02-16-2017, 09:21 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post
So does it have a GT style rear storage area or not?
Sort of

I'm sticking with the program and won't be divulging any details either, but man what a fantastic car. Can't wait to see how they manage to make this into a spider. One of the coolest things was the VR setup and configurator. If I'm not mistaken, MarkNC's shop was behind this? If so, bravo! Sticking my head into the engine was pretty mind warping. All those drinks beforehand probably weren't the best idea though...

Anyway I'm sold. Really well done event with great access to the people behind the curtain. I'm wondering how many guys badgered the CEO about spotty headlights and IRIS woes??
nh4 likes this.
post #82 of 195 Old 02-16-2017, 09:23 PM
InnerCircle

Jamie - I've known you're a great guy since I met you. I guess you met some others yesterday who now rknow the same.

I think you are mad the way you obsessed over your specs - but you ended up with a really great spec. So I guess it was worth it.

Have you started working on your 720S spec yet?
nh4 likes this.

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

PS - nothing I say should be taken seriously but I am lucky enough to live in Woking and do get to see a lot of McLarens
post #83 of 195 Old 02-16-2017, 09:24 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJF View Post
Let's just say The P14 makes this 812 look underwhelming
Agreed.
post #84 of 195 Old 02-16-2017, 09:39 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Well colour me impressed. I'm going to stick with the program and not divulge anything, honoring the request that was made to anyone attending. However, I just have to echo what others have said, that any spy shots just don't do it justice. Can't wait to hear from people when they get to drive one.
post #85 of 195 Old 02-16-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZOOM! View Post
What makes those cars "Bad Ass" for you? C'mon, your descriptivation is sadly lacking here.

Zombie no problem with intimate NDA details it's all good. It was a member in Britain that viewed the car earlier that used a thinking mans car so I had to say something since you are still contemplating things. Personally I think its better for a real viewing instead of all these leaks and such.

Zoomm if you don't know what makes those cars bad ass and legends I really can't explain it to you. It's like some that use to think the F1 was a kit car///you get it or you don't.

Cheers
post #86 of 195 Old 02-16-2017, 09:53 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormBringer View Post
Zombie no problem with intimate NDA details it's all good.

Cheers
It's funny storm. They didn't make us sign or do any NDAs. They just asked really nicely. What's funny is, that's all they had to do, at least for me. So no one us under any kind of legal obligation, but for me, just by asking nicely, they got the same effect, perhaps better. If it were a real NDA, I'd be so annoyed I'd likely be looking for loopholes.

Anyway, no one here should really sweat it, the wait won't be too long now...
dennis likes this.
post #87 of 195 Old 02-16-2017, 10:06 PM
InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiePhysicist View Post
It's funny storm. They didn't make us sign or do any NDAs. They just asked really nicely. What's funny is, that's all they had to do, at least for me. So no one us under any kind of legal obligation, but for me, just by asking nicely, they got the same effect, perhaps better. If it were a real NDA, I'd be so annoyed I'd likely be looking for loopholes.

I always assumed they did. I've never been asked to sign an NDA or even told not to take pics. Or even asked really nicely. I just know how lucky I am and am not stupid enough to risk that.

Unlike the guy who posted the pics on instagram-I doubt if he will be allowed access anywhere in future.

I've not seen the 720S yet, I'll see the pics from Geneva first I guess.

From what you've said someone could spill the beans on here but I hope no one is that stupid!

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

PS - nothing I say should be taken seriously but I am lucky enough to live in Woking and do get to see a lot of McLarens
post #88 of 195 Old 02-16-2017, 10:35 PM
DLC
InnerCircle
Owner

The NYC viewing of P14 was just an awesome event. The event was hosted by McLaren's North American Headquarters and individuals from both NYC and Corporate provided a comprehensive picture of Automotives short but successful history, mission and of course the P14 program.

As ZP stated, McLaren requested our silence until the P14 reveal in Geneva this March so my only comment about the car is that it is fantastic and a progression of excellence that we have come to expect from McLaren.

I also want to thank NH4 for setting up our meet and greet before and after the event to meet our extended family of McLaren loyalist. It was fun, refreshing and informative. It was truly my pleasure to meet you all. The cordial tone and enthusiasm of our initial gathering just continued once we entered the scheduled event. Just a very warm gathering getting reacquainted with our corporate friends, dealer liaisons, meeting new team members and enthusiast. I want to thank McLaren for bringing us all together.

DLC
nh4 likes this.

Last edited by DLC; 02-17-2017 at 01:08 AM.
post #89 of 195 Old 02-16-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiePhysicist View Post

Sounds like great marketing ploy/tool.. more chatter chatter, more hype and interest builds with everyone having to say "well, i can't really say too muchhhhh"..... lol
post #90 of 195 Old 02-16-2017, 11:00 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
Sounds like great marketing ploy/tool.. more chatter chatter, more hype and interest builds with everyone having to say "well, i can't really say too muchhhhh"..... lol
Sure, I suspect they were going for word of mouth bleed. It couldn't be a more obvious marketing event than bringing former customers in, trying to make them feel special to butter them up for buying. But so what, they went about it nicely. The alternative methods are a lot less pleasant imo. I criticize their craptastic marketing pretty regularly, so I'm happy to laud them when they do good.

Imo, they done good here. As always, ymmv
iLLGT2 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.