SUPER SERIES, THE NEW CORE OF THE McLAREN BRAND
 New McLaren supercar will debut on March 7 at the 87th Geneva International
Motor Show
 Second generation of the Super Series is McLaren Automotive’s first-ever
replacement of a product family and the first of the 15 new cars defined in the
company’s Track22 Business Plan
 New carbon fibre Monocage II body structure delivers extreme strength and
contributes to the car’s light weight
A new era will begin for McLaren Automotive this March with the launch of the second
generation of its Super Series at the 87th Geneva International Motor Show. The first of
the 15 new cars cited in the company’s Track22 Business Plan, the second-generation
Super Series is also the first replacement of a product family by the British manufacturer
of luxury sports and supercars.
“Super Series is the core of the McLaren business and personifies the blend of extreme
performance, crafted luxury and unparalleled driver involvement that is the McLaren
heartland,” explained McLaren Automotive CEO, Mike Flewitt. “This is the first time we
have replaced a product family and the new Super Series will be absolutely true to
McLaren’s pioneering spirit in being a revolutionary leap forwards, both for our brand
and the supercar segment.”
The new Super Series is created around an ultra-lightweight, carbon fibre central
structure. Immensely rigid, yet weighing less than the carbon fibre and metal cockpit
architecture of the first-generation Super Series, the Monocage II contributes to a
lightest dry weight of just 1,283kg for the new car – lower than the closest competitor
and 18kg lighter than a McLaren 650S with comparable specification.
The development of Monocage II has allowed McLaren to incorporate a wider cabin
entrance and lower sill to improve access into a driver environment that will offer
excellent all-round visibility. The new chassis structure also enables a lower centre of
gravity, further sharpening the dynamic performance of the new Super Series. Owners
wishing to showcase the carbon-fibre construction chassis can specify a ‘Visible
Monocage’ option that exposes the material on the inside area of the A-pillar.

The Super Series lineage began in 2011 with the launch of the groundbreaking 12C.
The 12C Spider followed in 2012 and in 2014 McLaren introduced the 650S Coupé and
650S Spider. The first generation of the McLaren Super Series was further expanded in
2015 with the launch of the limited edition 675LT Coupé and 675LT Spider.
Full details of the new, second-generation Super Series will be confirmed in March,
when further images and pric
Terrry likes this.

roundincircles

Started with Scalextric

Various 911's from 1991

Smart 4/2 , 16 Honda Africa Twin.

12C Coupe , Spider and 650S Spider Now History but not forgotten. 720S on order since 2013.

Last edited by roundincircles; 01-04-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 01-04-2017, 12:22 PM

post #3 of 42 Old 01-04-2017, 02:01 PM

So is it safe to say it has the 570 GT interior storage space behind the seats?

post #4 of 42 Old 01-04-2017, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post
So is it safe to say it has the 570 GT interior storage space behind the seats?
There appears to be a shelf a la 12C/650S but not sure about the platform a la GT. Should know on Feb 2 nd reveal.

roundincircles

Started with Scalextric

Various 911's from 1991

Smart 4/2 , 16 Honda Africa Twin.

12C Coupe , Spider and 650S Spider Now History but not forgotten. 720S on order since 2013.
post #5 of 42 Old 01-04-2017, 02:54 PM
Owner
Owner

To me looks like there's more space than GT.
post #6 of 42 Old 01-04-2017, 03:11 PM

McLaren’s New Super-Series Model Confirmed For Geneva, Second-Gen Monocage II Carbon Tub Detailed

Quote:
McLaren officially confirmed that the 650S successor will be revealed in Geneva, showing us for the first time the second-generation carbon fiber Monocage II tub.

Codenamed P14, the model that will replace the 650S in McLaren’s lineup will reportedly carry the 720S nameplate and according to the company, will tip the scales at just 1,283kg, which is 18kg less than a 650S with “comparable specification”.

McLaren says that their new Super Series models will be the lightest in its class, thanks to the new Monocage II carbon tub. The new chassis structure also allowed for an even lower centre of gravity for better handling, a wider cabin entrance and lower sills to improve access.

The company also revealed that they will offer a ‘Visible Monocage’ option to customers who wish to showcase the carbon chassis, exposing the material on the inside area of the A-pillar.

“Super Series is the core of the McLaren business and personifies the blend of extreme performance, crafted luxury and unparalleled driver involvement that is the McLaren heartland,” said McLaren’s CEO, Mike Flewitt. “This is the first time we have replaced a product family and the new Super Series will be absolutely true to McLaren’s pioneering spirit in being a revolutionary leap forwards, both for our brand and the supercar segment.”

So far we heard that the new, reportedly named 720S will be powered by an updated twin-turbo 4.0-litre V8 that makes 710hp (720PS), with the new supercar to feature a hardcore ‘Track’ mode which is similar to that of the P1.

The same reports say that sections of the dashboard will physically lower when ‘Track’ mode is enabled in order to help the driver focus on his driving, with the only visible information to be the tachometer, current gear, oil and cooling temperature and tire pressure.

And since this is McLaren we’re talking about, the new car is also said that it will be as fast as the P1 on track, as the company is eager to showcase their progress with the new generation.

The new McLaren will make its debut on March 7 at the Geneva Motor Show, so expect the first official images to show up in early March.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/mcl...ies-model.html
post #7 of 42 Old 01-04-2017, 03:13 PM
2016 650S Spider

I'm curious as to how this design (especially the doors) will be modified for a spider version ???
post #8 of 42 Old 01-04-2017, 03:19 PM
Ado

Quote:
Originally Posted by echidna View Post
I'm curious as to how this design (especially the doors) will be modified for a spider version ???
The spider will be a different model to prevent a massive loss of value.
post #9 of 42 Old 01-04-2017, 03:25 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundincircles View Post
There appears to be a shelf a la 12C/650S but not sure about the platform a la GT. Should know on Feb 2 nd reveal.
It's obvious that it's a bench seat for people under 30" ......which covers a large range of the child population ....or a 15 cup expression machine ...depending on the range of the fuel tank and how many stops you need to make ...
Craigy likes this.

The (675) "Beast"
post #10 of 42 Old 01-04-2017, 03:30 PM
Owner
Owner

Quote:

Looks to me like the roof part and the rear pieces above the deck line might be pieces that need not be there. And voila. Arachnid
post #11 of 42 Old 01-04-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
post #12 of 42 Old 01-04-2017, 04:19 PM
isv
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
Looks to me like the roof part and the rear pieces above the deck line might be pieces that need not be there. And voila. Arachnid
There should be a more meaningful difference in dynamics between the spider and coupe this time than the P11 cars if the car goes from mostly a full monocoque to a roofless one in the spider as compared to rather more basic carbon tub used for the prior car. or perhaps we've reached the stage where increases in torsional stiffness isn't necessarily noticeable given the basic tub is already pretty stiff.
post #13 of 42 Old 01-04-2017, 04:20 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
The spider will be a different model to prevent a massive loss of value.
Sorry but that makes no sense to me at all. Please explain.
post #14 of 42 Old 01-04-2017, 04:34 PM

I see a lot a forged carbon fiber in this new monocoque.

Simply enthusiast
post #15 of 42 Old 01-04-2017, 04:55 PM
Owner
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
There should be a more meaningful difference in dynamics between the spider and coupe this time than the P11 cars if the car goes from mostly a full monocoque to a roofless one in the spider as compared to rather more basic carbon tub used for the prior car. or perhaps we've reached the stage where increases in torsional stiffness isn't necessarily noticeable given the basic tub is already pretty stiff.
Yeah not sure.. to me it looks like there will be more reasons to have the coupe, be it the doors, glass panels in the roof... i don't believe the spider will be more compromised than before.. doesn't make sense.. i was of a mind that my p14 (s?) would be spiders, but seeing the coupe and understanding a litlte of what is trying to be done, i am now not sure.. i have always been a coupe guy and as am in a fortunate position of not particularly needing to track a road car, it seemed that having the spider which would therefore likely never see a track was the way forward.. but the roof panels will replicate the light of the roof off spider, without the downsides of the buffeting (although admittedly without the increase in decibels from the motor either.. ) and of course more light than the spider with the roof up... the p1 as you well know is a super cool cockpit to be in, and for me that setup is preferable to the wind in your hair and a sunburnt bald spot..

So, in short, i haven't a clue.. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.