P14 - What it looks like. - Page 99 - McLaren Life
 1476Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1471 of 1792 Old 02-15-2017, 05:00 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfrog3 View Post
Real question is what tires where used for these numbers? We know that the LT comes with pirelli trofeo R. My guess is that the 720S would have more of a street pirelli.
McLaren mentioned that the P14 would deliver comparable times on the newly designed P Zero vs. the older Trofeo.
Nadeemy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1792 Old 02-15-2017, 05:04 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
McLaren mentioned that the P14 would deliver comparable times on the newly designed P Zero vs. the older Trofeo.
WOW! That's awesome! Pirelli have really improved their tires then!
post #1473 of 1792 Old 02-15-2017, 05:29 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

SECOND-GENERATION McLAREN SUPER SERIES SET TO RAISE THE LIMITS OF SUPERCAR PERFORMANCE

15 Feb 2017

New 4.0-litre engine will power second-generation McLaren Super Series

• Twin-turbocharged V8 provides stunning performance: acceleration to 200km/h (124mph) takes 7.8 seconds and the standing quarter mile 10.3 seconds
  • New exhaust system has been tuned to provide a soundtrack to match the extreme performance of the engine, with the further option of a sports exhaust
  • Engineered beauty of new 4.0-litre engine showcased by engine bay illumination as part of the welcome sequence on vehicle unlocking

The second-generation McLaren Super Series, which will make its public debut on March 7 at the 87th Geneva International Motor Show, is poised to raise previously accepted limits of supercar performance. Drivers will be able to enjoy acceleration from standstill to 200km/h (124mph) in just 7.8 seconds, accompanied by a soulful, clean and crisp exhaust note that is among the most emotive of any McLaren.

“The new 4.0-litre M840T is an outstanding engine powering an exceptional supercar capable of covering a standing quarter mile in 10.3 seconds,” commented McLaren Super Series Vehicle Line Director, Haydn Baker. “Power, torque and throttle response are all significantly enhanced compared to the first-generation Super Series, yet with fuel efficiency and emissions also notably improved.”

The ultra-low inertia, twin-scroll turbochargers fitted to the new M840T engine typify the engineering philosophy of advancement in every area, pursued throughout the development of McLaren’s new supercar. Spooling up more rapidly than previous designs, they deliver reduced turbo lag and quicker throttle response.

The new 4.0-litre engine signals its performance credentials with an exhaust sound achieved through a sophisticated balance of harmonics and delivering a ‘crescendo’ characteristic, according to engine rpm and load. A sports exhaust is optional for those who want still more aural excitement.

Owners will also be able to showcase the heart of their new car – in particular, the cast-aluminium air intake plenum with McLaren Speedmark logo on top of the new V8 engine – with engine bay illumination that operates on vehicle unlocking.

More details of the second-generation McLaren Super Series, including engine and performance specifications, will be confirmed on March 7.

Last edited by MarkNC; 02-15-2017 at 05:41 PM.

post #1474 of 1792 Old 02-15-2017, 05:34 PM

Twin scroll!!! Not DI though
post #1475 of 1792 Old 02-15-2017, 05:55 PM
isv
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
That's the new corsa that the P14 is coming with that is comparable to the trofeo than the standard Pzero though?
post #1476 of 1792 Old 02-15-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeSpirit View Post
Twin scroll!!! Not DI though
Absence of proof is not proof of absence. Improved fuel efficiency and emissions with 5% more capacity is a neat trick.
post #1477 of 1792 Old 02-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
That's the new corsa that the P14 is coming with that is comparable to the trofeo than the standard Pzero though?
I have some strong doubts about this. There hasn't been enough press for Pirelli to have leapfrogged the rest of the market by that much.
post #1478 of 1792 Old 02-15-2017, 08:21 PM
Owner
Owner

Garage
Are the current turbos mclaren use not twin scroll already ?

Hmmm...
post #1479 of 1792 Old 02-15-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc5 View Post
I have some strong doubts about this. There hasn't been enough press for Pirelli to have leapfrogged the rest of the market by that much.
You may have already seen it, and didn't believe it. Provided I'm right. The SV's ring time.
http://www.topgear.com/car-news/moto...v-crushes-ring
http://blog.caranddriver.com/watch-t...s-at-the-ring/
post #1480 of 1792 Old 02-15-2017, 09:34 PM
isv
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc5 View Post
The new Pzeros have delivered some quite remarkable lap times for Porsche to be fair, so you would assume the new corsas would have similarly improved. The Pirelli engineer at one of the Mclaren trackdays last year was adamant that the new pattern corsa due out would be comparable performance wise to the Cup2s I had on my car (as I was a bit uncomplimentary about the old corsas when I was asked why I had the michelins on my car ) and pretty close to the trofeo. I agree it sounds hard to credit that sort of improvement from the old tyre but imo it's probably more a matter that the old tyres were terrible and the new ones have simply brought Pirelli more in line with the rest of the high performance tyre manufacturers.
post #1481 of 1792 Old 02-15-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_elassar View Post
Are the current turbos mclaren use not twin scroll already ?
They are not, they are old school Mitsubishi TD04
sam_elassar likes this.
post #1482 of 1792 Old 02-15-2017, 10:45 PM

Not too sure about the glowing engine. Bit F&F Tokyo Drift to me...
Attached Images

post #1483 of 1792 Old 02-15-2017, 11:24 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTX View Post
At the end of the day McLaren makes too many models to really compete long term on the secondary market--it's just the way this very competitive market works these days.
I would put it another way - that at this point McLaren's customer base is not broad or deep enough to enable them to sell the (essentially) same model for as many years as Porsche and Ferrari can do. Relative to those more established car-makers, McLaren cannot generate sufficient volume unless it comes up with new models and variants. Too many of McLaren's customers feel the need to have the latest thing, rather than just having the best thing, the right thing, or a really good thing.

Obviously, the downside to that is that McLarens depreciate more quickly than they would if their newest, latest-and-greatest roll-outs were spaced farther apart.
post #1484 of 1792 Old 02-16-2017, 12:02 AM

I'm fine with McLaren's production strategy. If you want to avoid some depreciation, buy used and/or be patient.

I want the best stuff money can buy at any given time. End of story. I'll pay what I'm willing to pay for it. No one complains about being able to buy the latest and greatest phone every year, so why complain about the latest and greatest car models? There are plenty of places to spend your money if you don't like McLaren's strategy. Plenty of classic and vintage cars that are fun, cool, and even appreciating if that's what important to you.

Bring on the new stuff, year after year!
post #1485 of 1792 Old 02-16-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Britain View Post
I would put it another way - that at this point McLaren's customer base is not broad or deep enough to enable them to sell the (essentially) same model for as many years as Porsche and Ferrari can do. Relative to those more established car-makers, McLaren cannot generate sufficient volume unless it comes up with new models and variants. Too many of McLaren's customers feel the need to have the latest thing, rather than just having the best thing, the right thing, or a really good thing.

Obviously, the downside to that is that McLarens depreciate more quickly than they would if their newest, latest-and-greatest roll-outs were spaced farther apart.
Well said.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.