P14 - What it looks like. - Page 101 - McLaren Life
 1476Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1501 of 1792 Old 02-16-2017, 05:02 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
Yes it is. But I asked to be put on the list for the car back in March or April of last year. I did this in person, while I had my Mac in for maintenance, not on the phone. I was told back then the list was small at the time. I never got a call back, was never offered to put a deposit down. I called last fall, was told the list was long with priority going to owners of multiple Macs. I was never called to put a deposit down, and I was told that I would likely not even get the first model year. I then spoke on the phone with one of the owners of the dealer about at least seeing the car, which is when I was politely told I couldn't because of the limited availability. I was actually "ok" with all of this treatment, I figured it's just the same BS priority Ferrari does. Despite all this I was "ok" about not being able to see the 720S, I'm not a high roller, I understand. I thought I had a good relationship with the dealer, I stopped in to test drive the 650S and 570S when I was getting service and I have even brought along a new serious client. I was even "ok" with being swept under the rug and forgotten when deposits were taken... people forget, lose names, whatever happened I don't care. But when I hear that other second hand 12C owners, even some that never owned a Mac, got to see the 720S, while I wasn't good enough... I think I have a reason to be mad when I showed repeated interest in the car.

On the flip side, I'm #3 in line for the Performante, will get to see it in a private showing next week, and have never owned a Lambo. I'm not taking any current Lambo owner's spot in seeing the car either, they still have vacant openings for private showings. Despite all this, I will likely still keep my 12C because it's such a great car, but I don't think I'll buy a new Mac based on how I have been treated as a lowly 12C owner. I gave my Mac dealer a fair chance, unfortunately the next closest one is 8 hours away. I will likely just enjoy my Mac and build a relationship with Lamborghini from this point forward. They don't seem to care what I have owned before, but have pulled out the red carpet for me every time I stop in. That goes a long way in my book. In the past, I have bought a brand based on the customer experience alone.

Again, not to detract from the 720S, it seems it will be a great car, my experience may just be a dealer problem. I'm sure the 720S will be an even better car for those that have a great relationship with their dealer, and that's what's most important.
It does sound like you have a dealer who has learned from the school of Ferrari. That is quite unfortunate. They're not all like that.

Although, to be fair, this is exactly what we're asking for when we complain about depreciation; the only way to have little to negative depreciation is to have more demand than supply. Human nature being what it is, any situation of higher demand than supply creates artificial screening to filter the limited supply. End result is the Ferrari dealer experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1792 Old 02-16-2017, 05:22 PM
Owner

Quote:
Yes it is. But I asked to be put on the list for the car back in March or April of last year. I did this in person, while I had my Mac in for maintenance, not on the phone. I was told back then the list was small at the time. I never got a call back, was never offered to put a deposit down. I called last fall, was told the list was long with priority going to owners of multiple Macs. I was never called to put a deposit down, and I was told that I would likely not even get the first model year. I then spoke on the phone with one of the owners of the dealer about at least seeing the car, which is when I was politely told I couldn't because of the limited availability. I was actually "ok" with all of this treatment, I figured it's just the same BS priority Ferrari does. Despite all this I was "ok" about not being able to see the 720S, I'm not a high roller, I understand. I thought I had a good relationship with the dealer, I stopped in to test drive the 650S and 570S when I was getting service and I have even brought along a new serious client. I was even "ok" with being swept under the rug and forgotten when deposits were taken... people forget, lose names, whatever happened I don't care. But when I hear that other second hand 12C owners, even some that never owned a Mac, got to see the 720S, while I wasn't good enough... I think I have a reason to be mad when I showed repeated interest in the car.

On the flip side, I'm #3 in line for the Performante, will get to see it in a private showing next week, and have never owned a Lambo. I'm not taking any current Lambo owner's spot in seeing the car either, they still have vacant openings for private showings. Despite all this, I will likely still keep my 12C because it's such a great car, but I don't think I'll buy a new Mac based on how I have been treated as a lowly 12C owner. I gave my Mac dealer a fair chance, unfortunately the next closest one is 8 hours away. I will likely just enjoy my Mac and build a relationship with Lamborghini from this point forward. They don't seem to care what I have owned before, but have pulled out the red carpet for me every time I stop in. That goes a long way in my book. In the past, I have bought a brand based on the customer experience alone.

Again, not to detract from the 720S, it seems it will be a great car, my experience may just be a dealer problem. I'm sure the 720S will be an even better car for those that have a great relationship with their dealer, and that's what's most important.
Dude, I'm so pissed for you. That is straight BS. I hate when car salesman (who probably drive a camry) put themselves between the real customers and what was probably an awesome experience for everyone that went to the event yesterday.

I'm not sure but I do believe that McLaren Chicago has a new owner that is quite friendly. Might be worth reaching out to reconcile.
post #1503 of 1792 Old 02-16-2017, 05:46 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Not to crash the excitement surrounding the 720S, but this statement caught me off guard and pisses me off. Nothing against what you said, but what that statement just revealed to me pushes my buttons. I own a 12C and I showed a real genuine interest in putting down a deposit at my dealer whom I see for my yearly maintenance. When I asked if I could get an invite to the NY preview, I was told by the owner of the dealer "No offense, but you don't own a P1 or 675LT, this preview is reserved for owners who own two or three McLarens." Those were his exact words. I really wanted to see this car, but I told him I understood the situation. Now I hear that some who have never owned a Mac got to see it.

This makes me

This makes me mad too. And hearing it made McLaren mad as well!

Read your Private Messages please.
Peloton25, andy c, Mikeyb and 7 others like this.

post #1504 of 1792 Old 02-16-2017, 06:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Not to crash the excitement surrounding the 720S, but this statement caught me off guard and pisses me off. Nothing against what you said, but what that statement just revealed to me pushes my buttons. I own a 12C and I showed a real genuine interest in putting down a deposit at my dealer whom I see for my yearly maintenance. When I asked if I could get an invite to the NY preview, I was told by the owner of the dealer "No offense, but you don't own a P1 or 675LT, this preview is reserved for owners who own two or three McLarens." Those were his exact words. I really wanted to see this car, but I told him I understood the situation. Now I hear that some who have never owned a Mac got to see it.

This makes me
This is a dealer issue. As others stated some Ferrari (not most but a few) have been known to act like this. The dealer that didn't give you an invite needs to be your ex-dealer. Go to another one unless they have since changed to new ownership and management that you can forge a relationship with.

I had a Ferrari dealer years ago where I didn't get the proper attention and they are now an ex-dealer. I went to another dealer and the entire company and staff are great. Never looked back.

Fortunately for me, there are quite a few Mclaren dealers in the northeast and they all seem to be some of the best. So for me with Mclaren I've never had any issues whatsoever. I'm sure you will easily find a dealer that will take great care of you.

2016 Porsche 911 GT3 RS UltraViolet
2015 Ferrari 458 Spider Rosso Corsa
2013 BMW M5 Alpine White Individual
2012 BMW X5M Melbourne Red
a few others....

Last edited by Exotic_Driver; 02-16-2017 at 06:17 PM.
post #1505 of 1792 Old 02-16-2017, 08:01 PM
snb

Nice poster by McLaren of the 720S at a VIP event, not sure if they want this online though.
https://instagram.com/p/BQlHmI3lKPY/
post #1506 of 1792 Old 02-16-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:

I read the original post that you responded to but didn't get a chance to respond. I just didn't know if some of the non McLaren owners that viewed the 720S were a +1 who tagged along with an actual owner. You are not alone a friend of mine that inquired about the viewing from Greenwich did get a response to his questions but no response to his actual question of attending. He responded back that he received no response about his main question and the manager of the dealerships answer was that they were told to keep it secret and for only McLaren owners and 720 order holders. And with that he added why don't you purchase a McLaren and get onto the owners list for these invites. I have the email and it reads of the Ferrari elite BS that people complain about. I was really caught off guard by the way it was written even though he was trying to be helpful. I spoke to a few dealers leading up to these viewings and seems like McLaren was swamped with requests. Not sure how all of them dealt with those that were disappointed. Just like McLaren house in Monterey I thought that they are improving and getting better with each year but there seemed to be enough people to complain about things. Can't please everyone and maybe a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I wanted to add I was reading about a member in Korea (hope I understood that correctly) that has a deposit down for 720 and believes he should get one of the first ones in his area. I wanted to say that I've had deposits down with the factory since my visit in March 2015. Going to be interesting how the production flows for this model.
post #1507 of 1792 Old 02-16-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Yes it is.
Sucks that the Chicago dealer would do this. They are closest to me, but I may look somewhere else if that is how they treat people. Not to hijack the thread, but what dealers are good ones?

Ok, back to the regular thread...I actually really like the LEDs in the engine bay as long as you can turn them off. Has it been confirmed yet if the customer can open the engine cover, or is it like the 570S?
post #1508 of 1792 Old 02-17-2017, 03:56 AM
Owner

Omg. All that whining. The VIP preview of the car to be officially unveiled on March 7 at the Geneva show was supposed to be for whom to attend? Anyone? Give the company and the dealers a break. They had less seats than demand for the first time, and they did not handle it perfect? If you'd be a dealer with ten seats at the preview and 30 potential customers, what would you do? Get over with it.

And, btw., the engine lights come on during the initial phase of turning on the car. And they turn off after that as far as I was told. Kind of a welcome signal together withnthe cabin lights.

Last edited by Declan; 02-17-2017 at 03:59 AM.
post #1509 of 1792 Old 02-17-2017, 11:53 AM

post #1510 of 1792 Old 02-17-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Omg. All that whining. The VIP preview of the car to be officially unveiled on March 7 at the Geneva show was supposed to be for whom to attend? Anyone? Give the company and the dealers a break. They had less seats than demand for the first time, and they did not handle it perfect? If you'd be a dealer with ten seats at the preview and 30 potential customers, what would you do? Get over with it.

And, btw., the engine lights come on during the initial phase of turning on the car. And they turn off after that as far as I was told. Kind of a welcome signal together withnthe cabin lights.
Well, to be fair, the right thing to say would simply be "sorry, we're all out of seats. It's a limited event and our biggest clients have reserved spots. Will let you know if anything comes up. We'd love to have you come test it once we get a demo."

Saying, "No offense" but you're not a big enough spender is pretty rude.

I mean, I'm not a dealer and I don't deal with customers for anything, but I think I just provided the best customer service one could ever offer, pretty much on the spot without any sort of script.
post #1511 of 1792 Old 02-17-2017, 12:17 PM
snb

Detailed spyshots including interior and headlights.
https://www.motor.es/noticias/mclare...201733994.html
post #1512 of 1792 Old 02-17-2017, 06:33 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeemy View Post
My experience:

Person who buys numerous cars, leases them, holds onto it for six months, sells it on consignment and then goes into the next car is the ideal customer for car dealers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snb View Post
Nice poster by McLaren of the 720S at a VIP event, not sure if they want this online though.
https://instagram.com/p/BQlHmI3lKPY/

Last Picture before his Phone was taken away
snb likes this.

jaguar XFR , Panoz Esperante JRD , McLaren 650S, RR TD6, BMW 330E Hybrid
post #1513 of 1792 Old 02-17-2017, 06:39 PM
isv
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc5 View Post
Although, to be fair, this is exactly what we're asking for when we complain about depreciation; the only way to have little to negative depreciation is to have more demand than supply. Human nature being what it is, any situation of higher demand than supply creates artificial screening to filter the limited supply. End result is the Ferrari dealer experience.
^ this... good residuals are obviously nice but one might perhaps be careful of what one wishes for as good residuals don't mean a lot if you can't get a car....
roundincircles and Craigy like this.
post #1514 of 1792 Old 02-17-2017, 07:29 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
^ this... good residuals are obviously nice but one might perhaps be careful of what one wishes for as good residuals don't mean a lot if you can't get a car....
isv.......this sounds like an old Chinese saying from the Little Red Book.
andy c likes this.

roundincircles

Started with Scalextric

Various 911's from 1991

Smart 4/2 , 16 Honda Africa Twin.

12C Coupe , Spider and 650S Spider Now History but not forgotten. 720S on order since 2013.
post #1515 of 1792 Old 02-17-2017, 08:06 PM

Mycroft, Mjet507 and hesperus like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.