675LT or 650S as DD - McLaren Life
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By NVMcLaren
  • 1 Post By nordstat
  • 1 Post By sungheehan

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-19-2017, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

675LT or 650S as DD

Will be picking one up within the next 2 months. Would like something I can semi-DD (3x a week) where it won't break my back. I'm coming from a Aston DBS and M6 gran coupe... I've only driven the 650S and I know I can DD that without too many issues as far as comfort, clearance, road noise, etc... but the LT keeps catching my eye for a few reasons (I think they hold better value, the little changes cosmetically just make it look so much better, more of a wow factor, and that exhaust noise!) Performance is a factor but not at the top of my list as both cars far exceed my driving skills (I think). I plan to do a few track days but won't be something I do consistently. (May catch the bug once i do a few track days). Is the LT significantly more harsh than the 650S? I know there's less noise dampening is it a night and day difference as far as cabin noise / rattling? Turn radius that bad compared to the 650s? i realize most of this is subjective but any feedback between the 2 would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to join the mclaren family!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-19-2017, 06:15 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Garage
Two completely different cars. Clearance on the LT is much more of a concern. The LT is a bit stiffer and if you have race buckets getting in and out will be a little more taxing. If your worried about holding value over ride compliance the LT is the choice. If you want wow factor and engine notes...the LT will again be the choice. In the visually Wow department my experience is that only the discerning auto enthusiasts see or know the differences between the two and even some of the proclaimed enthusiasts don't know. Doesn't matter which one I drive the first question I always get is - "what is it?" All the people I run into are just as enthusiastic with both! The fact that it's a McLaren causes that excitement! I'd drive the 650 as a DD and the LT is my treat to drive on occasion (mostly cause I want to hold value). If it were my money go for the 650s - probably can find a good deal. If you have LT cash maybe the new 720 is your choice (I think you'll find it's the best of both worlds)
post #3 of 9 Old 05-19-2017, 06:19 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmor View Post
Will be picking one up within the next 2 months. Would like something I can semi-DD (3x a week) where it won't break my back. I'm coming from a Aston DBS and M6 gran coupe... I've only driven the 650S and I know I can DD that without too many issues as far as comfort, clearance, road noise, etc... but the LT keeps catching my eye for a few reasons (I think they hold better value, the little changes cosmetically just make it look so much better, more of a wow factor, and that exhaust noise!) Performance is a factor but not at the top of my list as both cars far exceed my driving skills (I think). I plan to do a few track days but won't be something I do consistently. (May catch the bug once i do a few track days). Is the LT significantly more harsh than the 650S? I know there's less noise dampening is it a night and day difference as far as cabin noise / rattling? Turn radius that bad compared to the 650s? i realize most of this is subjective but any feedback between the 2 would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to join the mclaren family!
Yes to all your questions!
I think in your case and you have one supercar in your garage you should go for the LT. If you wouldnt do any trackdays at all perhaps the 650 is the better choice because the comfort level is really different, meaning you can hardly talk on the phone and the ground clearance is always a challenge. And when you get the LT , get it with the trofeo tyres so you can feel the car best.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-19-2017, 08:08 AM
Owner

Ground clearance and turning circle are the main concerns with a 675LT as an everyday car (even with lift). It is more involving, and hence more tiring to drive for longer distances (I am happy with this trait). It is always an occasion to drive the 675LT and it is amazing on the track (takes time to trust how fast and capable the car is). Coming from a DBS and an M6 you will need to recalibrate your driving for the increased speed. If you use it everyday it will affect the value in the long term, but would probably still be better than a 650S in terms of residuals. The 650S is a superb car and easier to live with, just that bit more comfortable and quieter. Its also less tiring to drive, but less fun. They are both not easy to get in and out of unless you're fairly agile. The doors are not ideal for parking, in both cars they need room to open and can get blocked by other cars. Seats are very subjective, so take a long test drive. I love buckets and find them comfortable, some people don't get on with buckets and prefer the sports seats, it depends on your size and shape. Finally the carrying capacity is limited to the front boot, about 150 litres with only a small central bin and small netting pouch inside the car, both are not easy to access when moving.

Unless you are a committed driver and do a few track days the 650S is a more rounded everyday supercar, with more than enough performance. I have not driven the 720S, but if you can afford the 675LT you should seriously consider it. It really is a 650S 2.0+. It is much easier to get in and out of due to monocage 2 and the new doors. It has extra storage for small things in the doors. The doors can still be opened in tighter spaces (they look really stunning), it has about an extra 210 litres of luggage capacity in the car like the 570GT. It is faster than the 675LT on paper. In the short term demand seems high so it should hold its value better than a 650S. It is a really fresh design and I think it will date well.

In summary, best everyday supercar 720S with extra wow factor and performance, slightly slower and less practical 650S, least practical and most effort to drive, but also most fun (wow factor to those who know) 675LT.

For me the best cars are about interaction/feedback, but as these increase so does noise (hopefully the right kind of noise), comfort decreases (you want feedback) and fatigue increases (interaction is tiring). This can be a problem some of the time in a daily driver, but for some its a compromise worth taking to enjoy a great car more often.

(Just to complicate things have you considered the 570S and 570GT? Recently drove both, they really punch above their price bracket. Its fun finding the right car/cars!)
post #5 of 9 Old 05-19-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback. Seems like the LT is everything I want if I removed the "DD" factor out of the equation. I will have other cars to drive so LT still in the running!

I did drive the 570GT it was actually the car I intended to purchase when I first visited the dealership. Figured I'd also test the 650S just to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything and was blown away how comfortable it was with more punch in acceleration.

Definitely interested in the 720S but I don't want to wait 12-16months for one. And don't want to pay over sticker for one
post #6 of 9 Old 05-19-2017, 10:23 PM
Owner

I would go with 650S, LT ground clearance is just too low for a DD imo. Plus it's just boring miles on an otherwise stellar car.
gmor likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-20-2017, 12:35 AM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMcLaren View Post
I would go with 650S, LT ground clearance is just too low for a DD imo. Plus it's just boring miles on an otherwise stellar car.
This. Bank/invest the $150k differential between a lightly used 650s and a used 675LT and save it for the trade to the 720s in 18 months.
gmor likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-20-2017, 03:20 AM
Sponsors
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmor View Post
Will be picking one up within the next 2 months. Would like something I can semi-DD (3x a week) where it won't break my back. I'm coming from a Aston DBS and M6 gran coupe... I've only driven the 650S and I know I can DD that without too many issues as far as comfort, clearance, road noise, etc... but the LT keeps catching my eye for a few reasons (I think they hold better value, the little changes cosmetically just make it look so much better, more of a wow factor, and that exhaust noise!) Performance is a factor............. I can't wait to join the mclaren family!
I say get a 650S and send it to us and get more performance and the looks for less! 800LT = This was a fun and sexy build!

Thad@hyperfastcars.com
Ph: 844.HYPER.10
post #9 of 9 Old 05-20-2017, 06:08 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

DD both 650S and the LT. You can't go wrong with the LT. I live in Seoul, one of the most traffic dense city in the world, and I manage fine driving the LT. The level of satisfaction you get from the LT is incomparable to that of 650S. Every second in the LT will be worth the trouble.
andy c likes this.

2017 Mclaren 570GT (Pacific)
2016 Mclaren 675LT (Napier Green)
2016 Mclaren 570s (Blade Silver)
2016 Mclaren 650s Spyder (Volcano Red)
2015 Maserati Quattroporte Q4 (Champagne)
2015 Mercedes Benz AMG GT (Magnetite Black)
2012 Ferrari 458 (Rosso Corsa)
2008 Porsche Turbo 6-Speed (Polar Silver)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.