Best car in the world? 675LT - McLaren Life
 77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 04-02-2017, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Smile Best car in the world? 675LT

I think the 675LT, (coupe and spider, i've owned both), are the best, most satisfying drivers cars for 'realistic' money out there. Whether its cruising around town or doing hot laps the car is remarkable. And yet, they do not seem to be much in demand. I'm amazed by this. Let's discuss....
My pro's for the car are:
1)Super exotic-gull wing doors, carbon fiber monocoque, mid-engine turbo v8, air brake! stuff of dreams....
2)Build quality-not a rattle or a squeak, super stiff, tremendous....
3)Styling- Like what a childish Lambo wants to be when it grows up and not boy toy from the 80's like a Ferrari, just perfect sophisticated yet wild and exotic
4)Super rare- only a thousand world wide, ridiculously rare in fact!
5)Fast as hell- Randy Pobst has it within .7/sec of a 918 porsche around Willow Springs in a great must-watch video
6)Just perfect ergonomics...
7)McLaren F1 pedigree
8) did i mention, they were exotic and rare?
9) Oh, the suspension, again, you'll never find something like that on a Ferrari, Porsche or Lambo...no sway bars, but yet no sway???

Cons:
uh,,,,,let me know!

For the record, I want to be buried in mine...
Attached Images

andy c, TTM0TION, ScottL and 8 others like this.

Last edited by MacNcheese; 04-02-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 04-02-2017, 11:05 PM

nice picture

McLaren Enthusiast
Keyboard Warrior
post #3 of 37 Old 04-02-2017, 11:05 PM
675LT
Owner

Agreed. Only issue arguing again your line of thinking is the 720S. If it's as good as everyone is claiming it puts a lot of downward pressure on the LT.

post #4 of 37 Old 04-02-2017, 11:09 PM
Owner

Think you will find a 0.0001 % chance this thread doesn't devolve into LT spider gaff thread. But you did ask!!
post #5 of 37 Old 04-02-2017, 11:11 PM
Owner

All points are true and I argue the same about my 12C. Yet, a troublesome, higher maintenance Ferrari holds better value ... ??? As for my 12C, I think it is the rare horror stories, and crazy pricing for replacement transaxle, for example. My car had early minor problems (headlight, rear lights, windshield wipers) so PO must have thought it was a lemon -- turns out to be a great supercar, and I second all the points you made !
MP4Dream likes this.
post #6 of 37 Old 04-02-2017, 11:58 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis View Post
Agreed. Only issue arguing again your line of thinking is the 720S. If it's as good as everyone is claiming it puts a lot of downward pressure on the LT.
To some extent.. but I still believe the LT is more hardcore (especially with scoop) so will always have its separate appeal. No denying how cool the 720s is
R8Pro likes this.
post #7 of 37 Old 04-03-2017, 12:13 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Garage
Mclaren lacks a "community" of owners.

Lots of people buy exotic cars for other than how good they are. Lifestyle and access play a big part in the decision making process of which brand/marquee to go into.
Kamran, bbeavers and Kutsuki like this.
post #8 of 37 Old 04-03-2017, 12:21 AM
Owner

Garage
Someday I want to grow up to join the big boys club!
Craigy likes this.

2016 570S Coupe
post #9 of 37 Old 04-03-2017, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeemy View Post

Lots of people buy exotic cars for other than how good they are. Lifestyle and access play a big part in the decision making process of which brand/marquee to go into.
You're right. We need more weekends, overnighters and track days. Sure would be nice to have factory support, but 30 some years ago, some of us Maserati guys would pitch in and rent tracks and would invite the Ferrari and Lambo crew. We all had a great time all without any factory help. Those track days have now morphed into mammoth events that aren't all that fun anymore.
post #10 of 37 Old 04-03-2017, 02:30 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeygt View Post
You're right. We need more weekends, overnighters and track days. Sure would be nice to have factory support, but 30 some years ago, some of us Maserati guys would pitch in and rent tracks and would invite the Ferrari and Lambo crew. We all had a great time all without any factory help. Those track days have now morphed into mammoth events that aren't all that fun anymore.
Usually like minded people will find each other (ie, people who track will find each other).

Just a general observation;

The ferrari owner's group in my area organize a drive every couple of weeks throughout the year and then do dinners, a formal rally, auction for charity, etc. However, many of the people in that group seem to have bought their cars for business purposes and to get access to other people whom they can sell their products and services.

On top of that you have a lot of other ferrari related groups that do the same thing.

The ferrari challenge is a big event with people not just racing but other owners can bring their car on track, hospitality tent and then random kids, etc. get to hang around and soak it all up.

A big advantage for ferrari is that people are living their dreams by owning 80K cars and they buy them to get access to the people who drive the more expensive cars).

All of this combines to have many surrogates of the marquee out there.

My experience with mclaren owners is that they'll track but not so interested in the lifestyle aspects. However, the lifestyle aspects and community is where a lot more people will come into the brand.
R8Pro, J1n and ticat928 like this.
post #11 of 37 Old 04-03-2017, 04:04 AM

McLaren have great cars but as mentioned above it is the 'Lifestyle events' and general marketing that McLaren has a way to go still in order to swing any Ferrari owners. Having a Ferrari and a McLaren simultaneously gives me good insight into this.....
Nadeemy likes this.
post #12 of 37 Old 04-03-2017, 09:11 AM
isv
Owner

Quote:

Hm, to be honest the lack of this 'lifestyle' thing is part of the appeal for some with Mclaren....
Jerry, conekilr, R8Pro and 5 others like this.
post #13 of 37 Old 04-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Owner

Back to the question in the thread title...

My LT never fails to put a massive grin on my face. It's the combination of mega power, ultra-low weight and precise yet entertaining dynamics - all coming together in a perfectly balanced package. Many owners have personalised their LT's too - which definitely adds to the bond between car and owner.

So yes, definitely the best car in the world.
andy c, Mikeyb, TTM0TION and 3 others like this.
post #14 of 37 Old 04-03-2017, 10:26 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis View Post
initially Yes.....its the new kid on the Block, but in the long run its still the Cooking model of which 7000 will be built ...And with every other brand the new model is quicker...but the LT will always be special and history will show that

The (675) "Beast"
post #15 of 37 Old 04-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Owner

Quote:
Usually like minded people will find each other (ie, people who track will find each other).

Just a general observation;

The ferrari owner's group in my area organize a drive every couple of weeks throughout the year and then do dinners, a formal rally, auction for charity, etc. However, many of the people in that group seem to have bought their cars for business purposes and to get access to other people whom they can sell their products and services.

On top of that you have a lot of other ferrari related groups that do the same thing.

The ferrari challenge is a big event with people not just racing but other owners can bring their car on track, hospitality tent and then random kids, etc. get to hang around and soak it all up.

A big advantage for ferrari is that people are living their dreams by owning 80K cars and they buy them to get access to the people who drive the more expensive cars).

All of this combines to have many surrogates of the marquee out there.

My experience with mclaren owners is that they'll track but not so interested in the lifestyle aspects. However, the lifestyle aspects and community is where a lot more people will come into the brand.

There needs to be someone who steps up to the plate on this! Now in the UK there is a private facebook forum (220 members) which is a massive percentage of Uk owners...people do lots of social events every week..i appreciate its logistically more complicated in the States..but you have 4 times the volume of cars over there..So lots of possibilities ..

The (675) "Beast"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.