675LT or 720S? That is the question! - Page 3 - McLaren Life
 170Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 101 Old 02-17-2017, 01:22 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodini View Post
I drive a 650s spider and am adding a 720s. (more than likely keeping my spider) My game plan was to switch the 650s for a 675lt spider. My question to you gentlemen that have experience in the LT coupe and LT spider, is the spider lacking compared to the coupe?
Only visually .aurally the spider is better unless you get a scoop , which will shorten that gap
Hoodini likes this.

The (675) "Beast"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 101 Old 02-17-2017, 01:50 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodini View Post
I drive a 650s spider and am adding a 720s. (more than likely keeping my spider) My game plan was to switch the 650s for a 675lt spider. My question to you gentlemen that have experience in the LT coupe and LT spider, is the spider lacking compared to the coupe?
Depends what you consider lacking.

There's pros and cons and no clear winner. Driving wise they feel pretty much the same. I think the coupe looks like nicer overall - especially with the roof scoop. The coupe has some extra storage space behind seats which is a great place to put a jacket or some extra clothing but also makes the cabin feel roomier. But the coupe has the big plastic window which reflects a lot of light in funny directions so it makes visibility through the rear-view mirror a challenge at times. The LT Spider has the same glass rear window as 650S Spider so rear-view mirror visibility is pretty good. The Spider lets you put the rear window down so you can more clearly hears the pops and bangs of the exhaust. Of course the Spider is a convertible and if you want open-air driving there's nothing that can substitute for that.

Also in comparing 650S Spider to 675LT Spider:

- The suspension on the LT is better than that on the 650S because it still eat up the bumps but doesn't have the "floaty" feeling of the 650S
- The steering on the LT is better than the 650S; faster rack, more direct feel
- The LT come standard with Trofeo tires which tramline far less due to the stronger sidewalls but don't have much grip when they're cold and aren't good on very wet surfaces
- The LT has more power than the 650S and feels more responsive
- If you want a louder exhaust sound (it can be a negative if you don't) the LT has it
- The LT is lower in the front so you need to use the lifter more often
- The LT has a wider turning circle so it's less fun in tight parking lots and making U-turns in narrow streets

I think a 675LT Spider and P14 coupe would be a great combination of cars. Use the Spider when you want exhilarating top-down driving and use the coupe when you want a more comfortable and luxurious experience or when it's cold/wet outside.
mikey k and Hoodini like this.
post #33 of 101 Old 02-17-2017, 04:05 PM
Owner

Will the 720 crack on upshifts like the 675 does?

post #34 of 101 Old 02-17-2017, 05:22 PM

+1 on keeping my 675LT-S. I haven't driven anything that's as satisfying dynamically or aurally.

That may change of course, but selling and buying for a couple of 10'ths is a tail-chase IMO...

There's always a faster car.. something you learn quickly when you run around with guys who own Undeground Racing built cars.

"If your horse dies, I suggest you dismount"
post #35 of 101 Old 02-18-2017, 08:31 AM
Owner

The smart money is with the 675LT Club Sport.
They are now the rarest of the breed !
andy c, Mikeyb and snowhorn like this.
post #36 of 101 Old 02-18-2017, 11:15 AM

Having just attended the NYC VIP preview of the 720S I can say it is one beautiful car. I am an LT owner and have also struggled with the question raised at the beginning of the post.. LT vs 720S, so you can imagine when I had an opportunity to talk to Bruno Senna (also an LT owner, as is Jenson Button, and I believe several other F1 or ex F1 drivers) about the differences I jumped at the chance... after 30 minutes of discussion on the differences I asked "so are you selling the LT for the 720S?"... the answer was a resounding NO!..
If you like the sensation of raw speed, a car that requires careful inputs to manage traction at the limit, balance understeer under certain situations and is an occasion every time you drive it, a more raw experience then the LT is your car... If you want a car that will make you a faster driver, puts the power down better, has a superior suspension, can be daily driven if needed then it's the 720S..

For me the choice is clear.. Keep the LT.. (until off course they make a new LT, then all bets are off again..)

By the way he also mentioned that the driving experience of both cars beats that of the P1.. the LT just head of the 720S..
andy c, Mikeyb, snowhorn and 2 others like this.
post #37 of 101 Old 02-18-2017, 12:45 PM
Owner

Just after the 3,RHD scooped Harness bar cars ........ Clutching here !
OldDD likes this.

The (675) "Beast"
post #38 of 101 Old 02-18-2017, 05:36 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

675LT or 720S? That is the question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsondriver View Post
By the way he also mentioned that the driving experience of both cars beats that of the P1.. the LT just head of the 720S..
Sorry but he's just plain wrong here. I have a P1, LT Spider, MSO HS and I previously owned an LT coupe. I can tell you that despite the extra weight the P1 is actually more nimble than the LT and there is way more available torque at all times. In race mode it sticks to the track better than the LT as well. Where the LT excels over the P1 is in ride quality on bumpy roads and having a more luxurious interior. As fun as the LT is to drive over the 650S - the P1 is that much more fun to drive over the LT. I see why everyone wants to compare their car to the P1 but there are VERY few cars that compare to the P1. The LT is not the baby P1, it's the big-boy 650S. It's still one hell of an awesome car however.
Nadeemy and sungheehan like this.

Last edited by MarkNC; 02-20-2017 at 10:17 AM.
post #39 of 101 Old 02-18-2017, 05:42 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
If you like the sensation of raw speed, a car that requires careful inputs to manage traction at the limit, balance understeer under certain situations and is an occasion every time you drive it, a more raw experience then the LT is your car... If you want a car that will make you a faster driver, puts the power down better, has a superior suspension, can be daily driven if needed then it's the 720S..
^^ I agree with this.
post #40 of 101 Old 02-18-2017, 06:20 PM
Owner

I love my 675LT. I know the 720S will be an outstanding car. Everyone is going to say it makes the LT seem outdated and old. I'm sure it will. But I'm not selling my LT nor am I getting a 720s. I'm fully up front and will say that, unlike some others, I don't have the funds to own both cars or else I would. I would not trade my LT in for a 720s as well.

But more germane to me is the idea that my car represents something more than pure performance or the next coolest thing. My LT was the first car I was able to spec exactly the way I want it. I got into McLarens at a key time where a lowly person like me would be able to get an allocation to the car because they had not yet started to play the Ferrari game - they rewarded the loyal customer who spoke highly of their cars. So the whole process was a culmination of my car life. I have other financial responsibilites looming, so I can't play the game that McLaren would want - buy more cars to get in line for the 720LT. Or the P whatever that comes on the horizon.

I understand that. It's business. Well, for me, it isn't. I'm keeping my roof-scooped blue baby for a long time.
nh4, snowhorn, New Britain and 3 others like this.
post #41 of 101 Old 02-18-2017, 06:25 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTX View Post
Until they come out with the 720LT version which they will
Of course they will.. but so what. There's something special about having the first LT they ever made.
Nadeemy and McLSyd like this.
post #42 of 101 Old 02-18-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoprufrok View Post
Of course they will.. but so what. There's something special about having the first LT they ever made.
No doubt 675LT is amazing.

Can't wait to see 720LT version...mind blowing car I'm sure.
post #43 of 101 Old 02-18-2017, 11:27 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Garage
Quote:

That has to be "sales speak". I have driven P1 and 675 quite a bit. P1 is just a different level in terms of the driving experience. Every mile I drive I just keep thinking "what a car" and how fortunate I am to own/drive a P1.

675 is a more practical car for me and how I use it. I'll never be able to have the skill to drive a P1 the way it is meant to be driven on a track but I will be able to get closer to the limits of the 675.
Twosherpaz and Iron5 like this.

Last edited by Nadeemy; 02-19-2017 at 07:27 PM.
post #44 of 101 Old 02-19-2017, 12:37 AM

I don't think it was sales talk, then he would have told me the 720s was the car to have. I think maybe he is saying the same thing, it's easier to have fun in the LT as you can explore it's limits... by the way I believe Jethro in his EVO video said the same thing!..
post #45 of 101 Old 02-19-2017, 02:55 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
I don't think it was sales talk, then he would have told me the 720s was the car to have. I think maybe he is saying the same thing, it's easier to have fun in the LT as you can explore it's limits... by the way I believe Jethro in his EVO video said the same thing!..

Sorry it's just bullshit. Ask the guys who own both which they'd keep if they could only keep one and it would be the P1 every time. Every time. Obviously Bruno doesn't own a P1 or drive one very often or he wouldn't say something so stupid.
Patricko, Declan and Iron5 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.