This was a fun and sexy build! - McLaren Life
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Thad@HCD
  • 1 Post By Thad@HCD
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-19-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Sponsors
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 119
This was a fun and sexy build!

So we just completed an exciting build of this 2016 650S Spider. Car was a pretty standard 650S. Nothing out of the norm. A few weeks later, we transform it into the beast pictured below.

The goody list includes:
  • Hyper800 Phase 1 power
  • Hyper1000 Transaxle upgrade (clutches, axles, LSD, etc)
  • Super Hyper Cooling Assist System (upgrades Intercoolers to 3 stage cooling and clutches to 2 stage cooling)
  • Hyper LT Carbon Airbrake
  • 675LT Face lift
  • 675LT Side skirts
  • P1 style Hood with full aero functionality
  • HCD Roll Bar
  • Sparco Seat
  • Schroth Harness
  • Hyper Lite 19" wheels with Michelin rubber (pictures will be uploaded later)
This is before:


And this is now








RonMathMD and sisc like this.
Thad@HCD is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 05-19-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Sponsors
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 119
Here are some topless shots:




















Who else is feeling the itch?
sisc likes this.
Thad@HCD is online now  
post #3 of 12 Old 05-19-2017, 07:40 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner
 
nordstat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 110
Awesome build...except the LT air break. Doesn't fit without the other non-LT body panels. Everything else looks great!
nordstat is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 05-19-2017, 11:10 PM
2012 12C Coupe - VR
 
RonMathMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Solana Beach, CA
Posts: 502
Garage
Excellent work, Thad! Have any more pix of the rear with the bigger airbrake?
RonMathMD is online now  
post #5 of 12 Old 05-19-2017, 11:42 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 642
I don't really get the hood. Where exactly is that air coming from?
noone2 is online now  
post #6 of 12 Old 05-20-2017, 12:35 AM
Owner
 
Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 140
So the LT side skirts fit right up to 12C/650S rear, lower quarters? I always thought the LT's were a bit wider and the side skirts matched up to that.

2012 12C | Elite Pearl White | Sports Exhaust | IRIS2 | Alcantara | Carbon Fiber Interior, Mirrors, Turning Vanes, Engine Bay 1 & 2

Instagram: @troysowers
YouTube: Troy Sowers
Lefty is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 05-20-2017, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Sponsors
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstat View Post
Awesome build...except the LT air break. Doesn't fit without the other non-LT body panels. Everything else looks great!
Do you mean the pix with the non LT wing? Sorry I'm confused.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMathMD View Post
Excellent work, Thad! Have any more pix of the rear with the bigger airbrake?
Yes I will share more detailed photos in the next couple of days. We are applying a few more coats of clear and will post soon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post
I don't really get the hood. Where exactly is that air coming from?
If you look closely at some of the front nose shots, you will see a stealthy opening under the mustache.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
So the LT side skirts fit right up to 12C/650S rear, lower quarters? I always thought the LT's were a bit wider and the side skirts matched up to that.
These after-market pieces fit up nice and tight with some work. They mount as close as OE parts get but do require a professional touch.

If anyone is interested in more info on a build feel free to contact me
Thad@HCD is online now  
post #8 of 12 Old 05-20-2017, 03:49 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 430
Garage
Looks fantastic to me (except the rear wing)! I'm afraid that by the time you buy a 660S and the package, you could have a real 675. Hope I'm wrong.

Current - 2015 Aurora Blue 650S Spider / 2014 Jeep Rubicon Ultimate Hard Rock / 2015 Italkart with IAME MY09
spdrcrj is online now  
post #9 of 12 Old 05-20-2017, 04:13 AM
 
Gabe650s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 11
Looks good! Did you get side skirts and bumper from Darwin?
Gabe650s is online now  
post #10 of 12 Old 05-21-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Sponsors
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcrj View Post
Looks fantastic to me (except the rear wing)! I'm afraid that by the time you buy a 660S and the package, you could have a real 675. Hope I'm wrong.
For what you can pick up a 650S for plus a phase1 build. The 675LT is still almost double with considerably less performance


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe650s View Post
Looks good! Did you get side skirts and bumper from Darwin?
Yes but they are not a direct fit. We actually had to do a lot of carbon repair and refinishing to get the posted results

Last edited by Thad@HCD; 05-22-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Thad@HCD is online now  
post #11 of 12 Old 05-22-2017, 03:37 AM
Owner
 
Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad@HCD View Post
These after-market pieces fit up nice and tight with some work. They mount as close as OE parts get but do require a professional touch.

If anyone is interested in more info on a build feel free to contact me
Hey Thad - I just meant as in any LT side skirts, wether OEM or Darwin/aftermarket, I didn't think they could match right up. I though those rear lower quarters where shaped a bit wider than the 12C/650S ones to allow those special side skirts to fit? Or are they all identical between the 675/650/12C?

2012 12C | Elite Pearl White | Sports Exhaust | IRIS2 | Alcantara | Carbon Fiber Interior, Mirrors, Turning Vanes, Engine Bay 1 & 2

Instagram: @troysowers
YouTube: Troy Sowers
Lefty is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 05-22-2017, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Sponsors
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Hey Thad - I just meant as in any LT side skirts, wether OEM or Darwin/aftermarket, I didn't think they could match right up. I though those rear lower quarters where shaped a bit wider than the 12C/650S ones to allow those special side skirts to fit? Or are they all identical between the 675/650/12C?
Troy - These aftermarket side skirts fit with less modification on the 12C (which indicates that these were developed around the 12C). We noticed that the 650S required more fab work to fit and mount. We have yet to see a direct fit body kit and that is why we are working on future model direct fit kits.

These darwin LT sides are just as wide as a true LT. The overall width on an LT chassis is mainly in the front nose and the rest of the aero tapers towards the rear and nearly matches to the standard 12C/650S dims
Thad@HCD is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome