Going to look at other options next year, no 720s - McLaren Life
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 04-20-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Going to look at other options next year, no 720s

Until McLaren starts stocking parts in the US and treating this as a elite brand, I am likely done. My 650 went in for yearly service and an issue was found (glad they found it!), but my car was kept for 1 month and they now have the nerve to ask me for $800 to ship it. Last time I checked, ownership of a 650s is >$4000/month, including insurance. So I paid 4k for them to have it a month and they want another $800 to ship it because it technically was drivable. Is this an elite brand? I've had both BMW and Lincoln (yes, I got an LS back when they came out in 2000) comp me a premium loaner and cover one month of payment when they had to have my car for an extended period. I go from 50k car to 300k supercar and treatment gets worse. I don't think so... maybe this is how all the "elite" brands behave? I hope not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 04-20-2017, 05:23 PM
Owner

That's a dealership issue.

I use McLaren Philadelphia and they are phenomenal to me. Best I've ever been treated by a dealership. I'm 27 and look young - they treat me like any other client and are ALWAYS understanding and appreciative of my business regardless of the scenario.

2012 12C | Elite Pearl White | Sports Exhaust | IRIS2 | Alcantara | Carbon Fiber Interior, Mirrors, Turning Vanes, Engine Bay 1 & 2

Instagram: @troysowers
YouTube: Troy Sowers
post #3 of 37 Old 04-20-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
That's a dealership issue.

I use McLaren Philadelphia and they are phenomenal to me. Best I've ever been treated by a dealership. I'm 27 and look young - they treat me like any other client and are ALWAYS understanding and appreciative of my business regardless of the scenario.
This dealership claims it's a McLaren corporate issue.

I like my car... will keep another year then try something new.

post #4 of 37 Old 04-20-2017, 06:13 PM
Owner

It's not a corporate issue. Which dealership is it?

My dealer (SF) is wonderful. I've had the best service hands down in all my years of driving cars. In truth, I haven't asked for a loaner - they are associated with Volvo, so I'm sure they'd get me one.
post #5 of 37 Old 04-20-2017, 06:20 PM

dealership issue..l I've done business with Mclaren Long Island and philidelphia. They treated me right. I've owned lots of different brands and Mclaren has by far treated me the best!
Gauhog likes this.

2015 McLaren 650S Mantis Green
2013 Nissan GTR Black Edition BoostLogic 750X
2012 Audi Q7 SCV6 S-line
2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2007 Audi RS4 APR 1740SC
post #6 of 37 Old 04-20-2017, 06:47 PM
Former Owner

30 days in shop = automatic qualify for lemon law. Great way to exit the brand.
post #7 of 37 Old 04-20-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

It's not a lemon LOL. Small leak d/t casting issue. Literally filled with JBweld b/c the McLaren product would have taken even longer to come in from England. In 15 months of ownership, it's spent 2.5 in repair... usually just waiting for stuff to come in through customs. I haven't complained about that and didn't until they asked for shipping. Apparently corporate has to approve reimbursement for the service dept to do this. I live 5.5-6 hours from them.
post #8 of 37 Old 04-20-2017, 07:22 PM

Garage
how many miles does the 650s have on it ? so sorry that sucks, sounds like all the issue i had with my 12C.
post #9 of 37 Old 04-20-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko14 View Post
how many miles does the 650s have on it ? so sorry that sucks, sounds like all the issue i had with my 12C.
I'm right at 4000. Issues have been minor. Typical coolant leak, fogged up brake light... stuff like that. But it goes and goes for a long time. They paid transport in the past. I had agreed to pay it this time until the issues and the extra long stay. I actually planned to pick the car up myself with a trailer, but it wasn't ready the weekend I was to be in town. Took another 2 weeks after this to resolve.
post #10 of 37 Old 04-20-2017, 07:32 PM

What dealership is this? I have had warantee repairs done and parts shipped in for them... I have never had my car in the shop more than a week or two for any type of repair.... and thats even with retro-fitting softclose doors.... (waiting for parts and labor to be done)

2015 McLaren 650S Mantis Green
2013 Nissan GTR Black Edition BoostLogic 750X
2012 Audi Q7 SCV6 S-line
2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2007 Audi RS4 APR 1740SC
post #11 of 37 Old 04-20-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8blst View Post
What dealership is this? I have had warantee repairs done and parts shipped in for them... I have never had my car in the shop more than a week or two for any type of repair.... and thats even with retro-fitting softclose doors.... (waiting for parts and labor to be done)
Houston... they've been good to me so far. This is the first time I've gotten out of sorts with them. It appears this will be their stance forward, so I'm done. No parts are stocked in the US. Not even for common things. If an issue comes up and the parts are not already at the dealer, then you wait. And it's not like they dealer can pre-order a brake light. "hey, this light is out. Here's the customer's picture. Let's get it ordered before the car is here". No, the car goes on a trailer, they confirm and diagnose, order part, sits in customs, get car back in 2-3 weeks.
post #12 of 37 Old 04-20-2017, 08:05 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thackl View Post
Houston... they've been good to me so far. This is the first time I've gotten out of sorts with them. It appears this will be their stance forward, so I'm done. No parts are stocked in the US. Not even for common things. If an issue comes up and the parts are not already at the dealer, then you wait. And it's not like they dealer can pre-order a brake light. "hey, this light is out. Here's the customer's picture. Let's get it ordered before the car is here". No, the car goes on a trailer, they confirm and diagnose, order part, sits in customs, get car back in 2-3 weeks.
I sent all my proof to McLaren Philadelphia 2 months before my annual service. My IRIS was acting up. They did all their due diligence BEFORE my car got there so when my car showed up, all warranty labor (and parts) were approved and sitting there ready for install.
Mjet507 likes this.

2012 12C | Elite Pearl White | Sports Exhaust | IRIS2 | Alcantara | Carbon Fiber Interior, Mirrors, Turning Vanes, Engine Bay 1 & 2

Instagram: @troysowers
YouTube: Troy Sowers
post #13 of 37 Old 04-20-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoprufrok View Post
It's not a corporate issue. Which dealership is it?

My dealer (SF) is wonderful. I've had the best service hands down in all my years of driving cars. In truth, I haven't asked for a loaner - they are associated with Volvo, so I'm sure they'd get me one.
They also own Toyota and a bunch of other dealerships. And Scion (RIP). And Fisker (RIP). Maybe we can get Fisker loaners :-) They still have lots of them stashed at various corporate sites.
post #14 of 37 Old 04-20-2017, 11:34 PM

How far away from the dealer are you?

When they say it's a McLaren issue, I think what they're saying is that McLaren Roadside won't cover it since it's driveable and/or they only cover a certain amount. It really probably depends on the distance to the dealer.
post #15 of 37 Old 04-21-2017, 01:54 AM
Owner

I am also 5+ hours from Houston, but last time I had an issue (sound generator gasket blown, so unmetered air entering intake), Houston DID have the part in stock. Are they keeping some 'minor' items in stock ... ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.