Time to fess up - I tuned my 650S and added sport cats! - McLaren Life
 8Likes
  • 4 Post By wolfturbo
  • 2 Post By Gabe650s
  • 2 Post By wolfturbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-11-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Time to fess up - I tuned my 650S and added sport cats!

Gents,

After much deliberation, I finally took the plunge and tuned my 650. My objective was likely the same as everybody else's who does this: to grab some of the extra power that is there for the taking on these cars, without compromising reliability, safety, or engine life.

I took the car to BBI in Huntington Beach, CA, which is known for being more of a Porsche & Ferrari tuner. However, I chose them because their work and attention to detail is second to none.

Bottom line is I am astounded with the results and could not be happier. I hope to add some pics that they took shortly. Their sport cats are made out of inconel and look like little jewels compared to the standard cats. Their couplers are completely custom formed and use an inconel flex joint that they originally developed for Indy cars. Easy to reverse as well, using all standard mounting brackets/perches.

I am hoping to put the car on a dyno shortly, but for now I can only confirm that my butt dyno tells me the car is way, way faster and responsive. The midrange punch when the car comes on boost is much stronger. At the low end, I am pretty much traction limited by my tires. However, on 3rd or 4th gear pulls from 60mph on up, the acceleration is mind boggling. The sound is quite manageable when I am just driving around town, but at WOT the car really screams now.

I will post the dyno results when we have them, but in the interim I will also offer that this same shop did cat bypass pipes, a sport exhaust and an ECU flash on my buddy's new 488GTB and they said my 650S was faster than that car. Also interesting to note that the shop tech couldn't get over how much better the build quality was on the Mac.

Just reporting from the trenches boys. Best regards to all.

Rob

2015 650S spider
2001 550 Maranello
1979 308GTB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-11-2017, 05:44 PM
2012 12C Coupe - VR

Garage
Congrats! Sounds awesome. Interested to see pix and dyno results.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-16-2017, 01:52 AM

Thoughts on sound? Been debating on going catless and adding tune from
Vivid. I am on the fence and have the quote ready to go. I've held back due to second guessing the tune and catless downpipes. It pisses me off when my buddy (488) and I go riding and his roars while mine just purrs with oem sport exhaust.
Attached Images

RonMathMD and brezelpaul like this.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-16-2017, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Sound is a little nastier than stock while cruising about.

When I hammer the car and the muffler baffles open, the car really screams. Loud and nasty, but nice if that makes any sense.

Zero resonance at any time, thank god. Resonance is a dealbreaker for me.

I am trying to upload a sound clip, but as of now, the file is too large. Need to enlist my teenage daughter to show the old man how to compress and upload a file. Stay tuned!
RonMathMD and brezelpaul like this.

2015 650S spider
2001 550 Maranello
1979 308GTB
post #5 of 5 Old 02-16-2017, 10:26 PM
Sponsors
Sponsor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe650s View Post
Thoughts on sound? Been debating on going catless and adding tune from
Vivid. I am on the fence and have the quote ready to go. I've held back due to second guessing the tune and catless downpipes. It pisses me off when my buddy (488) and I go riding and his roars while mine just purrs with oem sport exhaust.
Just let me know when you are ready! I can always get awesome prices for ML members

Vivid Racing

Email, PM, or call me directly for aggressive MclarenLife member pricing!!!

480.966.3040 ext 246

austin@vividracing.com

-Austin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.