650S Exit & Entry issues - McLaren Life
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-07-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

650S Exit & Entry issues

Considering buying a 650S. Are owners experiencing issues w/ entry / exit in parking lots due to space required for door openings? thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-07-2017, 07:04 PM
McLaren addict driver
InnerCircle

Garage
Well, that depends on how you define " an issue" of course :-)

For sure you need a bit more planning then usual. A bit more space in order not to damage the car. That is a fact.
And sometimes when the door cannot completely open you need to breath in just a tiny bit to get out.
So far in only 16 months I skipped one parking spot because it was too narrow and never had any other issues getting in or out of the car, nor any damage.

In return you get the best ever driving experience and tons of thumbs up from other people.
The door space would not at all be an issue to stand in the way of a 650S.

Good luck with your decision.

I really cannot think of a single reason to justify the portfolio of cars I own! Oh wait, I got one.... it's sooooo much FUN
post #3 of 18 Old 01-07-2017, 08:21 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

My 650S is my daily driver and I have never had any issues with the doors and parking places.
Fred@bigfred.com likes this.

post #4 of 18 Old 01-07-2017, 08:32 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
I agree with Peter, generally speaking, it's not an issue. If you live in a city and have garage parking, the parking folks may want to give you a place off in the corner to yourself.

I had one issue in NYC, I used to have my other cars parked on a lift (that way no one could possibly hit a door against it, but the edges of many lifts are so high, that even if you can get the car on the lift (I barely had an inch on each side when I drove it up on the lift--it's probably easier to land the space shuttle than back into that tight a space), the lift edges on the standard NYC lifts are too high, so you could not open the door (it would bump on the lift lip/edge). The solution was to give me a parking space in the corner away from everyone, which ended up being a better thing all around anyway.
fastmd likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-07-2017, 08:43 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
My 650S is my daily driver and I have never had any issues with the doors and parking places.
Same for me. Actually daily use my 675 LT.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-07-2017, 09:44 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Garage
in ten thousand miles of driving only had one A-hole park to close on the left side. just got in through the right
it is no reason not to buy the car that is for sure. like any 300K car you will be careful where you park it anyways

jaguar XFR , Panoz Esperante JRD , McLaren 650S, RR TD6, BMW 330E Hybrid
post #7 of 18 Old 01-07-2017, 09:49 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

650S Exit & Entry issues

9,200 miles and never an issue. But obviously you park knowing what room you need and sometimes you're going to get out of the car while holding the door not completely open which happens with conventional doors as well.
Rarity likes this.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-07-2017, 10:05 PM

When I park it in my single garage at home its actually easier to get out of than a car with a regular door as u just sit on the CF sill. So IMO in certain situations its actually better
post #9 of 18 Old 01-07-2017, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the positive input. Any idea why
dealers are offering such large discounts on new 650s? I know a new version is coming out but the huge discounts actually worry me as a potential first time McLaren buyer. Happy to save $80k, but, why???

Never happened w/ my Ferraris & Lambos.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-07-2017, 11:13 PM
Former Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSCSF View Post
dealers are offering such large discounts on new 650s? I know a new version is coming out but the huge discounts actually worry me as a potential first time McLaren buyer. Happy to save $80k, but, why???

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/1/7...t-Now-7737195/

2015 Lamborghini LP610-4
2018 Lexus LC500
post #11 of 18 Old 01-08-2017, 06:14 AM

If you get stuck in a tight spot, just open the roof and climb out ;-)
Fred@bigfred.com likes this.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-08-2017, 08:21 AM
J1n

NO issues here at all.. i park away from everyone anyway. Push comes to shove the car will fit 95% of parking spots
post #13 of 18 Old 01-08-2017, 08:27 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSCSF View Post

The aggressive new car pricing normally only concern the "storage" cars (cars which had to be purchased by the dealer in order to meet the quotas).

Now the dealers are confronted with the following fact: in the price segment of a 650S buyer often want their perfect, individual configured car. I give you an example: I had also the possibility to buy a new 650S directly from the showroom with a high discount, but I was not interested. This car did not meet 100% of my expectations. So I got much less discount for my personally specified car, but the car came as I wanted it.

If you have the luck to find a new 650S in a dealers showroom that meets your expectations, buy this car! With these cars nothing is wrong, these are simply sensational offers.

I am not concerned about the depreciation of a 650S, this will be in line with any 458/488 Ferrari, probably even not so bad. The McLaren is simply the better car (significantly more attractive core technology) with significantly less sold units. The used car market will reflect this over the next few years. And when the paradigm shift has taken place (the electrified cars have taken the lead) the demand will definitely increase.
KenU likes this.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-08-2017, 08:33 PM
Loving the McLaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottch View Post
If you get stuck in a tight spot, just open the roof and climb out ;-)
What an idea! I have a Spyder, but can you open the roof without being inside the car? From just the key fob, maybe? (I'm assuming in this scenario that you come up to your car only to see that someone has parked too close and blocked your entry.)

My other car is also a car.

Last edited by Fred@bigfred.com; 01-08-2017 at 08:37 PM.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-08-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred@bigfred.com View Post
What an idea! I have a Spyder, but can you open the roof without being inside the car? From just the key fob, maybe? (I'm assuming in this scenario that you come up to your car only to see that someone has parked too close and blocked your entry.)
ive looked into this with a 12c, and I have seen youtube video of it. never could figure out which module they got.

the company mods4cars makes the module for remote and one touch open of the top for other car companies. not sure if it has one for the McLaren.
also since our cars has a different battery, not sure if it will drain the battery too much also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.