Friend who has a tuned 650... - McLaren Life
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 12-29-2016, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Friend who has a tuned 650...

worst decision he has ever made.. (his words not mine) ruined the car and throws multiple check engine codes. Do your research before you buy ... I will be checking out his car next week but when I spoke to him today he said "dont do it.. absolutely ruined my car.. getting it removed ASAP"

UGH...
J1n likes this.

2015 McLaren 650S Mantis Green
2013 Nissan GTR Black Edition BoostLogic 750X
2012 Audi Q7 SCV6 S-line
2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2007 Audi RS4 APR 1740SC

Last edited by str8blst; 01-16-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-30-2016, 12:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8blst View Post
worst decision he has ever made.. (his words not mine) ruined the car and throws multiple check engine codes. Do your research before you buy ... I will be checking out his car next week but when I spoke to him today he said "dont do it.. absolutely ruined my car.. getting it removed ASAP"

UGH...
Do you know what company re-flashed his ECU and does he have cat bypass pipes added. The tune should not throw check engine codes unless you have cat bypass pipes and if you do the the re-flash can be modified to ignore those O2 sensor faults.
str8blst likes this.

Last edited by Doc MD4-12C; 12-30-2016 at 11:47 PM.
post #3 of 30 Old 12-30-2016, 03:21 AM

In for details
post #4 of 30 Old 12-30-2016, 04:12 AM
Owner

I have heard similar things
str8blst likes this.
post #5 of 30 Old 12-30-2016, 07:19 AM

that it is possible to tune a Mclaren to be better than stock, while remaining as reliable as stock, i have no doubt.

that someone has actually done it, i'm inclined to believe.

but the dearth of real owners reporting here with objectively verifiable data (VBox, timeslips, videos vs other known fast cars, etc) simply says that the Mclaren tuning scene is clearly still in its infancy, and caveat emptor is the order of the day.

Having said that, i really hope that more will step up to the plate and report in with real world results, so the rest of us unwilling to be guinea pigs can finally get off the fence
str8blst likes this.
post #6 of 30 Old 12-31-2016, 02:54 PM
InnerCircle

Garage
Who is the tuner and what did he/she do ? Feel free to PM me and I will ask my guy what can be done.

My tuned 650S had problems unrelated to the tune that certainly were NOT HELPED by tuning but were more related to my ignorance of certain car systems such as the operation of the parking brake and similar basic stuff. Once I went through every system and worked out what I did wrong the car has been a perfectly normal BEAST.

Many cars that are tuned incorrectly and even correctly will throw codes and mess things up... shoot my Porsche has been tuned so many times by me and other people it must think it is an old VAX DEC 10. I have seen ENGINE cylinder failure messages on my Eurodyne software for my Porsche when I was messing with fueling tables and the NLS and 2 step that were just the car spitting the bit... the engine is ok etc

Tell your friend to return the car to the tuner and make sure THEY CLEAR ALL CODES..... On a Porsche or Audi etc one can just buy a Durametric and do this...... on a $300K McLaren it is a bit more involved because of the ECU location and the lack of OBDII solution.
str8blst likes this.

McLaren 650 S - custom exhaust, modded turbos bench tune
Porsche Turbo S - RWD

64 not out forever
post #7 of 30 Old 12-31-2016, 05:35 PM
Track Rat Advocate
InnerCircle
Owner

Garage
I have driven a few modded mclarens- there are only one or two people I would trust to do anything besides an exhaust on these cars.

me: /P1, CGT, 675LT-S, 997RS, 911R /
wife: /PTS 991RS, 350R SUV stuff/
+2 rescue dogs

Dealer Principal- McLaren Scottsdale
Team Owner- CJ Wilson Racing
post #8 of 30 Old 12-31-2016, 09:31 PM

Not worth the gains and possibly having to pay for work that would normally be covered by warranty. Most tunes make them only modestly quicker and you'll need a vbox to even verify it. That's how little the performance gains are.

McLaren's are not fast tuner cars. Money down the drain IMO. Get a Huracan and send it to UG if you want a modded turbo exotic. They'll blow the doors off any modded McLaren and they'll be super reliable with tons of support.

P11 has enough problems even in stock form. You're just asking for headaches by modding it.
HIRISC and hesperus like this.
post #9 of 30 Old 12-31-2016, 10:11 PM
Owner

I will have something to say about that. UR componentry is likely not at the level of the motor I will offer in the future for similar money. Yes, it will not be as fast outright in a drag, but on track, the P11 will dominate like an Le Mans car.
Tuxiemama likes this.
post #10 of 30 Old 01-01-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP4Dream View Post
I will have something to say about that. UR componentry is likely not at the level of the motor I will offer in the future for similar money. Yes, it will not be as fast outright in a drag, but on track, the P11 will dominate like an Le Mans car.
You do realize who does UR's motors, right... They are top of the line level quality.

Any tuner's cars running 2400 whp consistently pass after pass at over 240 mph in a half mile and then driving the car home is impressive
post #11 of 30 Old 01-01-2017, 10:48 AM
kpg

These cars are already too fast for regular roads as is .. why tune them and risk your warranty and stress out every time you floor the car, wondering if the motor or trans will let go? I'm leaving my tune bone stock.
Robin, KenU and Gary(SF) like this.

2016 570S
2002 Pontiac Aztek
1970 AMC Gremlin
2014 Vespa GTS 300 moped
Rollerblades
post #12 of 30 Old 01-01-2017, 02:48 PM
Owner

Because Speed.
My AMS Alpha 7 tune has been reliable for over 8k miles so far. My McLaren tech told me they are aware of what's involved in the AMS map and he said it's relatively safe for the car and the map doesn't push it too hard. All tunes push some of the car's components further to the edge, but as far as the AMS tune goes, there's still a lot left on the table and it's not pushed to the bleeding edge. Having 675LT straight line performance was worth the risk, for me.

2012 MP4-12C Alpha 7 - Fire Black
post #13 of 30 Old 01-01-2017, 08:50 PM
InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
Because Speed.
My AMS Alpha 7 tune has been reliable for over 8k miles so far. My McLaren tech told me they are aware of what's involved in the AMS map and he said it's relatively safe for the car and the map doesn't push it too hard. All tunes push some of the car's components further to the edge, but as far as the AMS tune goes, there's still a lot left on the table and it's not pushed to the bleeding edge. Having 675LT straight line performance was worth the risk, for me.
Does AMS even offer a tune for the 650?

2016 650S Spider - Fire Black/Charcoal - 10.222 @ 138.29 stock!
2016 Cayenne Turbo S - Meteor Grey/Red & Black
2016 Tesla Model X - Silver/Charcoal

Gone -
2016 570S - Onyx Black/Saddle Tan - 10.275 @ 135.21 stock!
2016 Z07 - Shark Grey/Kalahari
2015 991 Turbo - GT Silver/Red & Black
post #14 of 30 Old 01-01-2017, 11:49 PM
Owner

there are some good documented gains tuning the 12C, but I haven't seen much for the 650S, when I got the 650S AMS said there wasn't much to do so I left mine stock.

and any car running 2400HP will have issues....

2015 McLaren 650S Spider - 10.3 @ 137.4 MPH
2016 Lamborghini Huracan - 10.5 @ 131 MPH
2008 Ferrari F430 Spider
2005 Ford GT Heffner GT700
2016 Tesla Model S P100D - 10.7 @ 123 MPH
2016 Tesla Model X P90D
post #15 of 30 Old 01-02-2017, 07:51 PM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
that it is possible to tune a Mclaren to be better than stock, while remaining as reliable as stock, i have no doubt.

that someone has actually done it, i'm inclined to believe.

but the dearth of real owners reporting here with objectively verifiable data (VBox, timeslips, videos vs other known fast cars, etc) simply says that the Mclaren tuning scene is clearly still in its infancy, and caveat emptor is the order of the day.

Having said that, i really hope that more will step up to the plate and report in with real world results, so the rest of us unwilling to be guinea pigs can finally get off the fence
We have done work on 570, 675 and 650 at this point and have multiple vehicles running tunes, our cat deletes and ultra high temp sport cats with great results and with excellent drive-ability. Our 570S package outran a 650S by 10MPH in the standing mile, and beat the 675LT by 2MPH.

I think there are also a few other vendors who have demonstrated similar gains and who also have a good track record for reliability.

However, you definitely need to consider very carefully where you choose to go for your mods, both on supply and on install and do your research before you shop.

Stuart Dickinson
Managing Director

Office: (1)236-422-3341 Mobile: (1)-250-460-1775
www.velocityap.com E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
Performance Tuning & Exhaust Manufacturers for the World's Finest Cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.