Friend who has a tuned 650... - Page 2 - McLaren Life
 32Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 30 Old 01-02-2017, 09:09 PM
Owner
 
fiksegts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 590
let's see some side by side videos.... or race my stock 650S at PBIR....

2015 McLaren 650S Spider - 10.3 @ 137.4 MPH
2016 Lamborghini Huracan - 10.5 @ 131 MPH
2008 Ferrari F430 Spider
2005 Ford GT Heffner GT700
2016 Tesla Model S P100D - 10.7 @ 123 MPH
2016 Tesla Model X P90D
fiksegts is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 30 Old 01-02-2017, 10:28 PM
Sponsor
Sponsor
 
Stuart@VelocityAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiksegts View Post
let's see some side by side videos.... or race my stock 650S at PBIR....
I'm sure that could be arranged. I know at Cape Canaveral they were unable to run cars side by side. May be to do with insurance & liability reasons. However the whole thing was timed officially by the IMRA so it's pretty accurate.

I agree though it would be good to see. Email me at Stuart@VelocityAP.com and we can chat. There is another event coming up end of Feb, and the 570 is local to WPB so it's eminently possible to figure out a head to head.
renaissance.man and hesperus like this.

Stuart Dickinson
Managing Director

Office: (1)236-422-3341 Mobile: (1)-250-460-1775
www.velocityap.com E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
Performance Tuning & Exhaust Manufacturers for the World's Finest Cars
Stuart@VelocityAP is offline  
post #18 of 30 Old 01-03-2017, 01:56 AM
Owner
 
fiksegts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 590
I have the PBIR drag strip all day on Jan 22nd, will send you an email...

thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP View Post
I'm sure that could be arranged. I know at Cape Canaveral they were unable to run cars side by side. May be to do with insurance & liability reasons. However the whole thing was timed officially by the IMRA so it's pretty accurate.

I agree though it would be good to see. Email me at Stuart@VelocityAP.com and we can chat. There is another event coming up end of Feb, and the 570 is local to WPB so it's eminently possible to figure out a head to head.

2015 McLaren 650S Spider - 10.3 @ 137.4 MPH
2016 Lamborghini Huracan - 10.5 @ 131 MPH
2008 Ferrari F430 Spider
2005 Ford GT Heffner GT700
2016 Tesla Model S P100D - 10.7 @ 123 MPH
2016 Tesla Model X P90D
fiksegts is offline  
post #19 of 30 Old 01-03-2017, 06:57 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor
 
Stuart@VelocityAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiksegts View Post
I have the PBIR drag strip all day on Jan 22nd, will send you an email...

thanks!
Sounds good.

Stuart Dickinson
Managing Director

Office: (1)236-422-3341 Mobile: (1)-250-460-1775
www.velocityap.com E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
Performance Tuning & Exhaust Manufacturers for the World's Finest Cars
Stuart@VelocityAP is offline  
post #20 of 30 Old 01-07-2017, 07:59 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 75
Garage
Did we ever find out who tuned this car?
Doc MD4-12C is offline  
post #21 of 30 Old 01-07-2017, 08:03 PM
 
Thad@HCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8blst View Post
worst decision he has ever made.. (his words not mine) ruined the car and throws multiple check engine codes. Do your research before you buy ... I will be checking out his car next week but when I spoke to him today he said "dont do it.. absolutely ruined my car.. getting it removed ASAP"

UGH...

I really hate to hear this. The 650S strategy is a bit different than that of a 12C. If we can help with questions tell your friend to feel free to reach out to us.
str8blst likes this.

Thanks,
Thad

HyperCar Development
www.hyperfastcars.com
844.HYPER.10

Official Partners:
LUCAS OIL
www.lucasoil.com

MICHELIN
www.michelinman.com
Thad@HCD is offline  
post #22 of 30 Old 01-07-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
 
str8blst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc MD4-12C View Post
Did we ever find out who tuned this car?
.....

2015 McLaren 650S Mantis Green
2013 Nissan GTR Black Edition BoostLogic 750X
2012 Audi Q7 SCV6 S-line
2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2007 Audi RS4 APR 1740SC

Last edited by str8blst; 01-19-2017 at 03:13 PM.
str8blst is online now  
post #23 of 30 Old 01-07-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
 
str8blst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad@HCD View Post
I really hate to hear this. The 650S strategy is a bit different than that of a 12C. If we can help with questions tell your friend to feel free to reach out to us.
I'll let him know. He is taking the tune out and if I can check it out before he does will let you know what I find.

2015 McLaren 650S Mantis Green
2013 Nissan GTR Black Edition BoostLogic 750X
2012 Audi Q7 SCV6 S-line
2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2007 Audi RS4 APR 1740SC
str8blst is online now  
post #24 of 30 Old 01-07-2017, 09:09 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiksegts View Post
there are some good documented gains tuning the 12C, but I haven't seen much for the 650S, when I got the 650S AMS said there wasn't much to do so I left mine stock.

and any car running 2400HP will have issues....
I think they've only had 5 failures in the past 7 years, all turbo failures. In 2016, I cannot recall a single failure they had at an event, and that is like over 15 different cars at 2200+ wheel horsepower each doing multiple passes. Heck, Seafish drove his home in the rain after pulling on a 2200 whp GT-R.

Dustin Hawks drove his for thousands of miles doing hard pulls every other day in all kinds of weather conditions at the 1900 whp level.

Now that they have a billet block, 2600+ whp will be easy and reliable. A streetable low 7 second over 200 mph trap car with air conditioning, radio, and full interior
TougeSpirit is offline  
post #25 of 30 Old 01-07-2017, 11:56 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: San Jose
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeSpirit View Post
I think they've only had 5 failures in the past 7 years, all turbo failures. In 2016, I cannot recall a single failure they had at an event, and that is like over 15 different cars at 2200+ wheel horsepower each doing multiple passes. Heck, Seafish drove his home in the rain after pulling on a 2200 whp GT-R.

Dustin Hawks drove his for thousands of miles doing hard pulls every other day in all kinds of weather conditions at the 1900 whp level.

Now that they have a billet block, 2600+ whp will be easy and reliable. A streetable low 7 second over 200 mph trap car with air conditioning, radio, and full interior
I've heard the "super reliable" modded car story a lot before, and my experience has always been that modded cars are not reliable, no matter what the internet tells you .

But maybe Audi/Lambo will buy out UGR and start making Gallardos again. I'll be first in line if it comes with a warranty!
Iron5 likes this.
jmc5 is online now  
post #26 of 30 Old 01-08-2017, 01:37 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1
indeed, what you see posted online and what happens behind the scenes very different, just look at how many UGR cars come up for sale with "refreshed" engines... the engine has issues, they get a 'good' deal on a rebuild if they keep quite, then the car comes up for sale...



Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc5 View Post
I've heard the "super reliable" modded car story a lot before, and my experience has always been that modded cars are not reliable, no matter what the internet tells you .

But maybe Audi/Lambo will buy out UGR and start making Gallardos again. I'll be first in line if it comes with a warranty!
Tuxiemama likes this.
FastMMA is offline  
post #27 of 30 Old 01-08-2017, 05:16 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 10
I had two cars done by UGR and didn't have hardly any issues. At that time, we were pressing the limits of the platform and you expect breakage/weak points when doing something for the first time. Anyone that thinks 2k hp is going to be maintenance free, is out of their minds. That doesn't happen in fully dedicated race cars, why would you expect it in this application? I daily drove both cars, A LOT. I had 2 ECU's go bad, then upgraded to a Motec and all was fine. I never had a motor failure.

You can do 1k applications all day long and never run into a problem. I find most problems on modified builds, is the customer trying to be cheap. A lot of people can finance cars, coming 100k out of pocket to build a big monster can be a bit different. Lots of wanna be ballers out there. Anyone pushing the limits of any platform, should have an expectation of breakage.
Tuxiemama and hesperus like this.

Last edited by 1fast400; 01-08-2017 at 05:21 PM.
1fast400 is offline  
post #28 of 30 Old 01-09-2017, 08:20 PM
Sponsor
Sponsor
 
Stuart@VelocityAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast400 View Post
I had two cars done by UGR and didn't have hardly any issues. At that time, we were pressing the limits of the platform and you expect breakage/weak points when doing something for the first time. Anyone that thinks 2k hp is going to be maintenance free, is out of their minds. That doesn't happen in fully dedicated race cars, why would you expect it in this application? I daily drove both cars, A LOT. I had 2 ECU's go bad, then upgraded to a Motec and all was fine. I never had a motor failure.

You can do 1k applications all day long and never run into a problem. I find most problems on modified builds, is the customer trying to be cheap. A lot of people can finance cars, coming 100k out of pocket to build a big monster can be a bit different. Lots of wanna be ballers out there. Anyone pushing the limits of any platform, should have an expectation of breakage.
I think this is a great point and it also touches on something I was going to respond to a previous poster - it depends on the definition of 'modified.' In the case of McLaren for example, there's really no reason that you can't put a good tune & some sport cats or deletes on the car and expect good reliability and driveability. Even a mild turbo upgrade could be well integrated.

But you start getting to 1000WHP, and even more so at 2000WHP, much more invasive mods and then your definition of 'reliable' has got to be accurate relative to that level of modification.

Stuart Dickinson
Managing Director

Office: (1)236-422-3341 Mobile: (1)-250-460-1775
www.velocityap.com E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
Performance Tuning & Exhaust Manufacturers for the World's Finest Cars
Stuart@VelocityAP is offline  
post #29 of 30 Old 01-13-2017, 02:41 AM
 
ColdList's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiksegts View Post
let's see some side by side videos.... or race my stock 650S at PBIR....
I have owned (1) 12C Spider, (2) 650 Spiders (one I just bought back from the dealer recently after selling it a year ago), (1) 675LT Coupe and (1) 570S. Here is order of performance measured by sheer experience, thrill and well some high speed racing against others that we shouldn't discuss ;-)

1. 2015 650S Spider (current) - tuned by VelocityAP and Velocity AP Sport cats. Stock Sport exhaust.
2. 570S Coupe - tuned by VelocityAP and Velocity AP Sport cats. Stock Sport exhaust.
3. 675LT Coupe
4. 650S Spider - Stock
5. 12C Spider - Stock

VelocityAP tune is not only very stable but also very smart. The cars increase power/tq incrementally so there is no disruption in the driving characteristics, you don't get uncontrollable wheel spin and up top the curve is MUCH flatter than the stock curve that drops off dramatically. I could not be more pleased with the responsiveness and personal attention that I get from Stuart as well. Tuning a car is a very personal thing and he makes sure that you are happy with every aspect of the car's performance and driveability. I have not one worry about reliability and/or performance being too much for the car. It's incredibly stable. I am not a track guy but I do runs regularly with fellow MAC drivers and I can tell you that my VelocityAP cars smoke the stock MACs of the same model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP View Post
I'm sure that could be arranged. I know at Cape Canaveral they were unable to run cars side by side. May be to do with insurance & liability reasons. However the whole thing was timed officially by the IMRA so it's pretty accurate.

I agree though it would be good to see. Email me at Stuart@VelocityAP.com and we can chat. There is another event coming up end of Feb, and the 570 is local to WPB so it's eminently possible to figure out a head to head.
I can tell you that the pull I get from the 650S is just like that of my 675LT only a bit wilder (in a good way). The car just gets right on the edge of spinning the tires and just plants you in the seat. Love it Stuart! After that 570S tune I knew we had to do this one!
Tuxiemama likes this.

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette C7 Z07 - Arctic White
2013 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic

Last edited by ColdList; 01-13-2017 at 02:46 AM.
ColdList is offline  
post #30 of 30 Old 01-16-2017, 03:51 PM
 
crystal_imprezav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 19
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
I have owned (1) 12C Spider, (2) 650 Spiders (one I just bought back from the dealer recently after selling it a year ago), (1) 675LT Coupe and (1) 570S. Here is order of performance measured by sheer experience, thrill and well some high speed racing against others that we shouldn't discuss ;-)

1. 2015 650S Spider (current) - tuned by VelocityAP and Velocity AP Sport cats. Stock Sport exhaust.
2. 570S Coupe - tuned by VelocityAP and Velocity AP Sport cats. Stock Sport exhaust.
3. 675LT Coupe
4. 650S Spider - Stock
5. 12C Spider - Stock

VelocityAP tune is not only very stable but also very smart. The cars increase power/tq incrementally so there is no disruption in the driving characteristics, you don't get uncontrollable wheel spin and up top the curve is MUCH flatter than the stock curve that drops off dramatically. I could not be more pleased with the responsiveness and personal attention that I get from Stuart as well. Tuning a car is a very personal thing and he makes sure that you are happy with every aspect of the car's performance and driveability. I have not one worry about reliability and/or performance being too much for the car. It's incredibly stable. I am not a track guy but I do runs regularly with fellow MAC drivers and I can tell you that my VelocityAP cars smoke the stock MACs of the same model.



I can tell you that the pull I get from the 650S is just like that of my 675LT only a bit wilder (in a good way). The car just gets right on the edge of spinning the tires and just plants you in the seat. Love it Stuart! After that 570S tune I knew we had to do this one!
Do you have a dyno from the baseline and tune?
crystal_imprezav is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome