McLaren Life banner

How would you handle this?

11K views 63 replies 29 participants last post by  fasferrari 
#1 ·
Thanks to the help of forum members, I finally pulled the trigger and took delivery of a new 650S a little over a month ago. Unfortunately, ownership has not been as smooth as I was hoping for as the car has already been to the local dealer twice for warranty issues.
Nevertheless, on this last visit, the car went in with 260 miles on it and came back to me with 380. When I called to question this, the service director could not provide any reasonable explaination for why the dealership needed to put 120 miles on the car and admitted it was unacceptable. He apologized excessively and asked what he could do to make it right.
I realize in the grand scheme of things 120 miles is probably a trivial matter. However, on a brand new car, it just feels wrong. Any thoughts?

#37 ·
Yah ZP, I don't think anyone is questioning that there was wrong doing, nor was I by any means. I'm saying if your premise for fault is because you are worried about them destroying the break in of your car, that is not what I personally would be concerned with.

The dealer behavior, trust, relationship on the other hand is completely smashed and they should absolutely do something to make it right. Is it $4,000-8,000 of warranty extension? I'd say that's a stretch. If that was acceptable/realistic, I would hope every time I take my car for service my dealer would drive my car 120 miles without my consent to get 2 years of warranty extension, because damaging the car is the least of my worries in this situation. I'd be far more concerned with the relationship, trust, future service needs, and where the next dealer is physically located to know what my overall impact is for brand support if I choose to take my business somewhere else because that has a hard cost associated to it, and a time cost associated to it.

Now that said, there's obviously an emotional attachment to the problem as well, rightfully so... I just question if your expectation of thousands of dollars worth of "make right" is realistic, I don't think it is personally, but that's my opinion. The value/weight of this to me is in the hundreds of dollars range, not thousands of dollars range.

As for the comments about comparing this to borrowing a wife/girlfriend, that's so far out of the realm of comparison it's ridiculous. I'm one of the most passionate car owners you'll meet, I know every inch of my cars, when something is/isn't right, so I can relate to the emotional side, but at the end of the day it is just a material possession (or in some cases an investment for those of you that buy for financial gains), but it's far from comparison to a wife/girlfriend analogy.

#38 ·
...As for the comments about comparing this to borrowing a wife/girlfriend, that's so far out of the realm of comparison it's ridiculous. I'm one of the most passionate car owners you'll meet, I know every inch of my cars, when something is/isn't right, so I can relate to the emotional side, but at the end of the day it is just a material possession (or in some cases an investment for those of you that buy for financial gains), but it's far from comparison to a wife/girlfriend analogy.
Well I think where disagree is on what is the 'cost' of impropriety. Meaning, if someone trespasses on your lawn, meh. If someone trespasses into your home. No damage or anything, just wanders in?

If someone has sex with their gf in your bed? Maybe they wash the sheets after? If you're being objective, no damage right.

If someone takes your kid's teddy bear and returns it. No damage.

That is why the criminal law doesnt care about 'damage' for tresspass or theft. It's illegal regardless of harm. Now you can sue for civil damages, and perhaps you get very little back because in theory, no damage is done. But in reality, there is a fair shot that teddy bear and those sheets will be thrown out by your wife. Why, when no damage? Well because it was a violation. Again, the criminal law recognizes this. There is no right to this. It doesnt matter if there was damage or not, the victim is to have recourse for the wrong itself.

For me it's a question of degree. On the lawn, meh. A family member's teddy bear, I'm pretty much fuming. For me this would fall somewhere in between, and would depend on what comes up on the ECU report, and how well/bad the dealer and mclaren corporate handle/react to it.

I appreciate your level headed view of it and think it's entirely reasonable. That said, I think we can agree that fair minded folks can reasonably have very different reactions to this.

#39 ·
In the past I've had dealers tell me they have taken the car out to test for various issues which involved driving a few miles. I believe the OP said that the dealer principal or manager admitted that the car was taken without consent and offered a free detail(potentially a couple of thousand $£). Despite the potential cost of this detail I think it's the wrong type of offer as it doesn't address the concerns of the owner for likely damage to the engine. I know Flash and ZP have mentioned that it's unlikely the engine is damaged but if the car has only got delivery miles on it and is not treated sympathetically, there is possible damage as the various bits are still bedding in. Obviously the engine isn't going to explode immediately but this is a long term issue which could affect the reliability of the engine later in its life.

Compensation wise this has to be taken into account to allay these fears of future problems because it's not only the emotional side of having your property violated but also possible unseen damage. 9f the car had come back with the bumper knocked off, the least the dealer would do is replace the bumper. Wouldn't this apply equally to the engine except for the issue is you can't see it so easily

#44 ·
Here is another idea on how to handle it:

Say to the offending dealer:

Listen there are bad apples everywhere and I understand your employee did something very wrong. You probably had controls in place--but clearly they were not good enough in this instance as the employee spent several hours in my car. I have suggested (or) I am not sure what the right thing to do is to make up for this--however we should come up with something that does "make this right" because while I have posted in the forums about this problem--I would also like to post about the solution as well to be fair. People in the forum are the most part reasonable, so what I am going to do is to also post what you did to make up for this so others have the complete story and are able to judge fairly. I think this is an opportunity to show what a quality business you are running. Everyone makes mistakes--it is how you make up for them that count.

#50 ·
When your car is left for service take the mileage down and let the dealer know you have the mileage-- even take a picture of your odometer with your smartphone. Also make sure when you leave your car is in the normal settings when you leave it for service. When you pick up your car and it is set to race, you have a good clue that the dealer has breached it's fiduciary duty to you.
The dealer who came to the defense of the offending dealer sounds like he himself is the one who takes the super cars for the unacceptable rides.
There is no excuse for any dealer allowing its employees to take a joy ride in a customers car-- or using your car for a demonstration ride.
If it happened to me, when I picked up the car and noticed the additional 120 miles I would not take my car and demand a new car. I would also get the commuter printout to see if the break-in requirements were violated.
I am reminded of the dealer whose mechanic wrecked an ENZO while taking a fellow employee on a ride to show his co-worker what the car "could do". The owner demanded and received compensation for the then value of the ENZO.

#51 ·
As has already been stated, if this was not an officially sanctioned test drive required by the service or updates performed, your car was stolen. Simply offering to detail the car is an attempt to diminish the event. They have raped your car, and now will let it shower before they return it to you, how thoughtful!

My guess is someone took the car home for the evening or weekend, and there may or may not have been spirited driving. Regardless, this is completely unacceptable. This was not a dealer owned unit, and should not have been treated as such.

I would not consider a warranty extension at all out of reason, and I would also insist on seeing what the ECU reveals. They may be buying the car back.

#52 ·
For those of you interested, I just wanted to post an update. Unfortunatley, it does not appear this will be resolved to my satisfaction. Couple of points...
1. Corporate McClaren was of little help. Was finally able to speak to the east coast representitve, Sean Lee and although apologetic had nothing to offer.
2. After speaking to corporate and service personnel at 2 dealerships, the ECU apparently cannot be interrogated. I was told it does not store any engine data other than in an accident with airbag deployment.
So, since it appeared I was not going to be able to confirm how the car was driven with actual engine data I asked the dealership for a warranty extension. I suspect it wasn't driven a very easy 120 miles as the car went to the dealer with 3/4 tank of gas and was returned to me on empty (literally, the low fuel warning was lit). They declined. Rather, as compensation, they offered to cover the cost of transport for service for the next 2 years and would detail the car when there for free.
Needless to say, thanks to McClaren Tampa Bay (Dimmit) my McClaren experience has been a huge disappointment. Though I am in love with the car, I am having a hard time getting past the complete loss of trust from a dealer of such an exclusive and expensive brand. Unfortunatley, due to the small dealer network, the vast majority of us owners have no choice when it comes chosing an aftersales provider. I am left thinking I should have paid more attention to this before making the move to this brand. But honestly, I never thought I would be in a situation like this.
Nevertheless, I again wanted to express my sincere gratitude to this forum community. Your input and support has been much appreciated.

#55 ·
To be fair, this is the first (and hopefully last) incidence we've heard of such a thing. And I do have some sympathy for the dealer in that I'm pretty sure they dont allow for such things and a single bad egg can 'go random' on them. I am surprised that they wouldn't make this right with you if all it took was a simple warranty extension. Very weird and shortsighted; it was such an easy opportunity to make things good between you and them. I do not, for the life of me, understand why mclaren and the dealers treat these warranty extensions as if they are giving up the hope diamond and are regularly so resistive against them. It's baffling to me.

Well, if it were me, after giving fair chance to this (and I think you did), I think I might call the authorities and report theft of the car. And demand a refund/return of the car. Then proceed to civil action. If you were super nice, you could inform the dealer of your plans to do so and give them one more chance to be reasonable. Then again, maybe it's all too much hassle for something that is supposed to be pure enjoyment, it would become pure headache.

UG so sorry to hear it man, just the pits.

#56 ·
I am extra disappointed to hear it was McLaren Tampa (Dimmitt) as they are the nearest dealer to me too. I am a bit shocked why in the internet age, they have not made a greater effort, or any effort, to right what sounds pretty egregious to me.

#57 ·
Yeah; i'm surprised they didn't make it right when they know they can get ripped on-line.

Anytime something could go legal or about to go legal then they become very careful in how and what they start communicating.

I'm sure they have taken care of it internally (i know someone who works there but he is actually clueless to this ongoing issue).

My experience is that just about all the exotic or high end dealers go out of there way to make things "right" for the customer. Let's see how this plays out.

#60 ·
Sometimes a letter from your attorney will do wonders to get them to step up and do the right thing. It doesn't have to threaten legal action but simply to make another request on your behalf to grant you the warranty extension. Maybe when they see the letter from an attorney it'll make them squirm and know you are serious and force them to take action to remedy the situation.

#64 ·
I purchased a new McLaren from Dimmitt last year. I found them to be a first rate dealer.
Matt Jones handled the sale to me and he was great. He kept me informed of all stages of the sale from manufacture to delivery. The car was delivered to me with minimum Millage.
Unfortunately there is an employee who slips through the cracks-- and the "snake" does something like happened here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.