Exotic car owner mentality - McLaren Life
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 02-17-2017, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Exotic car owner mentality

Not trying to get flamed or start something here, just curious as I must be missing something when it comes to buying an exotic. Later this year I will get into an exotic (570S or GT) so I've been watching the market and pretty much all of the vehicles listed have less then 3K miles on them. Why are there so many with low miles?? Are people worried about depreciation that much that they buy new, drive for a couple of months and then sell or is there another reason?? I look forward to hitting the back roads and enjoy the car, drive it as much as possible. I noticed Ari's beautiful red 570S is listed, he put allot of mods into that car and now it's up for sale with under 3k miles on the clock.......very curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-17-2017, 11:28 AM

Garage
Not generally speaking but my observation is
- some owners work very hard and and long hours which not always leaves enough time for pleasure
- these cars many times are third, fourth or n-th cars in the stable
- in many areas of the word there is a 4-6 month winter season which basically forbids driving these cars
i don't think depreciation is a big factor for most folks...
disclosure: all these apply to me at least
Craigy, Luciddream and petrobalkan like this.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-17-2017, 12:51 PM

As much as people say it's a DD, for most it's not. It's a 2-3rd car that doesn't get used much. Also many don't keep exotics long, because something else shiny captures their attention. My last Lambo and 458 I put fewer than 1500 miles on and was on to the next flavor.

Also, I think some have grand visions before buying, then realize it's not for them and sell.

If you want to see high(er) mileage cars look for a 911 Turbo. Very boring car (looks wise), but people use them as DD.

My .02

post #4 of 23 Old 02-17-2017, 03:11 PM

I personally tend to keep my cars (just keep adding garage space). I think there are a bunch of reasons. I have some friends who like to drive whatever is newest. They buy the hottest car on a one year lease and flip it. They are fortunate as their financial situation makes this a rounding error. I think this is one explanation for short initial ownership.
post #5 of 23 Old 02-17-2017, 03:18 PM
Owner

Garage
I have my 570S clocking in at 1 year now. I have 6k miles on my odometer. I thought I was going to be able to do a lot more but I simply couldn't.

In my opinion, the 570S is still too flamboyant to be a daily driver. The only time I disallow myself to drive the car is to work, I don't want my customers to see me in this car. Other than that, I made an effort to drive it, I am proud to say my 570S has never seen the car cover or the trickle charger. I will drive it even if I know parking conditions are questionable.

2016 570S Coupe
post #6 of 23 Old 02-17-2017, 03:42 PM

I use my car a lot for longer trips. That adds up miles pretty quickly. 600-800mi a weekend.
Driving quickly every now and then on the local twisty roads just doesn't add many miles.

my friend on the otherhand, cant drive his car to work due to poor parking and doesn't want others to know about his car and does kid activities on the weekend
so he never takes his car out.

I figure many people who buy don't have the time to put on many miles.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-17-2017, 04:06 PM

Garage
Most people have cars like this as their 2nd, 3rd etc. and have some sort of more mundane vehicle for daily driver use. While the 570S copes with commute traffic better than my Vantage did, my Lexus four wheel drive easy chair (RX350) is just more comfortable/relaxing for crawling along in heavy traffic and for grocery runs. There are also lots of situations where I need seating for more than two people...

That said, I have put as many miles on my 570S in four months as I did on the Aston in 18 months.
Mjet507 likes this.
post #8 of 23 Old 02-17-2017, 08:50 PM
nh4

Garage
Between April and December I put about 6000 miles on my 570. I live in New Hampshire though, so since about the end of December I've only managed about 500 miles or so. Once the weather gets better I will be getting back to the business of driving the thing. I do drive it to work, though it was something of a mental back and forth deciding on whether that was a good idea or not.

-Jamie.

“I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac
post #9 of 23 Old 02-18-2017, 07:52 AM
CPB

For me it's winter weather constraints, although I am driving it whenever the roads are clear. The other reason is there are a few cars in the garage and I drive them all, so time is split amongst them.
post #10 of 23 Old 02-18-2017, 11:41 AM
Owner

Strange for me is I've put more miles on my (used) 12C in two years then I put on the last four Ferraris :0
Go figure.
post #11 of 23 Old 02-18-2017, 02:55 PM
MBG
Owner

Weather stinks, I'm busy, I have more than 1 supercar, and I get driven around by other people a lot. Oh and the weather sucks

Stay in school kids!

2012 McLaren MP4-12C, Standard Blue, HRE S204 (color matched)
2015 Lamborghini Huracan 610-4, Bianco Icarus / Nero Ade / Rosso Alala, FI Exhaust
2016 Infiniti QX80, a.k.a. "Tankamus" - will run over the McL or Lambo
Instagram: MBGCars
post #12 of 23 Old 02-18-2017, 05:49 PM

I have covered 1550 miles in mine since I collected it on 3/1/17. Tomorrow I will add about 130 miles, as the Supercar club (which I am a member) have a breakfast drive.

I can,t stay out of it. My 458 is getting no use whatsoever.

Don't want to put monster miles on it but it is an addictive drive
Patricko likes this.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-18-2017, 08:49 PM
Owner

When I bought my 12C, it was two years old with 5000 miles on the clock. I'll hit 50K miles in the next week or two.
Patricko, nh4 and J1n like this.

Daily drivers:
1994 NSX - Brooklands Green with 300K+ miles
2012 12C - Racing Green with fewer miles (but still 3rd-highest USA, 13th-highest worldwide)
post #14 of 23 Old 02-19-2017, 12:15 AM
Owner

FF,
You do not count! You're too busy out driving
post #15 of 23 Old 02-19-2017, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8Man View Post
I have covered 1550 miles in mine since I collected it on 3/1/17. Tomorrow I will add about 130 miles, as the Supercar club (which I am a member) have a breakfast drive.

I can,t stay out of it. My 458 is getting no use whatsoever.

Don't want to put monster miles on it but it is an addictive drive

Dang. You traveled to the future!!!

Last edited by jshgldstn; 02-19-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.