Winter driving - McLaren Life
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By slumdog

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-15-2017, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Winter driving

I live in Chicago and am thinking about a 570s. I own several cars that I park for the Winter due to the cold weather (performance tires get hard and crack in extreme cold) and salt (typically the roads are covered with salt from December to March). I am thinking about whether I can use the 570s year round. This would mean purchasing dedicated winter tires and exposing the car to lots of salt dust (on dry days, driving down a paved side road can look like a dusty country road due to all the salt dust that is kicked up). Anyone doing this? How is it going? Other thoughts? Not worried about depreciation, I would buy the car to drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-15-2017, 06:58 PM

I'm in the UK, we've not had a bad winter, probably nothing like Chicago! We've had lots of rain though, a little snow, nothing that's made me think it should stay in the garage. Temperatures have been down to -2c, although mostly 0c late in the evening or first thing, so lots of 'freezing' warning signs! I'm on the standard tyres, no issues although I'm not pushing the car in these conditions. Demisting's very efficient as is the climate control, the car heats up nicely, I've got the heated seats too for that little extra added comfort. In short it's proving to be a great daily drive, it's sitting there, eager to go, haven't had any reasons not to use it yet.

Last edited by Dash; 02-15-2017 at 07:01 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-16-2017, 02:31 AM

All year round? No way. I am in nj. No super car is all year round. Salt is awful. Get a Porsche which is my year round car plus a Range Rover on some days.

Current stable:
2016 McLaren 570s
2016 Range Rover (Fuji white, black roof)
2016 Porsche Panamera 4S
Others

Past cars
'12 MP4-12C Stealth Package - gone but will be missed
Endless Porsche 911s, Ferraris etc....

post #4 of 8 Old 02-16-2017, 08:48 AM

Garage
Same here in Germany. We have plenty of salt on the roads Nov til March. Would kill the nice 570.
Also if they catch us with summer tires unter 7°C we risk a fine.
Conditions are just not right for a super car.
As spourreza says, probably better get a winter driver (I drive a 4matic AMG) and keep the 570 pristine and safe for nicer days...
post #5 of 8 Old 02-16-2017, 04:28 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

When the roads are salty the car stays at home... but when it's not salty here I have been driving the 12C on Sottozeroes down to -5 Celsius or thereabouts. It's fine if you respect the throttle pedal and don't deploy all the torque at the same time!

The turbos love cold air...
Christine Fritsch likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-17-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Thoughts

Thanks for the replies. I have my wife's Porsche and an Audi S4 to drive in the winter. I have some cars now that I don't drive in the winter (generally older and can't be replaced). I appreciate the desire to keep the cars pristine (I take exceptional care of my cars and the older cars almost never even see rain) but am thinking the 570s will not be collectible. Would be nice to drive year round v staring at t for 5 months a year. My concern is finding Winter tires and the impact of salt on electronics and metal components over maybe 10+ years. I can hand wash it in my garage and would not drive it during active snowfall on purpose. It would see some slush (melting snow) and lots of salt dust if I go this route. Impossible to keep a car clean here in the winter (unless mild like this year).
post #7 of 8 Old 02-17-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howl View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have my wife's Porsche and an Audi S4 to drive in the winter. I have some cars now that I don't drive in the winter (generally older and can't be replaced). I appreciate the desire to keep the cars pristine (I take exceptional care of my cars and the older cars almost never even see rain) but am thinking the 570s will not be collectible. Would be nice to drive year round v staring at t for 5 months a year. My concern is finding Winter tires and the impact of salt on electronics and metal components over maybe 10+ years. I can hand wash it in my garage and would not drive it during active snowfall on purpose. It would see some slush (melting snow) and lots of salt dust if I go this route. Impossible to keep a car clean here in the winter (unless mild like this year).
Think you better buy a pick-up truck and call it a day.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-17-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks sportscarlover, dash spoureza and slum dog. Helpful thoughts. gttx, as mentioned above, I have winter drivers (two cars mentioned plus an SUV). Question are, can one get Winter rubber? expect any issues with the salt? Has anyone done this? Unlike my Ferraris which are appreciating, the 570s is a car that will depreciate. I plan to take great care of it but at the end of the day, while very special, it is a car that is meant to be driven and enjoyed.
No doubt with the right tires, it can handle the cold. Depending on construction technique and quality of metal (used in engine, connectors etc) not sure if it is up to the salt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.