For all McLaren owners...question on reliability - Page 2 - McLaren Life
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 32 Old 04-19-2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ara_LA View Post
Much better than the sport exhaust IMO.
I'm looking forward to hearing that difference. You didn't have the sports exhaust prior to the mod so the difference from stock is certainly more pronounced and exciting!

What I'd like to hear is the same mic/car in a fixed position (with decibel meter in the video at a same fixed position as mic on tripod) running through the same rev range pattern for:
- stock
- stock sport
- Fabspeed, Akropovic, Armynix, ....

I saw a video that did a before and after which I can't locate. Not sure if it was Fabspeed, but the *identical position* A/B test spliced together really helps make decisions regarding sound much easier.

Having previously had Eisenmann Meisterschaft with race cats on a v10 m6 which sounded sublime and Swytzer 700 package with headers and 200 cel cats on a 997TT which sounded like a dud, making sound choices on the internet is really tricky.

OT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 Old 04-19-2016, 12:34 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Garage
I posted a couple of before/after videos in the Fabspeed thread. Also in the 570S mod thread.

-Ara

2016 VR 570S
2008 GT3 RS
post #18 of 32 Old 04-19-2016, 12:35 AM
nh4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutsuki View Post
I'm at 1 month in and almost 2000 miles.
Wow. I'm at 450-ish after a week and a day or two... I need to go for another long drive to keep up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluebruin View Post

Did most of your purchase or lease the vehicle?
I bought. I plan on way too many miles. If I did a lease it would end with me being out a kidney.

Quote:
Do you notice any turbo lag during manual shifts?
There's a bit in first gear. I only really notice it when I'm turning out into traffic. Some of that is likely due to me still being in my learning curve on the car and not wanting to punch it only to end up in some shrubbery on the far side of the road.

Quote:
Do any of you have the sport exhaust?
No, I don't. I don't really feel the car needs to be any louder. That said, the added turbo noises on Ara's Fabspeed setup sound great!

-Jamie.

“I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac

post #19 of 32 Old 04-19-2016, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone1 View Post
OP, how far is the closest dealer?
My closest dealer is Newport Beach. I have my test drive coming up next week which I'm looking forward to.

It's been a long time coming making the jump to McLaren. A colleague has a 12C that he likes and the styling of the 570S is pretty awesome. I don't think there are too many cars in this price range that are this stunning.

I bring up reliability only because I don't want the car to spend most of the time in the dealership. I'm always wary about these supercars but it's tough to resist the 570 ?

I'm hoping the car does me right in 3 years so I can outright buy the thing.

I will admit that the ordering process is pretty overwhelming. More choices to go over. I wish the dealership had some MSO colors to review but they only have the standard palette.

Ara - you mentioned you leased it but you modified the exhaust. Looking forward to seeing your video. I'm guessing you're keeping the car given the mod you made.

Thanks everyone.
post #20 of 32 Old 04-19-2016, 01:20 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Garage
Not necessarily. The exhaust is bolt on and fully reversible.

I'm in the LA area, let me know if you want to hear it in person.
post #21 of 32 Old 04-19-2016, 02:28 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Thanks everyone - for all your detailed replies. I have debated waiting to get into the 570 since it is a year 1 car. Obviously things like a mis-aligned door - would be really irritating, but not a deal breaker in my opinion. I'm waiting for my test drive coming up next week before I place my order.

MarkNC- I'm envious of your McLaren collection. I love the Blade Silver/saddle tan interior you have in the 570.

Ara_LA - that red looks fantastic. What did you pic for the interior? I'm looking into that color as well.

What is the warranty period on a 570 - if anyone knows off the top of their head.

Thanks for all your input. Feel free to post pics of your vehicles here. I'm always curious is seeing the color combos of my fellow McLaren fans.

I bought because I thought leasing terms for super cars generally aren't favorable but I didn't do any research specifically on the 570S. Also, I'm not sure if I can afford another super car after 3 years. @MarkNC I hope someday I can earn a collection like yours!

I was on the fence about the sport exhaust but I ended up buying it. I felt that I would be less mad about wasted money than having regrets, always wondering what the sport exhaust would have been like.
petrobalkan likes this.

2016 570S Coupe
post #22 of 32 Old 04-19-2016, 02:01 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh4 View Post
There's a bit in first gear. I only really notice it when I'm turning out into traffic. Some of that is likely due to me still being in my learning curve on the car and not wanting to punch it only to end up in some shrubbery on the far side of the road.
I'll bet all of it is actually you not being used to the long throttle throw of a McLaren. It takes some time to get used to that and realize just how far down the pedal goes before the car really jumps to attention. Once I got used to it I really appreciated that I could drive a McLaren more smoothly than a Ferrari even at times when I wasn't being overly careful with my right foot. The 458 throttle and brakes were very jumpy and you had to work at being smooth with them. With McLaren throttle and brakes you have more range of throttle and braking which means smoother driving on the road and more versatility on the track.

I've driven COTA in my cars (the three pictured above) and in a 458. It has this one turn where you keep some light braking through the turn, gradually coming off as you exit the apex and then gradually adding throttle as you approach the next apex. It's much easier to be smooth there in a McLaren than it was int he 458. Smoother = faster.
post #23 of 32 Old 04-19-2016, 02:03 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone1 View Post
Call me crazy, but the 570 is the best looking of the bunch, no?
You're not crazy. I've said many times that the 570S is the best looking McLaren yet. The only one that might look even better than 570S is the 570GT.
post #24 of 32 Old 04-19-2016, 02:10 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
We bought ours.

I don't notice any turbo lag. If you notice it then see my other post on how McLarens have longer throttle pedal throw distances than other cars and, press throttle down further accordingly and hold on for dear life

Manual shifts in the 570S seem great to me.

We purposely didn't buy sport exhaust. My wife said one of her favorite things about the car is that it isn't as loud (inside) as the others. I concur. I don't miss the sport exhaust one bit. Your mileage may vary however. For some people it's their only supercar and they want something that announces its arrival a little further away or they want to hear more of the car when they're in the cabin with the windows closed. Having said that I think the exhaust sound, even with the regular exhaust, is just fine.
post #25 of 32 Old 04-19-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutsuki View Post

I bought because I thought leasing terms for super cars generally aren't favorable but I didn't do any research specifically on the 570S. Also, I'm not sure if I can afford another super car after 3 years. @MarkNC I hope someday I can earn a collection like yours!

I was on the fence about the sport exhaust but I ended up buying it. I felt that I would be less mad about wasted money than having regrets, always wondering what the sport exhaust would have been like.
fantastic looking 570S!! Do you get allot of attention?? People asking what it is??
post #26 of 32 Old 04-19-2016, 11:25 PM

Mark thanks for posting for some reason it fails to post when I quote you.

We're building one of the larger homes in the Four Seasons private residences in Disney World. The 570 really doesn't fit my buying profile and was sort of looking for an excuse to purchase one. I usually get the halo or top model. The home will be used at times for families in programs like Make-A-Wish for example and utilized for some personnel in our families umbrella of ownership. I had to negotiate with Disney to get approval for space for 3 cars in a garage instead of two single garages and adjacent space for a golf cart. I was thinking of a 570 and Tesla X for that residence. I could see it 6 months from now, "WTF I have to have a remote bouncing around the car for the gate & Garage!"

Thanks for taking the time to write these posts.

"Pure Evil" Expected DEC. 2016
post #27 of 32 Old 04-19-2016, 11:41 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormBringer View Post
I was thinking of a 570 and Tesla X for that residence. I could see it 6 months from now, "WTF I have to have a remote bouncing around the car for the gate & Garage!"
First of all it's awesome you're doing something like that Make-A-Wish.

Second: I wouldn't let the garage door/gate opener thing, or any of the other things I listed, hold me back from buying it. I'd buy the 570S all over again even without it. It's just so much fun to drive and that's what really counts.
post #28 of 32 Old 04-20-2016, 12:17 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor7000 View Post
fantastic looking 570S!! Do you get allot of attention?? People asking what it is??
I'll answer Yes, it gets a ton of attention. Most people have no idea what it is. And when you tell them it's a McLaren, they have no idea what that is... for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNC View Post

Second: I wouldn't let the garage door/gate opener thing, or any of the other things I listed, hold me back from buying it. I'd buy the 570S all over again even without it. It's just so much fun to drive and that's what really counts.
This.
J1n likes this.

-Ara

2016 VR 570S
2008 GT3 RS
post #29 of 32 Old 04-20-2016, 01:04 AM
nh4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor7000 View Post
To echo what Ara said... Yeah, the car gets a lot of attention. Twice I've been asked if it's a P1, once if it's a 650. I'm not sure how many times I've been asked what it is. I'm guessing I've noticed people in cars around me taking pics or video probably a dozen times. Last Sunday we had a couple pull up next to us in a parking lot and ask about the car, we had a guy in a Mustang drive a few slow laps around the car in a different parking lot, and later the same day, in a third parking lot, we came back to the car with a couple parked a few spots over trying to figure out what the car was.

And I've only had my car for about ten days!

-Jamie.
ZombiePhysicist and Kutsuki like this.

“I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac
post #30 of 32 Old 04-20-2016, 03:39 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormBringer View Post
Mark thanks for posting for some reason it fails to post when I quote you.

We're building one of the larger homes in the Four Seasons private residences in Disney World. The 570 really doesn't fit my buying profile and was sort of looking for an excuse to purchase one. I usually get the halo or top model. The home will be used at times for families in programs like Make-A-Wish for example and utilized for some personnel in our families umbrella of ownership. I had to negotiate with Disney to get approval for space for 3 cars in a garage instead of two single garages and adjacent space for a golf cart. I was thinking of a 570 and Tesla X for that residence. I could see it 6 months from now, "WTF I have to have a remote bouncing around the car for the gate & Garage!"

Thanks for taking the time to write these posts.

"Pure Evil" Expected DEC. 2016
haha I am living the dream, I got a 570S and a Tesla in my garage. Minus the house, still living in a town house :O priorities.
ZombiePhysicist likes this.

2016 570S Coupe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.