McLaren Life banner

Sports Exhaust - must have?

15K views 48 replies 22 participants last post by  Josh/AWE 
#1 ·
So my dealer has two cars available, none of which has the sports exhaust. Another car is inbound with the sports exhaust. I've searched the forum, but the only discussions were before the cars were on the road.

Coming from Porsche products, I can tell you without hesitation that if you don't order the sports exhaust (pse in Porsche speak), you are definitely missing out on something. Is it the same thing for the McLaren variant? Is it adjustable, on/off switch like on the Porsche? I can't tell from the website or order guides. Thanks

#2 ·
It's a must have for me. Its volume varies based on the mode you're driving in. So you can have it loud and soft depending on your mood.

Some people save the money when ordering so they can do an aftermarket exhaust later. I know AWE is developing one now but I don't think there are any currently available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Its volume varies based on the mode you're driving in. So you can have it loud and soft depending on your mood.
Note that it's only the volume inside the car that can be set to change from one mode to another; the exhaust always sounds the same outside the car.

I have the sports exhaust and it's ok, but I have neighbors and I don't need every drive to be an "event", so I often wish I could turn down the volume. Judging from earlier conversatons here, though, I'm in the minority; most people prefer the sports exhaust, and nearly all who dislike it want it to be louder, not quieter.

#4 ·
Spots exhaust a must have for me. Front the outside the exhaust note is constant but the ISG controls the internal volumes, there are a few threads on the 650 forums about this.

If you want something with valve control the sport exhaust does not have this option.

#10 ·
I was on the fence about the sport exhaust. My problem was I ordered before seeing a production 570S. Every McLaren 12C or 650S on the lot had a sport exhaust and I had no way to listen to one without it. At the end of the day I felt I would be less mad about "wasting" the money vs always wondering what it would of been like if I had pulled the trigger on the sport exhaust.

#12 ·
My red 570s came with no Sport Exhaust, i ordered for 8000$ a Sport Exhaust from Mclaren and had it installed, i took the factory basic exhaust and shipped it to Quicksilver Exhaust UK. They are using it to do an R&D for a new exhaust for 570s. I will keep you guys posted on what Quicksilver will release.

Basically I would recommend you to wait that Quicksilver comes with something very soon! It should sound even better than factory Sport Exhaust.

#13 ·
My car didn't come with the sport exhaust either. I thought about adding it afterwards, but the price just seemed silly. I'm most likely going to do the sport cats by either AWE or Fabspeed, and probably have a custom muffler delete fabricated for the rear section, unless something else comes to market first.

#19 ·
I've been wondering the same thing - going back and forth on my build spec. I decided NOT to get the sport exhaust. Luckily my local dealer had two different 570S's on the lot, one with sport exhaust and one without. I listened to them both and couldn't tell the difference for the life of me.

I took videos of both cars starting and revving. Check them out:

https://youtu.be/O7_Skt8jdpM

https://youtu.be/5hGFUEK4q1w

https://youtu.be/5vBTk22O688

I'd be very interested in comments if anybody else out there can tell the difference between them. I also checked on the setup menus of both cars and they both had the ISR with the exact same settings and options. As far as I can tell, the exhausts are the same except that the sport exhaust is made of Inconel and is lighter.

My daily driver is a 991 Carrera S with sport exhaust. It for sure makes a big difference in the sound of the car when it is switched on. That said, I rarely switch it on. When I test drove the car I thought it was too quiet without it. But after living with the car for four years, the normal setting is plenty loud (especially with the top down) and the loud setting just drives you nuts after a while. It's great in loud mode on the track though - many people have commented how good the car sounds.

#20 ·
I'd be very interested in comments if anybody else out there can tell the difference between them. I also checked on the setup menus of both cars and they both had the ISG with the exact same settings and options. As far as I can tell, the exhausts are the same except that the sport exhaust is made of Inconel and is lighter.
The Inconel exhaust is (I think) only for 12c / 650s. For Sports Series I'm pretty sure both the normal and sports exhaust are made out of the same stuff for the 570s.

ISG is separate from the exhaust and is on all the cars, regardless of the type of exhaust they have.

-Jamie.

#21 ·
From the 570S configurator:

EXTERIOR
Sports Exhaust

The optional sport exhaust is designed without a central mixing box, allowing greater vocals to be experienced from the M838T engine. It's constructed from inconel, a material that can cope with extreme heat yet allows for a lower weight system to be produced.

#25 ·
I was invited to test drive 570s on test track this weekend. Im am not sure if there were only press cars...omg..the 570s is loud....458 loud...I estimate at least 92-95 decibels inside...outside even more..you could hear the cars miles away on the track. 570s has the sound the 488 GTB should have had.
I heard a 675 lt for comparison yesterday...it is also wicked loud.....I like it and I am a bit jealous as my 650s which arrives soon is more quiet ;).

#36 ·
I am OK not having the sports exhaust. Car is plenty loud. Would I have ordered it myself with sports exhaust? Yes. Why not? But it isn't like the lift option - which is something you don't want to miss. If I do decide I want a change, there will be options available.

#26 ·
Went to my dealer today to go check out Xpel wrap done on a demo 570s. Took it out for another quick spin :) It had the sports exhaust and it was plenty loud. Enough so that I felt the B&W sound option that I ordered was superfluous as it was in that car as all i did was listen to the engine.

That said there was a gorgeous black 570s minimally equipped @$202k (no sports exhaust) that was sitting on the showroom floor and had been passed up by buyers wanting to purchase or order cars with sports exhaust only. Interesting how folks want, or believe they need to tick the box on conflicting sound generators. I love audio and have spent several 10s of thousands in order to generate my own clean power, exotic fluid filled cables, finest DACs, etc., in order to deliver a zero-noise sound room, yet I ordered the B&W to compete with the sports exhaust in the 570 - silly me. The only critical listening I'll do in that car will be the exhaust. Looking forward to what the tuners will be able to deliver.

#31 ·
As someone on the other side of the divide having ordered every exterior carbon fiber option I truly get what you are saying about how polarizing it is. I'm someone that likes consistency of materials, so a little touch of carbon mixed with palladium didn't work for me. While I find the palladium to be ok visually especially with darker colors, to me it feels like a second choice plastic material. Optional aluminum and paint on all parts currently palladium would have probably had me sticking with paint to maintain continuity and quality. But since that isn't an option I opted to upgrade the exterior palladium - all of it. It's not a rational justifiable expense as it's purely cosmetic, but hey the entire car is not a rational purchase. So I'm all in :)

#33 ·
I think you're showing restraint. I think it's more like "wtf is wrong with you having that plastic s*** all over such an amazing car. You might as well put fuzzy dice and spinners on that you cheap piece of walking excremental. You are the destroyer of good taste, a pox on thy plastic trim!" >:) or something close to that. :)

#41 ·
I'd be surprised if at least one of them didn't given the volume of 570s planned.

As an aside, I just got word yesterday that my car is now six weeks delayed to wk24 (leaving the factory). My 'assembly line maths' on another thread wasn't too inaccurate (based on last known VINs to leave MPC I had calculated it would be 5 weeks late). Have had to cancel one of the planned road trips, but on a positive side, it gives me more time to plan the exhaust fix (as I'm calling it).

What's your opinion on stock cat replacement? cat bypass or high-flow? pro's and con's?

Is it best to change the cats first (and leave stock exhaust in place) and see how it is? or the other way around?

I've talked to several 'domain expert' people who know a lot about this topic and got different answers...

#42 ·
As an aside, I just got word yesterday that my car is now six weeks delayed to wk24 (leaving the factory). My 'assembly line maths' on another thread wasn't too inaccurate (based on last known VINs to leave MPC I had calculated it would be 5 weeks late). Have had to cancel one of the planned road trips, but on a positive side, it gives me more time to plan the exhaust fix (as I'm calling it).
Was yours eta for completion wk 18? I haven't heard anything but i was meant to start 19 and complete 22. I wonder if mine got pushed as well no news yet from the dealer.

#43 ·
Regarding Sports Exhaust, please note, as the miles come on, the sound matures and sounds more than pleasant in any neighborhood unless you step on it, then hold your ears because it also becomes louder with age.
I have 25k miles and LOVE how my sports exhaust sounds and would not trade it for anything else.
As for carbon fiber, i have red/black interior so it is set off beautifully, in my opinion, all black interior, i feel, is a bit too much. As for paddle shift, i like the strong feel of the aluminum paddle shifter best but the rest inside and out is mostly carbon fiber because for me, it says McLaren ever more and it seems to be one of the first things everyone sees except for the doors as they open, that is ALWAYS first.my airbrake in carbon Fiber is equally a nice touch, especially with my color being titanium.

#47 ·
Why the hell not! Besides, having a better sound is one of the things that sets the 570s apart from previous models; so just maximize that. In terms of disturbance.....it's not as big an issue as you imagine because you are always just passing by, so your noise is just annoying anyone who hears it momentarily (assuming ur not doing laps around the block like a d-bag). so..... furthermore, 5000+ rpm is absolutely epic in the tunnel! My GF almost came when she heard it.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.