McLaren Life banner

Does the 570S deserve a CF Exterior?

8K views 58 replies 24 participants last post by  Ducati1199 
#1 ·
Hi guys, another one who's been lurking for a while but now become part of the clan. By way of introduction I was (and still am) into bikes, as you can see from the avatar, and got into cars later. Currently enjoying a 2015 991 GT3 but feel I'm on the McLaren slippery slope. Always thought I might go second hand 650S but saw the 570S at Sonoma raceway when SF McLaren sponsored a HOD w/e last year. Looks killer in my eyes!!
Anyway after going through all the posts, pictures, product guide etc I can't figure out if a car as good looking and performing as this can go out without CF front splitter, rear bumper and diffuser? I'm ok with no CF roof but numbers rack up quickly with MSO defined paint (I'm thinking mauvine blue but no idea why as I'm not a purple person but it sure looks impressive!) plus exterior CF pack, wheels, interior etc. I appreciate this is very subjective and the dark palladium is certainly not a bad finish but it's not CF? Should this car be fully dressed i.e. have a CF finish with an MSO defined paint?

#3 ·
There is no right or wrong answer here. As you alluded to, it is purely subjective. As such, it is my belief that the final decision on whether a given 570S should have all the CF bits lies strictly with the owner of the car. Remember... beauty is in the eye of the beholder (as the saying goes).

What one person finds amazingly beautiful, I guarantee that you'll find another person who thinks the same thing looks ugly. So why not just customize the car with the aesthetic options that YOU want and also feel comfortable paying for? At the end of the day, it would be you who's driving the car around and not any of us. If you feel the car would look just fine without any CF (and you don't want to pay the extra money for all the CF bits), then I think that's the way you should spec it. Don't spec the car the way you think others would want it... spec it for YOU!

#5 ·
The consensus is, if you do any CF on the outside, then you need to go all in on CF because the contrast between parts will bite at your eyes. I'm not sure if thats the case, but that was some of the thinking in the past threads.

However, with the above, some noted, even when you get all the 'normal' CF options, there are a few external parts that you cannot get in CF (forget which offhand) and that you might have to resort to MSO (pricey) to complete. Whether those few parts matter, I dunno.

That said, the vast majority said, screw external CF, and say they like the dark palladium, and reserve CF flourishes for inside the cabin.

Anyway, the above is the rough summary, or how I remember it, the last time this topic crept up.

I will spare you from my personal views regarding CF and let others chime in. :D

Oh yea, and welcome to the forum!

#6 ·
CF is purely to taste. I will have exactly zero external CF and I couldn't be happier about it. I will have the internal CF as, well, I like it! As you said though, nothing runs the cost of the car up quicker than the carbon options. These cars have nothing to do with need, but if you're going to get one, it should be designed the way you want it. You like the CF and don't mind the cost, get it!

Welcome to the club!

-Jamie.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the responses. My decision will be totally based on my personal taste and budget and not the next owner's or re-sale value.
I love the CF but cost does weigh into my equation so I was wondering whether people thought this car should have a cheaper paint option with CF or an impact MSO defined / bespoke color and no CF. Guess it's the later. Love these first world problems!!! :D

#14 ·
I just find the 570 the best looking of the bunch and with what's under the hood/rear as well makes a very impressive package. If a well spec'd / low mileage 650 dropped into place though I would certainly consider it. BTW you're the one who got me on this slippery slope so no more advice!! :D

Have you seen them up close in the dark palladium.. it's very nice too. Gotta love the fear of making the wrong choice :p
I know silly, crazy first world problems and I'd imagine it's pretty hard to make a bad choice with this car.

#11 ·
I chose full carbon fiber with cheap paint. (As others have said, purely subjective.)

Anyway, here are pictures of the parts that will still be Dark Palladium even if you get all the MSO Carbon Fibre options:

1. Window sills:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mclarensanfrancisco/24244412851/in/album-72157663158268972/

2. Under the rear "flying buttresses":
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mclarensanfrancisco/24218725072/in/album-72157663158268972/

3. Left and right edge of the rear deck:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mclarensanfrancisco/23700106543/in/album-72157663158268972/

These three parts are actually contiguous. They're also very slim and pretty unnoticeable. (I doubt anyone who does not own a 570S would be able to realize these are not carbon fiber.)

#13 ·
Like many have said t's totally personal preference ; some may like carbon on the inner and some outer.

I got the exterior pack 1 avoided two as afraid of stone chips on the lower bits on the car after spirited drives. I also did like the interior carbon but the mrs wasn't really fond of it. Saved me a some money there.

I didn't mind the MSO rear deck tho.. looks wicked

Have you seen them up close in the dark palladium.. it's very nice too. Gotta love the fear of making the wrong choice :p

#15 ·
I saw a bunch of McLaren in Spa (12c and 650s), and what struck me is that I though they had all CF splitters, side intakes, etc. but it was only when I went closer that I realized that some of them were just in dark palladium.
Both were nice.
I would go for CF inside the car, no doubt about it, but for the exterior I could live with dark palladium.

#16 ·
It's interesting that you chose the term "deserve" carbon fiber. The "entry level" and "baby McLaren" labels have certainly done much to mold the perception of it. The 570S is by far the best looking car in McLaren's lineup. I personally think exterior carbon fiber will look dated in 10 years and specced mine without any, but if you like cf the 570S absolutely "deserves" it!

Then again, maybe I'm just being sensitive :).

#18 ·
It's interesting that you chose the term "deserve" carbon fiber. Then again, maybe I'm just being sensitive :).
Hey SS, appreciate that feedback as you've highlighted a deficiency in my grammar!!!
I was trying to imply that a car that is as good looking and performing as the 570 should have the best. I'm also making a personal opinion that CF is "the best". In other words from a cost POV I was going with no CF but wondered if such a great car didn't in fact deserve the very best so it should have external CF.
I'm in the same camp that the title of "baby super car" seems a bit ridiculous on a 570 HP, 3.1 sec 0-60 mph machine!!

#21 ·
I agree that the CF is very much personal preference.

I got to see two 570S cars next to each other and I thought the car with the CF door inserts and the side intakes looked better than the one without. The palladium parts on the side of the car looked very plain to my eyes compared to the CF.

#31 ·
Yesterday I locked in to my 570s via McLaren London. Thanks to Andy & Simon for their help - They have provided a first class purchase experience - so far ;-)

Having decided a long time ago I wanted a dark exterior paint colour, I eventually decided to go for lots of CF on the inside, and just a small amount of external CF.

For the external items, I started by deciding that the CF rear deck & plenum cover is a real work of art, and to my eye looks absolutely stellar, so I wanted that. Then I reflected that a CF rear deck wouldn't look right in isolation, so at the 12th hour I added CF front aero blades and CF side skirts. Palladium everywhere else externally. Added full body paint protection film to keep it all in good shape.

Although I ended up with a total price that was a little more than I had planned, waking up today I have no buyers remorse at all... I think its important to get exactly what you want on day one as you only end up regretting it later.

Todays 1st world problem solved!

Looking forward to the summer!

#32 ·
Interesting discussion.

I'm not sure about the "deserve" part either as was said earlier. It's more about the buyer than the car, the car being inanimate and not self-aware at all.

But as an esthetic issue its in the eye of the guy/gal paying. As a provenance issue, its fourth road going model of a company that basically wrote the book on automotive use of carbon fiber. McLaren works in carbon like Van Gogh worked in oil. If McLaren made a bicycle, which they did with Specialized, what would it be made of? So some homage to that proud history, I for one, feel is appropriate—or "deserved".

Disclaimer: there may not be a bigger fool as easily separated from his pennies than I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 ·
The way I look at it is whether "I" deserve carbon fiber. I have a spec on order with a substantial amount of CF on the exterior. The only options not specified as exterior CF options are the roof, rear deck and mirrors. And as I wait before locking in the spec I'm contemplating adding these options to have all exterior CF options on a Pearl White car.

I'm already regretting not specifying the additional parts fighting the dissonance of cost vs desire. But I can still fix this before lock in. My rationale is if I intend to keep this car for a long time then the cost of these additional parts over the lifetime of my ownership of the car would pale compared to any regrets over a $9k roof, etc.

I actually think the dark palladium looks pretty good, but in order to keep the car within the price target for the segment CF was packaged as optional.

I wonder how the designers of the 570s at Mclaren would spec their own car?

#34 ·
I bet it would be all palladium.

What do you think about the thought process of "all carbon or no carbon?" As much as I enjoy the look of it and #BecauseRacecar,, it is the cost of a serviceable DD in options. So some soul searching is appropriate. But let's face it, all these cars are ridiculous. To try to judge these purchases as some sort of existential crisis is a fool's errand. Get what you like and can afford. Just not a Prius for god's sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#37 ·
I visited the assembly line last week. It was interesting to see the different CF approaches of the cars on the line. Unsurprisingly I didn't see very many cars that had gone for lots of external CF. A good proportion had no external CF at all. Light coloured cars often had more CF - which again isn't really a surprise. I was there partly to try and spot a car with my chosen colour. Got lucky and saw just one. A 650 rather than a 570. Came away happy...!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.