McLaren Life banner

Car alarm goes off randomly

11K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  jessica 
#1 ·
Just got my 2017 570GT a couple weeks and the car alarm randomly goes off when it's parked in my parking garage. It's an underground garage for the complex I'm at and it only happens while parked here. It goes off for maybe 20 seconds then turns off and seems it do it at random. Couple of neighbors have told me they heard it in middle of night / early morning.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
Yes, I had my buddy's 570S for a few days back when I was considering purchasing a 570 (went route of 12C instead) but noticed if I left the car unlocked and someone opened the door without having the key on them, the car alarm would go off. Is it possible you are leaving the car unlocked and maybe someone is opening the door?

#6 ·
I have had mine 3 weeks and it does the same but outside my house and normally in the middle of the night just to be annoying! I am having to press the deactivation for the motion sensor button on the door each time I lock it to keep it quite. I am told a simple visit to the dealer to turn down the sensitivity and or the volumetric area the alarm is scanning will sort it.

#10 · (Edited)
There's a setting where you can turn this off. I had my software updated a couple of months ago and the exact same thing happened as the system reverted to the factory defaults. I don't recall exactly where it is in the menus, but if you scroll through the menus using the stalk on the left you will get to a vehicle setting that addresses the alarm. Turn this off and you should be good.

#13 ·
I've had my 570S for nearly a year now. Occasionally, my alarm goes off when I use the key less entry. I walk up to my car, push the button while the key is in my pocket. The car unlocks and the door opens but my alarm goes off as well! It's kinda strange that it alarms but also will let someone in the car.

My 570S is currently at McPhilly for annual maintenance and I asked them to look into it. I'll report back on what they find.

#14 ·
You are not alone McLarenguy28.

My 12c does the same thing! But curiously did not do this until had soft close latches installed almost a year after purchase.

Could this be the common denominator here? Another odd occasional happening after these were installed. Sometimes I go out to the garage to my locked car and the drivers side window is down an inch or two. When I unlock it, I get the same long beep you get when you lock the car and the trunk or engine cover is open. Each time that happens, I have the drivers door fault message where I have to open the passenger door and open and reset the drivers door by pulling the interior release strap. Very odd. Doesn't happen often enough to warrant real annoyance, I chalk it up to a quirk of owning such a tech laden supercar:)

#15 ·
Be careful of not locking the car in the garage for long periods of time to avoid this.

Locking the car, as with other computer laden cars, puts the car fully to "sleep." Not locking the car leaves the car awake and can run the battery down more rapidly.

Of course using the trickle charger negates this.

#16 ·
Appreciate the help, so far no luck.

I pushed the "towing" button on the door and doesn't help. Car alarm is still going off randomly.

Looks like I either need to turn the alarm off completely (which I don't want to do) or just keep annoying people in my building with the alarm going off a dozen times a day until my appointment with McLaren in a week!

#17 ·
McLaren Alarm systems are extremely sensitive. I found I could not turn the alarm system on if I had a tennis racquet on the roof. do not have soft close doors, no need for this option, never a false alarm but it did go off once when someone was touching it, they ran quickly afterwards...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.