McLaren Life banner

Um, what's the GT supposed to be?

19K views 58 replies 28 participants last post by  nh4 
#1 ·
I understand the 540 and 570, but what's difference supposed to be between the rumored GT and the S?

#8 ·
The GT is a different body - think e-type.
But I don't think we will see it this year.

#11 ·
According to my dealer a sort of hatchback similar to what Volvo did back in the day and ZP has described above. Big cover opening sideways over the engine, apparently enough space to store a Bicycle (which would sell it to me). Looking forward to see it in the flesh, could be a replacement for my RS6 (one can dream :)).
Will otherwise wait for P14 to replace my MP4, 570 would feel like a step down (beautiful as it is).
Florian

#14 · (Edited)
I'm still trying to figure out where the GT can even position itself. I think it's one too many cars, maybe two too many with the 540C also going too far. If the GT is a grand touring version of the 570S, it will likely be closer to the cost of the 650S than it would be to the 570S because it would need the advanced suspension for comfort and higher end materials for the interior. It would have a place if it were a front engine, completely different design, but it quite doesn't fit in here. The 570S with the all-leather interior already fits the GT bill. The GT should really have just been a optional package on the 570S, not a different model.

I also don't understand the point of the "C" asian market detuned stuff. What, are wealthy asians only 90% as wealthy and all want only 90% of the power? I'm not understanding this. If you can afford a 625C, you can afford a 650S, the price point is not that far off. It sounds more like a way to burn off over-produced parts that were never used when the 12C was canned.

#15 ·
I think to be fair to the GT, let's see what it really is. Right now it could be as lowly as the 570 or 540 with a trunk sled addon or something more grand like you note. Who knows. Let's see.

With regard to the C version, I didn't understand it for the 650/625, but I do understand it for the 540/570. It gives mclaren something to compete with the 911 turbo and the 911 turbo S. Now I'm not sure the market needs such fine grained options, but I suppose Mclaren will look at the numbers and if there is a decent split, it can continue on with both. If not, they can kill it off.

#18 · (Edited)
@Pete, here's a similar photo I found in my stash of photos. It's a bit brighter and you can see more details. When I saw this photo, I thought perhaps it was a very early 540C prototype because the rear diffuser appears to be exactly the same as the diffuser found on the red 540C that had its recent debut in Shanghai. But then of course I was thrown off by the rear glass over the engine. Didn't know what to make of that... unless perhaps those clever folks at McLaren were purposely trying to keep the final production version of the 540C heavily disguised (knowing there would be spy photos taken) until its debut. :confused:

Also, notice that this car has the 540C wheels!

Attachments

#19 ·
prototype... appears to be the rear glass over the engine. Didn't know what to make of that...
Ding-ding-ding!

Sports Series: Yes.
Coupe: No.
Spider: Nope.
What's left: GT.

... and that such a form-factor was hush-hush velvet-rope talk at Geneve, et'al!

#28 ·
They show what they think it might look like.

The GT is going to look a lot better than that. In fact, I think it could be the best looking McLaren to date if what I've heard is right.

#29 ·
Given the GT seems likely to break cover at about the time I'll be taking delivery of my 570s I do have a bit of apprehension that I'll get my car and wish I had held out for the GT.

-Jamie.

#44 ·
Still think they should've concentrated on a more lightweight LT version of the 570s rather than a GT but then again McLaren knows best.
A faster version of the slower model line is just asking for overlap and even worse depreciation for the super series imo. The sport series market is more everyday/practicality-oriented and the GT fills a spot not only tailored to that market, but also one that McLaren has yet to fill.

#46 ·
LT has to be at the end of the P13 lifecycle. It's the swan song blow-out version to drive interest in a model run that is about to be refreshed. Plus, if McLaren play their cards right it means they get junkies like @John Galt and I twice in the lifecycle... Once for the 570, and once for the LT.

The roadmap seems to be pretty well defined for Sports Series right now:

MY 2016: 570s / 540c
MY 2017: GT
MY 2018: Spider
MY 2019 or 2020: LT

Obviously nothing is set in stone and McLaren have moved the pieces around the board a bit in the past, so grains of salt all around.

-Jamie.

Reactions: Patricko
#50 · (Edited)
I don't think Jamie is to far off the mark. I have no reason to think he's wrong.

We could, of course, both be wrong.

#51 ·
I enter think Jamie is to far off the mark. I have no reason to think he's wrong.

We could, of course, both be wrong.
What are you talking about? Of course we're not wrong. The universe might take a while to come around, but that doesn't make us wrong.

I'll use this argument here because when I try it at home I get oft reminded of the many times the universe has failed to see my brilliance.

:D

-Jamie.

#53 ·
Had 540 on order but have changed to gt looks gorgous respec car in Pacific Blue and cream off to Geneva to c one at motor show mclaren have one on show in the above colour.
Spec very high have carbon fibre all out side + inside spent a bit more than I wanted too but u can't take with u

#55 ·
Nice, the Pacific Blue looks really good in the GT launch vid.

They've also added Cobalt Violet to the P13 colour palette which is the paint seen on the 540C videos from last year.

Both are special paints (not elite)
I'm guessing that pacific and pacific blue are different. Odd that they'd name a new color so close to such a famous P1 color. As if pacific blue didn't have enough trouble being confused with cerberus pearl

Attachments

#58 ·
Ice silver I believe.

#59 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.