What delivery time were you quoted? - McLaren Life
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 01-02-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

What delivery time were you quoted?

I've pretty much got myself in the position to be able to order a 540C and I'm interested to know what lead times people have been quoted by their dealer compared to how long it actually took for the car to arrive. Ideally I'd like to get the car around July/August time although I have no idea whether this is realistic or not.

Also, what deposit were you asked to leave? I've seen figures quoted of 20% but this seems much higher than I was anticipating!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-02-2017, 08:15 PM

Not sure where you are based, but here in the UK I was quoted approx 4 months by two or three dealers

That was a week or two ago, and that was for a 570s.

There are certainly cars available, or in the pipeline, if you can live with the colour or specification.

Did not ask about deposit.
post #3 of 30 Old 01-02-2017, 09:48 PM

My car's spec locked on Aug 4th and arrived on the USWC first week of Dec pretty much exactly as quoted by the dealer. All the hold-ups and delays experienced in the 2Q & 3Q of 2016 appear to have passed. I'd suggest from date of spec locking to completion of manufacture and testing is approx 4 months, maybe a little less, and then delivery on top of that depending on where you are. What could throw a wrench into these times is the upcoming run of the new P14's? That being said it sounds like McLaren have taken that into account and made provisions.

I paid a deposit of $5,000 in California.

post #4 of 30 Old 01-03-2017, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Cheers guys - looks like I can hold fire for a couple of months then! Not sure if that's a good thing or not!!!

$5k isn't so bad for a deposit and hopefully it'll be something in line with that here in the UK.
post #5 of 30 Old 01-03-2017, 02:13 PM
nh4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidewebs View Post
Cheers guys - looks like I can hold fire for a couple of months then! Not sure if that's a good thing or not!!!

$5k isn't so bad for a deposit and hopefully it'll be something in line with that here in the UK.
One thing to consider, from MY 2016 to 2017 McLaren did bump their prices up a bit. For the delivery date you're looking at you might be on the cusp of the MY change. If you pull your dates in a few months you can get in on 2017 pricing for sure, and also have a few more months to enjoy the car. I fully understand there are likely many other variables that impact timing, but just thought I'd post this as another datapoint.

-Jamie.

“I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac
post #6 of 30 Old 01-03-2017, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh4 View Post
One thing to consider, from MY 2016 to 2017 McLaren did bump their prices up a bit. For the delivery date you're looking at you might be on the cusp of the MY change. If you pull your dates in a few months you can get in on 2017 pricing for sure, and also have a few more months to enjoy the car. I fully understand there are likely many other variables that impact timing, but just thought I'd post this as another datapoint.

-Jamie.
I'd love one tomorrow to be honest but I'm in the middle of building a house so all my focus is on that at the moment.

Any idea what the likely price hike will be though?
post #7 of 30 Old 01-03-2017, 08:47 PM

I ordered mine way back in 2105 with a £5k refundable deposit, then an additional £10k paid with the final spec in Feb 2016. It was early days though and there were a lot of production issues to deal with, parts, another shift to train up, etc. I had 3 delays in delivery, eventually the car arrived in October! It was very frustrating at times but I couldn't be happier with the car now it's here. I'm sure your wait will be a lot shorter and production seems to be rolling along...start pacing now!
post #8 of 30 Old 01-03-2017, 10:02 PM
nh4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidewebs View Post
I'd love one tomorrow to be honest but I'm in the middle of building a house so all my focus is on that at the moment.

Any idea what the likely price hike will be though?
No idea if there would really even be one. From '16 to '17 for the 570 it was, I think, 2% increase on the car and then some options went up and some actually got cheaper. As I type this I just realized that I have no idea if there was a price hike on the 540.... In the US we don't have a 540 option.

-Jamie.

post #9 of 30 Old 01-06-2017, 05:10 PM

Newbie here. Just got bumped on my 540c from Jan 3rd until end of month.
Frustrated......
post #10 of 30 Old 01-06-2017, 10:03 PM
nh4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassguy View Post
Newbie here. Just got bumped on my 540c from Jan 3rd until end of month.
Frustrated......
It sucks that you weren't told until the last minute, but there are many here that would have loved it if their delay was only three weeks! I'm sure the time will pass quickly and once you've had some time in the car, all ills will be forgotten!

-Jamie.

post #11 of 30 Old 01-09-2017, 12:55 PM

There is a back story to this. I was told car was going to be ready late November 2016 however as I was away in December i thought i would request the car was a 2017 registered vehicle which Mc said they would be happy to do. So I had really expected car would have been with them for a few weeks before they needed to prep and offer for collection.
Although they said end of Jan 2017 i am still awaiting the confirmation of this? Its all a bit amateurish for a company with the profile of McLaren and has somewhat soured what was going to be the highpoint of my automotive purchasing to date!
post #12 of 30 Old 01-09-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Its all a bit amateurish for a company with the profile of McLaren and has somewhat soured what was going to be the highpoint of my automotive purchasing to date!
I'm not trying to defend McLaren here but remember as a car company McLaren have only been going about 5.5 years and bringing many (maybe too many??) different models to the market place so I'm sure there will be bumps in the road. There were a fair few last year and there were some unhappy people on this forum with delays to the Sports series. However, I think everyone of those who got delayed would attest to the wait being worth it though. Hang in there and I would bet that after 30 mins driving time once it's yours all will be right in the world - it's a truly amazing vehicle.
post #13 of 30 Old 01-09-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Although they said end of Jan 2017 i am still awaiting the confirmation of this? Its all a bit amateurish for a company with the profile of McLaren and has somewhat soured what was going to be the highpoint of my automotive purchasing to date!
Sounds familiar, all I would say is hang on in there! I nearly bailed on mine, I agree the situation's less than ideal and not what I expected either, I also thought they'd be through with production delays by now but obviously not! All I can say is the car exceeds all expectations, it really is something very special.
post #14 of 30 Old 01-10-2017, 10:12 AM

Cheers guys. They have had all my money since November so not going anywhere else! besides I promised myself one when the company announced it was going to make road cars and i have only been waiting for the point where my spare funds meet their price point.
nh4 and Dash like this.
post #15 of 30 Old 01-10-2017, 03:01 PM

Hey!

I ordered mine in early December 2015 I believe. I was told hopeful march date but it came in June if I recall?

I gave 10K, then the second deposit upon speccing was 15K if I recall.

You won't regret this car!

Present/Past: 2016 McLaren 540C (April)
2017 Porsche Macan
2016 BMW 435i M Package
2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder
2010 Audi R8, 2013 Audi S4, 2011 Audi TT
2008 Porsche GT3 RS, 2012 Porsche 991 C2S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.