Buying in canada - McLaren Life
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 12-29-2015, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Buying in canada

Hey guys, looking to get into my first supercar, and am really leaning towards an 540/570. I know the 540 isn't avail in the US, but does anyone know what the pricing will be in Canada? could always take a road trip from PA.......I am looking in the 150k range, so obviously I would have to wait a year or so to get a used 570s (will they depreciate as rapidly as the 12c?). Would most of you guys hold off for the 570 or shoot for a 540?

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 12-29-2015, 12:45 PM
Owner
Owner

Your idea of buying in Canada is not a good one. There is only one dealer for all of Canada so the prices are full MSRP no negotiating. Then pay duty on the car when you import it to the USA and you would have no warranty. and of course since the car is not sold in the US, pretty sure it would not even be possible to import.

12 XKR-S 03 Lotus Esprit
06 Ford GT 83 DMC-12
66 Sunbeam Tiger -91 MR2
72 E Type 82 BJ-42
77 Datsun 280Z 76 FJ-45 Pick up
82 HJ-45 15 Jag XJ
96 911 C4
08 MB SLK55
14 50-12C
15 F Type R
16 Project 7
16 Aston Martin DB 9 GT Bond edition
17 Aston Martin Vantage V12 S 7 Sp Manual

Last edited by Zachary; 12-29-2015 at 01:01 PM.
post #3 of 29 Old 12-29-2015, 02:00 PM
nh4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMclarenOwner View Post
Hey guys, looking to get into my first supercar, and am really leaning towards an 540/570. I know the 540 isn't avail in the US, but does anyone know what the pricing will be in Canada? could always take a road trip from PA.......I am looking in the 150k range, so obviously I would have to wait a year or so to get a used 570s (will they depreciate as rapidly as the 12c?). Would most of you guys hold off for the 570 or shoot for a 540?

Thanks in advance!!
What Zachary said!

I think you'd be better off waiting for the 570 prices to come down a bit though the apparent demand means prices might not dip as much as the 12c / 650s has.

Alternatively, go get a used 12c that's already taken the depreciation hit, extend the warranty, and then have your McLaren now while you wait to see what prices do on Sports Series models as well as see what else McLaren comes out with.

Being in PA you have McPhilly and they have a pretty solid reputation on the forum for being awesome.

-Jamie.

“I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac

post #4 of 29 Old 12-29-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for the replies. Yeah I wasn't sure how the whole Canada thing even worked and if it were even possible.
post #5 of 29 Old 12-29-2015, 08:24 PM
nh4

Garage
Quote:
Thank you guys for the replies. Yeah I wasn't sure how the whole Canada thing even worked and if it were even possible.
McPhilly does have 4 2012 coupes listed on their website between 160k and 170k. End of the year is typically a good time to buy. I don't know if you'd get down to your 150k target, but it certainly doesn't hurt to call them and see what they might be willing to do.

http://www.rdsautomotivegroup.com/in...ar/2012/?flt=T

-Jamie.

post #6 of 29 Old 12-29-2015, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!! I thought I read somewhere that they will come get your car and transport it to the dealer when you need service etc done. Is that true? For all models?
post #7 of 29 Old 12-29-2015, 09:52 PM
nh4

Garage
Quote:
Thank you!! I thought I read somewhere that they will come get your car and transport it to the dealer when you need service etc done. Is that true? For all models?
I'm getting a 570 from Miller (McGreenwich) and they certainly do that. So long as the car is covered under warranty the transport charges are covered. I live in New Hampshire so it's no small thing and it is also one of the reasons I was OK buying from a place so far away from me (3.5-4.5 hours depending on traffic, weather, and construction).

I'd say call Philly and ask. I'm pretty sure the answer is 'yes' they will do transport. @MarkNC or @ZombiePhysicist might be able to tell you for certain.

-Jamie.

post #8 of 29 Old 12-30-2015, 01:03 AM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nh4 View Post
I'm getting a 570 from Miller (McGreenwich) and they certainly do that. So long as the car is covered under warranty the transport charges are covered. I live in New Hampshire so it's no small thing and it is also one of the reasons I was OK buying from a place so far away from me (3.5-4.5 hours depending on traffic, weather, and construction).

I'd say call Philly and ask. I'm pretty sure the answer is 'yes' they will do transport. @MarkNC or @ZombiePhysicist might be able to tell you for certain.

-Jamie.
They have for me, but I bought new, and am not sure if it changes if you do not buy new? I'd suggest making that part clear as part of any negotiations.

So the way it works is if something is wrong that is covered by warranty, they'll transport. If for some reason it turns out to either be working fine and I'm an idiot, I think it will not be covered. I believe they also cover the annual service with shipment (but don't quote me on that).

Bottom line is any time I had legit problems, transport was arranged.

I've had some minor issues where IRIS was acting up, and never wanted to push PhiliMac's kindness on making a trip just for that and either waited for the annual checkup or some other issue cropped up, and then the IRIS issue also addressed. In the mean time, i think my iPod has made 3 trips to the mother ship to Woking for study and analysis (i.e., mocking). Hopefully the fact that I have over 7 albums worth of ABBA escaped their attention!
post #9 of 29 Old 12-30-2015, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Just a random question, how many years can you finance one of these? And do they have leading options? Seen an article online that was dated in April that said you could lease one, but needed a huge chunk up front and if you wanted to buy it after 3 years, you were paying way more than if you would have just bought it at the beginning.
post #10 of 29 Old 12-30-2015, 02:37 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
Your idea of buying in Canada is not a good one. There is only one dealer for all of Canada so the prices are full MSRP no negotiating. Then pay duty on the car when you import it to the USA and you would have no warranty. and of course since the car is not sold in the US, pretty sure it would not even be possible to import.
Not true exactly. There were certainly factory subsidized discounts on 650S in canada.
post #11 of 29 Old 12-30-2015, 03:19 AM
nh4

Garage
Quote:
Just a random question, how many years can you finance one of these? And do they have leading options? Seen an article online that was dated in April that said you could lease one, but needed a huge chunk up front and if you wanted to buy it after 3 years, you were paying way more than if you would have just bought it at the beginning.
Now you're on a slippery slope

I don't know about the lease side but there are places out there that will do 144 month car loans. If you do a search in the 12c section for Woodside Credit you should be able to dig up a thread where some of us were running through the pros and cons of different financing options.

-Jamie.

post #12 of 29 Old 12-30-2015, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

144 months?!?!? I was thinking more like 84 at the most lol.
post #13 of 29 Old 12-30-2015, 01:01 PM
nh4

Garage
Quote:
144 months?!?!? I was thinking more like 84 at the most lol.
My credit union (DCU) will do 84 months at 4.24%. Click on the 'rates' tab to see the table:

https://www.dcu.org/loans/auto-loans.html#rates

-Jamie.
Neil likes this.

post #14 of 29 Old 12-30-2015, 05:13 PM
Owner

Canada exchange rate is quite favorable right now...
post #15 of 29 Old 12-30-2015, 05:14 PM
Owner

Glad I locked in 2.5% on mine several years ago
nh4 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.