2012 MP4 Warranty? Value? - McLaren Life
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By isv
  • 1 Post By Shawn

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-18-2017, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

2012 MP4 Warranty? Value?

Hi, This is my first post on Mclaren Life Canada. I have a 2012 MP4 12-C, I purchased a few years back from Mclaren Toronto. I absolutely love the car! My factory warranty expires this August and was wondering if anyone has had any experience without warranty? Dealership wants around 16K for the 2 year - extendable up to 12 years total. The vehicle seems to keep dropping in value compared to other super cars. Is this a good car to keep? Long term? Production #'s seem to be much lower compared to 458's and other supercars. Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf IMG_4894.pdf (3.46 MB, 47 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-18-2017, 02:34 AM

Garage
good question... interested in what others answer.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-18-2017, 09:28 PM

I wasn't going to post an answer for fear of being called a "traitor", but what the hey. I had been admiring McLarens for a while and in March of '16 took the plunge. I found a 2012 12C, Carbon Black/ Black interior with tan seat inserts, 2600 miles, with a transmission that had been replaced under warranty. The purchase price included one year of warranty, the major service done, and truck delivery (about 100 mi). The car was fantastic, amazing performance. I've owned over 50 cars, my three previous cars just to compare were a '09 Corvette Z06, '10 Porsche Turbo 6-speed, and I traded a '14 Turbo S pdk in on the Mac. The Turbo S was almost as quick, but you were always aware of dragging almost 500 extra pounds with you everywhere. Also, the P car electric steering, while getting better, can't touch the Mac. In one year I put on about 3100 trouble-free miles. I knew as the year end was approaching I would have a decision to make. Pay $4500-4700 a year for another year or two warranty, plus the yearly maintenance 1500-? I dragged the decision out until the week I was due in for maintenance. I guess I folded, because I decided to get another P car, a certified '14 GT3, I've had 6 Porsches so I know them pretty well. Also unexpectedly my insurance dropped $1500/year! Do I miss my absolutely trouble-free 12C, Hell yes! Will I get another Mac, probably. I do wish McLaren had a large parts depot somewhere in this country, and I wish there were some independent shops around. I say this despite that fact that I live 15 mi from Philly Mac, probably the finest most customer friendly Mac dealer in the country; but would would I own the 12C without a warranty, no.

Last edited by Gauhog; 04-18-2017 at 09:34 PM. Reason: added some words

post #4 of 8 Old 04-18-2017, 10:23 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77MP4 View Post
Hi, This is my first post on Mclaren Life Canada. I have a 2012 MP4 12-C, I purchased a few years back from Mclaren Toronto. I absolutely love the car! My factory warranty expires this August and was wondering if anyone has had any experience without warranty? Dealership wants around 16K for the 2 year - extendable up to 12 years total. The vehicle seems to keep dropping in value compared to other super cars. Is this a good car to keep? Long term? Production #'s seem to be much lower compared to 458's and other supercars. Any thoughts?

Price has been stable the last couple of years, may have bottomed out. I'd shop around for a better warranty price if you can. The warranty cost was discussed in a couple of threads here. You just can't buy a better, or more beautiful IMO, supercar for the price.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-18-2017, 10:30 PM
isv
Owner

You should be able to get a considerably better warranty price, 16k even in canadian dollars sounds ridiculously high.

Personally I would not keep my 12c without the warranty. Keep the car if you enjoy it and can't find something else that tickles your fancy, don't keep it because you think values will improve imo.
ZombiePhysicist likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-18-2017, 11:07 PM

Garage
Im leaning toward not extending my warranty when it runs up unless they offer me a really good deal. Overall car has been very reliable for me and through the time its been covered I've had all the little things done (new HVAC screens, updated coolent clamps, IRIS2, updated sw).
post #7 of 8 Old 04-19-2017, 02:44 PM
Owner

My 2012 12C now has 29,500 miles, and the last three years and 15K miles have been trouble free. I've been without warranty since Jan. 2015, and have luckily had no issues. I'm thinking about selling the car for reasons completely unrelated to it, so I might add two years of warranty at the next service to facilitate the sale (at a higher price). Having no warranty is obviously a bit of a gamble, but I just think the warranty costs are too high. I'd rather take the risk and self-insure, as it were, than "lose" the money on unused warranty cover. No one can tell you what you should do though, it's really just a matter of personal appetite for risk.
ticat928 likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-19-2017, 04:00 PM

I recently just purchased my 570s 2 year warranty through Mac Beverly Hills ($7k usd, no tax). I live in Houston. Everything I have read on the forum says Mac Beverly Hills gives the best deals. Houston would not match the Bev offer. Expect to pay $9kish USD for 2yrs on 12c's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.